It was a no-brainer: if I see a story from Renee Stevens, then I automatically read it. Once again I was not disappointed -- well, except for the fact that I wanted to read more about Cyan and the universe in which he lives. More, please!

The fact that no other Blues are around (or known) is clearly important for Cyan to acknowledge: the few "truths" that he has heard may simply be myths, so I was glad to see that he has the strength of character to rise about what he has been taught. There was a sense of excitement I sensed -- despite the fear -- about moving on, and my admiration grew another notch that it was because he had hurt a childhood friend. It would have been so easy for him to simply be bitter and even enjoy the fact that he had hurt someone who had hurt him.

So now it begins, and I can't wait. Thanks, Renee, for a great and teasing start to a new story!

John

It was a no-brainer: if I see a story from Renee Stevens, then I automatically read it. Once again I was not disappointed -- well, except for the fact that I wanted to read more about Cyan and the universe in which he lives. More, please!

The fact that no other Blues are around (or known) is clearly important for Cyan to acknowledge: the few "truths" that he has heard may simply be myths, so I was glad to see that he has the strength of character to rise about what he has been taught. There was a sense of excitement I sensed -- despite the fear -- about moving on, and my admiration grew another notch that it was because he had hurt a childhood friend. It would have been so easy for him to simply be bitter and even enjoy the fact that he had hurt someone who had hurt him.

So now it begins, and I can't wait. Thanks, Renee, for a great and teasing start to a new story!

John

Hi John!

Thank you so much for posting! I'm glad that you weren't disappointed in the first chapter and I promise, there is more to come soon. I'm not 100% sure what the posting schedule for Challenging Fate is, but the story is completely finished and ready to go.

There is so much that you will learn about Cyan as the story progresses, but I definitely agree with you about the way he reacts to knowing that he had hurt a childhood friend. It would have been easy for me to make him bitter, but I felt that would be the easy way out and I wanted Cyan to be better than that.

Thanks again John and I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the upcoming chapters!

Cheers

~Renee

Well, that's just it, I suppose. It's a great theme, but it's been done a few times. Therein lies the challenge. I'm anxious to see what you do with it. Posted Image

Well, I've never been one to back down from a challenge, so hopefully I can live up to it and do something a bit new :)

• 2 weeks later...

So our Blue takes the high road and saves the Peacemaker dragon from the evil wizard. Posted Image We'll have to see how that turns out - friend or foe. Given Ryder is a Peacemaker, I'm hoping for the best. Posted Image

So all this wizard had was the stone? Not much of a wizard! Posted Image

Given his attitude and the implied rarity of Blues, he prolly felt all he needed was the stone to overcome a filthy shifter. I am glad he got what he deserved though. Can't wait to see what comes out of this new character. I do wonder what color he is as he conveniently returned to human form before we got to see his color. Could it be that Cyan has found another Blue? I can't wait to see what Renee has in store for us.

According to Cyan, Ryder is a Peacemaker dragon, not a Warrior dragon. It's not clear that Peacemakers come in colours. Posted Image In fact, there's a lot we don't know as yet. There have only been 2 chapters. The only info we have on Blues is they are hated amongst Warrior dragons and they don't (can't?) mate. It seems that mating is something that is valued by the Warriors.

So our Blue takes the high road and saves the Peacemaker dragon from the evil wizard. Posted Image We'll have to see how that turns out - friend or foe. Given Ryder is a Peacemaker, I'm hoping for the best. Posted Image

Thanks for the post about the story Conner! Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner, it's been nuts. I hope you enjoy the journey that continues from this point and that the rest of the story keeps you interested! You probably already know that I won't give away and future plot points, so... *evil grin*

So all this wizard had was the stone? Not much of a wizard!

Herm... that's a good point.... guess he was just too shocked to use any of his other wizardry, thinking he wouldn't need it when he had the stone that blocks their magic and keeps them from shifting.

Given his attitude and the implied rarity of Blues, he prolly felt all he needed was the stone to overcome a filthy shifter. I am glad he got what he deserved though. Can't wait to see what comes out of this new character. I do wonder what color he is as he conveniently returned to human form before we got to see his color. Could it be that Cyan has found another Blue? I can't wait to see what Renee has in store for us.

Thanks for the post! Glad that you liked what happened to Talmir. I didn't want him to get off easily. As to not seeing Ryder's dragon, that was completely intentional and I definitely had my reasons for it. Don't worry, you'll get some answers soon :) Not all of them of course, but some..

According to Cyan, Ryder is a Peacemaker dragon, not a Warrior dragon. It's not clear that Peacemakers come in colours. Posted Image In fact, there's a lot we don't know as yet. There have only been 2 chapters. The only info we have on Blues is they are hated amongst Warrior dragons and they don't (can't?) mate. It seems that mating is something that is valued by the Warriors.

Thanks for another post Conner!!! So, yes, there's a lot that is not known yet. I did want to comment on the part about mating being something that is valued by the Warriors. Since that was covered a bit in Chapter 1, I feel like it's something I can address without ruining any of the upcoming story. While mating is valued in the dragon shifter world, it's not really the fact that a blue can't mate that has caused their hatred. It's more than that. It's the "stories" of blues, who are fairly rare to begin with, going insane for whatever reason. Better to hate and fear what is virtually an unknown. Thank you again for reading and as a note to EVERYONE, I am so enjoying the discussion going on about the story! Thank you!

The discussion can only be here, because you have weaved an intricate plot from the beginning that has us hooked on every word that is written. I for one wait with baited breath to see what further awaits our protaganist(s).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 5 is posted and it is somewhat bittersweet.  Cyan and Ryder have connected but according to Ryder it cannot be!!!?!???

Why does life have to be so complicated?  I guess it is part of the drama, but the ordinary need for love and acceptance is pretty basic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have loved every word so far. While I might agree that it started out a little Duckling-ish, it quickly moved Away from comparison To anything I've read before. As was already said - Renee Stevens wrote it, then i Must read it!

Chapter 5 is posted and it is somewhat bittersweet.  Cyan and Ryder have connected but according to Ryder it cannot be!!!?!???

Why does life have to be so complicated?  I guess it is part of the drama, but the ordinary need for love and acceptance is pretty basic.

Yes, it is a bit bittersweet, but just like in real life, sometimes things get complicated.  You should know be my now hon, I have to put my characters through the wringer.  I think it's ingrained in me, lol.  Anyways, I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapter.  Only one chapter of the story left and it will be posted (I think) on the 16th. 

I have loved every word so far. While I might agree that it started out a little Duckling-ish, it quickly moved Away from comparison To anything I've read before. As was already said - Renee Stevens wrote it, then i Must read it!

*blush* thank you jkeele!  I'm so glad that you are enjoying the story and I hope that the ending that is coming keeps you coming back for the next story!  Thank you so much for reading and look forward to what you think about the end!