A Hunger Games Theme Park

methodwriter85

Hunger Games: The Theme Park

Wow, talk about completely missing the point of the book. It's like when they made an amusement park ride of the Titanic.

How exactly would a Hunger Games theme park work? Would there be a fake forest where people can throw fake weapons at each other? A fake beach where people can run from deadly fog? Or a fake bombed out city where you have to rescue victims?

Well, after the first movie came out, there were numerous unofficial Hunger Games tours.  Some were just bus rides to the various filming locations...others were more "hands on" and could conceivably be the foundation for a theme park, for example:  http://hungergamesunofficialfantours.com/

"Saturday you’ll be dropped on location in DuPont State Recreational Forest to see all the filming location sites used in The Hunger Games™ movie. Your guide will be on hand to assist you – and to teach you survival skills along the way. You’ll then reconvene at Earthshine Discovery Center for lunch. The afternoon will be filled with survival classes that you’ll need to participate in the Game Simulation: archery, sling shot, fire building, special effects camouflage, shelter building and more. In the evening you’ll be treated to a Gala Banquet.    

Sunday – you’ll convene for your Game Simulation. See if you and your team have what it takes to win. Use your new found skills – along with clues you’ve deciphered over the weekend – to survive – and even win the Game on Sunday. "

I was underwhelmed by the movie and I've never read the books, but since it was filmed in the area, the local TV news provided a lot of coverage of the various activities surrounding the movie.  I expect it will heat up again with the new movie.

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't the point of the book. It is the point of the movie. It made millions.

Right, but it's kind of disappointing, because  the theme of the Hunger Games is about rebelling against a corrupt, greedy government and the disparity between the poor districts vs. the rich Capitol, so it's jarring to see Make-up ads and talks of theme parks for the Hunger Games.

Although I do think the Clock would actually be a pretty good theme park idea.