silly question

scotty94

Dear GA members,

I was walking through Manchester the other day and saw a homeless man with a dog and this got me thinking.

If a homeless man has a cat instead of a dog would  you feel sympathy for him and will it have the same impact and would you or would not give him some spare change.

Just an silly question I want to know what you all think.

yours,

scotty94

I don't see the difference, if a homeless person has a cat vs a dog for a pet,  I will still feel the same toward the person and treat them with compassion and respect since they are still a human being. Them having a pet just shows that they havent lost their ability to be caring and love a pet.  Animals love us unconditionally.

I have given money to homeless people before but I would prefer to help in other ways now.  We don't have a large homeless population where we live but in the summer months there are a few more than ususal.  Often times when we go to the grocery store we will get some extra items (non-perishable food and some hygiene items) and stop and give it to them.  It just a few dollars and I'm fortunate enough to have plenty to spare.

(The last time I gave a homeless man money, I watched him... he walked straight to the store and bought a bottle of alcohol and sat on the street drinking it so i will help in other ways)

• Like 1

I agree with KC.  I've always kind of thought that a cat wouldn't stay with a homeless person.  But I could be wrong.  They just seem smarter than that.  Cat: "Oh...this one can't give me food on a regular basis.  Time to find some!  Goodbye smelly man!" type of thing.  I live in a place with a pretty consistent beggar population and I never give them money because I don't know what they do with it.  Since I walk to work, I'll often bring fruit in for my coworkers and so I'll give them an apple or a bottle of water or something they can USE, but won't abuse.

We have a significant homeless population year-round. Several of them have dogs, but I've never seen a cat with any of them. To me, it makes no difference. Those with a pet take comfort in the pet, but it takes more resources. I help when I can. Never seen a homeless person with a fat pet, but they appear healthy, and happy to have somebody to hang out with, smelly or not. Dogs are like that.

I'm more likely to give money to homeless people in winter than in summer. And if they have a pet and it looks like they treat it right, I guess that might make me more inclined to help them. Sadly, I often see homeless people with big dogs who are obviously being mistreated. They get the dog because they want a big, scary animal to scare off potential threats, but they don't know how to take care of the animal. A friend of mine once called animal protection services because they witnessed a homeless person kicking their dog.

Trigger warning: drugs

One time, a homeless man came up to me and said, 'I'm really sorry to bother you, but I just missed the needle truck and I need to shoot up, so could you please give me some money so I can go to a pharmacy and buy clean needles?' He seemed desperate, definitely in withdrawal, but not dangerous or scary. It was obvious that if he didn't get hold of money to buy clean needles he'd end up using whatever he could find. I gave him the money. At least he was honest about it. Better than him getting an infection or worse from sharing needles with someone....

a cat would never put up with being homeless. 

That said, i don't donate to the homeless. i once bought some lunch and some dog food for a homeless guy in Brighton who threw it at me because he wanted money for cigarettes. i give to the Salvation Army soup kitchen whenever we walk past, because they feed like 100 people a day in Brighton, and that's work worth doing

Depends, I prefer dogs over cats, but I also need to know that the homeless person is real and not faking his needs.

Once, I saw this homeless guy outside a McDonald's asking for spare change to get food. A women came out of the place and offered him a quarter pounder.

The homeless person said, "No thanks, I'm a vegetarian"

Let's see, if you are hungry and homeless, does it make sense to obsess about whether you're eating meat or not? (My silly question, I know)

Depends, I prefer dogs over cats, but I also need to know that the homeless person is real and not faking his needs.

Once, I saw this homeless guy outside a McDonald's asking for spare change to get food. A women came out of the place and offered him a quarter pounder.

Let's see, if you are hungry and homeless, does it make sense to obsess about whether you're eating meat or not? (My silly question, I know)

He shoulda taken it...it's not like McD meat is actually meat.

I dunno, I can understand this... I know some fairly militant vegetarians, of the punk and hippie variety. I could see several of them ending up homeless at some point (they live fairly bohemian lifestyles to begin with, and I know several who have, over certain periods, squatted in abandoned buildings), and I doubt they would give up their principles for that reason. Of course, most of them are resourceful enough that they'd dumpster-dive for food (restaurants and supermarkets throw away all sorts of perfectly edible food), so if they were to beg, it would more likely be for something other than food (saving up for a sleeping bag, maybe?), but that probably doesn't go over well when you're panhandling... 

Edited by Thorn Wilde