1 hour ago, TalonRider said:

I recently watched a Ytube video that has segment with a spider chasing the curser around the screen.

It must have taken care of all of the bugs in your computer and was looking for anything to eat.  

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Bill W said:

If I remember correctly, outdoor spiders don't do well inside the house and inside spiders don't do well outside due to the different types of feet they have.  If that's the case, then it seems as if this remedy is of little use, except to the companies that make the products you'd use in that concoction.  

Well it it seems that at least, you and I will be saving ourselves some money. As will Aramis( I mean Mancunian ), after reading this. Maybe even D'Artagnan( oops, I mean TalonRider ) if he stops by.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

Well it it seems that at least, you and I will be saving ourselves some money. As will Aramis( I mean Mancunian ), after reading this. Maybe even D'Artagnan( oops, I mean TalonRider ) if he stops by.

I was looking at the information to the right of this column and saw that you've posted 311 times and I've posted 286.  The next nearest guy is  Zombie with 82 posts.  At least we're getting top billing.  :worship:

• Haha 3

image.jpeg.efc6cc133be42ed02001712c1eea6bb1.jpeg

No! Hell, No!

image.jpeg.46ec914917a5b83bc0916b6646def8b7.jpeg

Stripey Follows His Dream

Jumping Spider Munching on a Fly

image.jpeg.9e7319076377d4c68b59fd01f9d0cd1a.jpeg

Anterior Median and Anterior Lateral Eyes (Phidippus pius?)

First of all, let me start off by saying that the color of the eyes is natural, and that is the way it came out of the camera. The green is made even more apparent by the fact that I took this photo on a green pillowcase. I honestly don't know why the eyes of jumpers show up as different colors, but they are beautiful nonetheless. I was planning on taking it easy inside today as Friday I was attacked by ants and now my left foot is swollen, covered in sores, and itchy as hell. But I got bored this afternoon and headed out to the nearby field to see if I could find any bugs. Initially, I didn't have much luck, but as I was about to leave, this female jumper perched on a large blade of grass caught my eye. I couldn't believe she was a jumping spider at first due to her enormous size. I'm sure I've seen bigger ones, but she was at least 20mm in body size, she was huge! I coaxed her into a zip-loc as it was getting dark and headed home to photograph. I set her (and some leaves I had collected) on a green pillowcase. I used a small bike light as a focus assistant (basically a spotlight so I could see through the viewfinder). I took all the photos I wanted and then released exactly where I had found her. This photo (a crop from the image below) was taken with my usual 28mm (at f/8) reversed on a few extension tubes, which works out to be somewhere between 4:1 and 5:1. I really wish I had my bellows with me so I could have taken this photo at 10:1 as she was really being cooperative with all the picture taking.

Photo by

:cowboy:

• Wow 1

I still say that all indoor spiders must die immediately upon discovery. Of course someone else has to kill it, because I've already left, but that's a different story. As far as I am concerned, all spiders could disappear and if be ok. I understand their ecological necessity, so let me explain. If you live anywhere in western Oklahoma, especially anywhere near the mountains, then you have seen the "little fellow" below. Every year, about this time, they emerge from their little dens to fornicate wildly in public (mating season, whatever). When I was about 5 years old, I did not know this, and while in my front yard, in the middle of the day, suddenly found myself covered (COVERED) in giant fuzzy spiders. It is still a paralyzing fear. I hate them. MLWZ4L9ZSLFH5HZR2HJHIHOHMH5ZRLDHQLTHXHTHLL1HSLPZMHJH9HLRPHZRNH1Z2HYHMLBZ8LJHNHZR4LAZSLBHXH.jpg.34092c0bce5d18f52267f08a48141902.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
8 hours ago, Bill W said:

I don't know if it's a reflection or not, but each eye seems to have the same dark shape in it.  I wonder what that is or what it's caused by.  

In his explanation, he said he put her on a green pillow case and used a spot light. That this was a crop of her on the green pillow case, the full picture was saved by him, but I could not find it to show you. I think the green and checkered pattern were a reflection of it.:cowboy:

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.560ce6b708872ff6090f4dd28229b110.jpeg

??????????

Why do these spiders always look so sad and pathetic, like they haven't got any friends?  Maybe because in some cases they don't. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.cec2a25c8e5eed9ddacac130d19a2872.jpeg

???????????

(Sometimes there is no explanation given, but the photo is so good, I pass it on to you.)

My best guess is that this is the spider's idea of a Halloween jack-o-lantern.

• Haha 5
13 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.cec2a25c8e5eed9ddacac130d19a2872.jpeg

Sometimes… the photo is so good, I pass it on to you

“good” 

Sometimes you come across a word meaning you’ve never previously encountered :o image.gif.11285eead3ca9e135b7a40107173c60f.gif :funny:

• Haha 4

image.jpeg.885614b4fc2b56be517ae9a96f9e5a93.jpeg

Golden Knee Tarantula

Meet the Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula which in the wild would be found in parts of Paraguay and Argentina

image.jpeg.87af36acbda1a0ffd777659812be0868.jpeg

Indian Ornamental Tree Spider

image.jpeg.de65a68f256655b39e237ed0a3c1457e.jpeg

This newfound tarantula is the first known to make its home in bamboo

Bamboo stems provide the spider with ready-made burrows and nests, but the arachnid must rely on other animals or natural forces to gain entry.

• Wow 2
5 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.885614b4fc2b56be517ae9a96f9e5a93.jpeg

Golden Knee Tarantula

Meet the Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula which in the wild would be found in parts of Paraguay and Argentina

I'm sure its coloring is a camouflaging technique, but this design appears to be better suited for it to camouflage itself on a quilt.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.de65a68f256655b39e237ed0a3c1457e.jpeg

This newfound tarantula is the first known to make its home in bamboo

Bamboo stems provide the spider with ready-made burrows and nests, but the arachnid must rely on other animals or natural forces to gain entry.

A tarantula that makes its home in bamboo?  This should be a warning to all of my relatives, the pandas, to watch what they eat,  and this warning would also apply to red pandas, mountain gorillas, and chimpanzees.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.bf4bea8d48b63dad60c727dea59efa15.jpeg

Stephanopis Barbipes

Habitat: Australia Status: Not Listed This odd-shaped spider is interesting for a number of reasons. Firstly, this is a type of crab spider known as Stephanopis barbipes. The word barbpipes means ‘bearded legs’

It appears that this spider is wearing boxing gloves.  Are there spiders that are pugilists? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1