Sign in to follow this  
Renee Stevens

Challenging Fate By Renee Stevens

Would love to talk to my readers about my newest story, Challenging Fate, in the GA Premium section! Let me know what you think!

It was a no-brainer: if I see a story from Renee Stevens, then I automatically read it. Once again I was not disappointed -- well, except for the fact that I wanted to read more about Cyan and the universe in which he lives. More, please!

The fact that no other Blues are around (or known) is clearly important for Cyan to acknowledge: the few "truths" that he has heard may simply be myths, so I was glad to see that he has the strength of character to rise about what he has been taught. There was a sense of excitement I sensed -- despite the fear -- about moving on, and my admiration grew another notch that it was because he had hurt a childhood friend. It would have been so easy for him to simply be bitter and even enjoy the fact that he had hurt someone who had hurt him.

So now it begins, and I can't wait. Thanks, Renee, for a great and teasing start to a new story!

John

It was a no-brainer: if I see a story from Renee Stevens, then I automatically read it. Once again I was not disappointed -- well, except for the fact that I wanted to read more about Cyan and the universe in which he lives. More, please!

The fact that no other Blues are around (or known) is clearly important for Cyan to acknowledge: the few "truths" that he has heard may simply be myths, so I was glad to see that he has the strength of character to rise about what he has been taught. There was a sense of excitement I sensed -- despite the fear -- about moving on, and my admiration grew another notch that it was because he had hurt a childhood friend. It would have been so easy for him to simply be bitter and even enjoy the fact that he had hurt someone who had hurt him.

So now it begins, and I can't wait. Thanks, Renee, for a great and teasing start to a new story!

John

Hi John!

Thank you so much for posting! I'm glad that you weren't disappointed in the first chapter and I promise, there is more to come soon. I'm not 100% sure what the posting schedule for Challenging Fate is, but the story is completely finished and ready to go.

There is so much that you will learn about Cyan as the story progresses, but I definitely agree with you about the way he reacts to knowing that he had hurt a childhood friend. It would have been easy for me to make him bitter, but I felt that would be the easy way out and I wanted Cyan to be better than that.

Thanks again John and I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the upcoming chapters!

Cheers

~Renee

This first chapter has "ugly duckling" written all over it. Posted Image

This first chapter has "ugly duckling" written all over it. Posted Image

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D

Well, that's just it, I suppose. It's a great theme, but it's been done a few times. Therein lies the challenge. I'm anxious to see what you do with it. Posted Image

Well, that's just it, I suppose. It's a great theme, but it's been done a few times. Therein lies the challenge. I'm anxious to see what you do with it. Posted Image

Well, I've never been one to back down from a challenge, so hopefully I can live up to it and do something a bit new :)

And Chapter 2 has been posted!! What are your thoughts?

So our Blue takes the high road and saves the Peacemaker dragon from the evil wizard. Posted Image We'll have to see how that turns out - friend or foe. Given Ryder is a Peacemaker, I'm hoping for the best. Posted Image

So all this wizard had was the stone? Not much of a wizard! Posted Image

Given his attitude and the implied rarity of Blues, he prolly felt all he needed was the stone to overcome a filthy shifter. I am glad he got what he deserved though. Can't wait to see what comes out of this new character. I do wonder what color he is as he conveniently returned to human form before we got to see his color. Could it be that Cyan has found another Blue? I can't wait to see what Renee has in store for us.

According to Cyan, Ryder is a Peacemaker dragon, not a Warrior dragon. It's not clear that Peacemakers come in colours. Posted Image In fact, there's a lot we don't know as yet. There have only been 2 chapters. The only info we have on Blues is they are hated amongst Warrior dragons and they don't (can't?) mate. It seems that mating is something that is valued by the Warriors.

So our Blue takes the high road and saves the Peacemaker dragon from the evil wizard. Posted Image We'll have to see how that turns out - friend or foe. Given Ryder is a Peacemaker, I'm hoping for the best. Posted Image

Thanks for the post about the story Conner! Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner, it's been nuts. I hope you enjoy the journey that continues from this point and that the rest of the story keeps you interested! You probably already know that I won't give away and future plot points, so... *evil grin*

So all this wizard had was the stone? Not much of a wizard!

Herm... that's a good point.... guess he was just too shocked to use any of his other wizardry, thinking he wouldn't need it when he had the stone that blocks their magic and keeps them from shifting.

Given his attitude and the implied rarity of Blues, he prolly felt all he needed was the stone to overcome a filthy shifter. I am glad he got what he deserved though. Can't wait to see what comes out of this new character. I do wonder what color he is as he conveniently returned to human form before we got to see his color. Could it be that Cyan has found another Blue? I can't wait to see what Renee has in store for us.

Thanks for the post! Glad that you liked what happened to Talmir. I didn't want him to get off easily. As to not seeing Ryder's dragon, that was completely intentional and I definitely had my reasons for it. Don't worry, you'll get some answers soon :) Not all of them of course, but some..

According to Cyan, Ryder is a Peacemaker dragon, not a Warrior dragon. It's not clear that Peacemakers come in colours. Posted Image In fact, there's a lot we don't know as yet. There have only been 2 chapters. The only info we have on Blues is they are hated amongst Warrior dragons and they don't (can't?) mate. It seems that mating is something that is valued by the Warriors.

Thanks for another post Conner!!! So, yes, there's a lot that is not known yet. I did want to comment on the part about mating being something that is valued by the Warriors. Since that was covered a bit in Chapter 1, I feel like it's something I can address without ruining any of the upcoming story. While mating is valued in the dragon shifter world, it's not really the fact that a blue can't mate that has caused their hatred. It's more than that. It's the "stories" of blues, who are fairly rare to begin with, going insane for whatever reason. Better to hate and fear what is virtually an unknown. Thank you again for reading and as a note to EVERYONE, I am so enjoying the discussion going on about the story! Thank you!

The discussion can only be here, because you have weaved an intricate plot from the beginning that has us hooked on every word that is written. I for one wait with baited breath to see what further awaits our protaganist(s).

Chapter 4 has been posted!  Enjoy!

It is and I did! While Cyan has been a prisoner of solitude, it seems Ryder has been a prisoner of sorts too. 

Very very true DDK.  So glad that you enjoyed the chapter and the next one will be out this Saturday!  Only three more chapters to go and I hope you enjoy each and every one of em!

Chapter 5 is posted and it is somewhat bittersweet.  Cyan and Ryder have connected but according to Ryder it cannot be!!!?!???

Why does life have to be so complicated?  I guess it is part of the drama, but the ordinary need for love and acceptance is pretty basic.

I have loved every word so far. While I might agree that it started out a little Duckling-ish, it quickly moved Away from comparison To anything I've read before. As was already said - Renee Stevens wrote it, then i Must read it!

Chapter 5 is posted and it is somewhat bittersweet.  Cyan and Ryder have connected but according to Ryder it cannot be!!!?!???

Why does life have to be so complicated?  I guess it is part of the drama, but the ordinary need for love and acceptance is pretty basic.

Yes, it is a bit bittersweet, but just like in real life, sometimes things get complicated.  You should know be my now hon, I have to put my characters through the wringer.  I think it's ingrained in me, lol.  Anyways, I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapter.  Only one chapter of the story left and it will be posted (I think) on the 16th. 

I have loved every word so far. While I might agree that it started out a little Duckling-ish, it quickly moved Away from comparison To anything I've read before. As was already said - Renee Stevens wrote it, then i Must read it!

*blush* thank you jkeele!  I'm so glad that you are enjoying the story and I hope that the ending that is coming keeps you coming back for the next story!  Thank you so much for reading and look forward to what you think about the end!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Renee Stevens
      Just a short little snippet to what will hopefully be the Prequel novella for the Sci-Fi story I want to write....

“Day?”

Dayton looked up from his seat at the kitchen table. “Yeah?” He stood when Colin looked like he was going to fall over and helped his husband to a chair. “You okay?”

He was  surprised to see Colin up and about. For the last week, Colin had been sick and all but quarantined himself in their bedroom. The only time Dayton had even seen his husband was when he took him meals, and even then, Colin made him leave immediately. Dayton understood. Colin didn’t want him getting sick, or passing on whatever he had to their daughter. As much as he understood, Dayton’s back missed their bed, and Dayton missed his husband.

“I don’t think so.” Colin didn’t look it either. His face was pale, his skin sweaty, and even his voice lacked life. “I think we should take me to the medical center to get scanned.”

“No.” Dayton refused to believe that Colin could be infected. “It’s just a cold. You’ll be better in a few days.”

Colin shook his head. “It’s been a week, Day. And instead of feeling better, I’m getting worse.” Colin reached out and took one of Dayton’s hands in his cold clammy one. “We have to know. I can’t risk you or Sheena getting infected. You know I’m right.”

Dayton did, but that didn’t mean he had to like it. If Colin was infected, that was it. He’d lose his husband as soon as he walked through the scanners.
    • By Renee Stevens
      Well, it's the start of another week, and to help start it off right we're going to share a wonderful review that Aditus was kind enough to share with us. This week's featured story is Joined by Blood by...me. Thank you, Aditus, for such an awesome review. Joined by Blood is just one story that can be found in our Premium section. Don't have Premium? You can get it here. You can also try to win a Premium subscription by entering the April Fool's Day Short Story Contest. Hope you enjoy the review!

Joined by Blood

Renee Stevens

Reviewer: Aditus

Word Count: 79,234

As suggested by Timothy M., I’m going with an old favorite of mine this time: Joined by Blood, which can be found in the premium section. Those who know me are probably rolling their eyes when they read ‘vampire’, but hey, a story full of hot, fanged guys–I could never resist those!

The story starts with Damian locked up in a cell and shackled to a wall. He never believed in vampires until they kidnapped him and his baby sister. Ever the big brother, all his thoughts are on escaping so he can save Rebecca. Then he learns she actually instigated their abduction to become a vampire herself, and, on top of that, Damian was the price she readily paid to reach her goal. His world crumbles.

Still reeling from the revelation, Damian thinks he is losing what is left of his sanity when he hears a voice in his head asking him about his injuries. Shortly after, several men defeat his jailers and free him from his prison. But alas, they are vampires too.

Just a few days ago, Damian didn’t know vampires existed beyond fiction; now he learns there are in fact different kinds: those who still have their soul, like the clan who saved him, and those who don’t, like the group his sister joined.

Even then, Damian won’t believe Rebecca is beyond saving. He is fiercely determined to find a way to get his sister back, even though everyone tells him it is impossible.

Soon, Damian finds himself plunged into a war between good and evil. Throw in a sexy vampire prince, a brooding second-in-command from the tall, dark, and handsome variety, a prophecy, love, betrayal, and family issues, and you have the perfect mix for a nice weekend. (In my humble opinion.)

When I first started reading Joined by Blood, I couldn’t wait for Renee to post the next chapter. She wove some evil cliffhangers into her tale of twists and turns, which, even though they no longer matter as the story is complete, still spur the reader on. If you plan on reading the story, make sure you have enough time and there aren’t any trivial things like work, family, pets, or friends that are going to distract you.

Category: Fiction Genres: Drama, Romance, Paranormal Tags: vampire, gay, modern Rating: Mature

• By Cia
      Monday we featured Renee Steven's story, Reece's Choice, with a few of her favorite reviews. There's also a signature graphic you can download if you want to share your love of her story. Didn't see it? Don't worry you can still get it here.

Renee says... I chose this scene because it's honestly my favorite scene in the entire story. I've actually had the spider thing happen to me, except I didn't have anyone else there at the time. I love putting some of my personal experiences into stories, and this was on that I was just waiting to use and I loved the way it turned out.

Want to read more? Check it out here!
    • By Cia
      Usually Renee's the one who posts the blog, not the person being featured, but if you didn't know, she's also one of our Signature Authors! This month we're featuring her story, Reece's Choice. Inspired by one of the prompts, this morphed into a longer story for readers to enjoy.

Length: 25,461

Description: When confronted with his family’s bigotry, Reece is faced with the first of many choices. He can continue to tolerate the caustic atmosphere or he can walk away and finally focus on making himself happy. His cousin’s friend Dave unintentionally becomes the catalyst that forces Reece to make a choice. He can only hope it's the right one.

Reviews:
      Valkyrie says... I really enjoyed this story. It was a nice, feel-good story that was a nice contrast to some of the darker stories I've been reading lately.

Aditus says... Wonderful story, Renee! It was just the right dose of love and drama. I really enjoyed this.

Skinnydragon says... Thanks Renee for a wonderful story. I'm happy it ended here.
      Maybe there can be future adventures the boys will get into, but it's certainly not necessary.
      The title actually says it all. Reece's choice. He made a good one!

Cannd says... I enjoyed this alot. I loved these two characters. I would have loved an epilogue to know if they made it past the first year, but I guess it is a more realistic view of a new relationship that has all the signs of being right. They have high hopes and time will tell. I guess the hope for a definite success can't be helped by some of us romantics though. It had a nice ending and it seems like Dave's parents will help make up for his shitty parents. They seem to have a good chance. Thanks.

Remember to check back on Wednesday to see what excerpt Renee Stevens chose to share with readers!

Want to show your support and enjoyment of Renee's story? Download the banner above for your site signature!

• By Renee Stevens
      Gay Authors has always managed to remain free to its members, one of the ways that it has managed to do so is through its Premium Subscribers. Members choose to help support the site and keep it going by purchasing Premium Content which consists of a number of stories that are only available on the site by purchasing Premium. There are many great stories to be found in the Premium section.

Now, I've been promising my readers a surprise.... so here it is.

You might have noticed over the last few weeks that we've had two premium stories posting at the same time. Studly Ranch Hands has been posting on Wednesdays, while Journey's End by MA Church has been posting on Saturdays. Sadly, Journey's End finished posting on Saturday, so that means Studly Ranch Hands will be the sole Premium Story posting. You might be asking, what does that mean for the posting schedule since Premium usually posts on Saturday's. Well, you're in luck. I'll be posting Studly Ranch Hands twice a week, so you won't have to wait an entire week for the next installment. From this point forward, Studly Ranch Hands will be posting on Wednesdays AND Saturdays. So, for our Premium Promo this week, let's take a look at the current premium story, Studly Ranch Hands.

Studly Ranch Hands

Renee Stevens

*Currently Posting*

Marc got what he’d wanted for years, but it’s enough to tear apart his friendship with Casey. Marc tries to avoid Casey, but that’s not always possible. A series of incidents puts both of their jobs on the line and Marc and Casey have to decide whether or not the resulting consequences are worth continuing their feud. Or can they put the past behind them and learn to work together as the team they used to be, and maybe even explore what's between them?

Category: Fiction Genres: Drama, Romance Tags: Mature Adult, Animals, Gay, North America, Rural, Anal

Rating: Mature Words: Currently Posting

Studly Ranch Hands Excerpt:

Marc swallowed the last of his own drink and headed toward the bar for the next round. Despite being the sole bar in town, it wasn’t busy and within a couple of minutes he was turning to head back to his table with three fresh beers. As he turned he felt his shoulder brush against a newcomer and turned to apologize, and found himself face to face with Casey. Had he realized Casey had the same idea he would have stayed in his seat and let one of the other two go.

“Poulson.” Casey’s greeting dripped with hostility.

“Morgan.” Fuck the apology. Marc pushed past him but stopped when Casey mumbled something under his breath. His entire body went stiff and he struggled to breathe through the anger. He should ignore it and walk away, but it built inside him until he was seething with every breath he took. “What the hell did you say to me?”

“You heard me.” Casey leaned against the bar and tried to stare him down.

“That’s bullshit and you know it.” Marc took a determined step toward Casey. He had a couple of inches on his former friend and wasn’t above trying to intimidate him. Not anymore.

“It’s not bullshit if it’s the truth.” Instead of backing down, Casey straightened up, anger flashing in his eyes.

“I’ve had it with this crap.” Marc clenched his jaw. He’d tried to keep his cool, but if Casey was itching for a fight that bad, Marc was ready and willing to oblige. He ignored the little voice in his head telling him it was a bad idea. Marc plunked the bottles he was holding onto the bar. He flexed his hands at his side and waited. He wouldn’t throw the first punch, but if Casey did, he wasn’t about to walk away. “I wasn’t the only one there and you damn well know it.”

“You may as well have been.” Casey sneered and grabbed the beer the bartender set down. He tried to shoulder his way past, but Marc refused to move.

“Oh, I don’t know about that. When are you going to admit you liked it?” Marc reached out and grabbed hold of Casey’s arm before the man made it past him. With a wrench of his arm he whirled him around. The beer Casey was holding slipped from his grasp, shattered on the floor, and beer splashed up onto their boots. Their gazes collided and Marc could see the fury simmering underneath the surface. Determined to use his height advantage, he took a step forward until there were a mere couple of inches separating them, forcing Casey to look up to meet his eyes. When Marc didn’t release his hold on him, Casey knocked his hand away.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..