2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Who's excited by girl meets world?

W_L

Is Disney finally taking the hint that they should keep their old viewers happy and go across generations?

Or is this a badly conceived idea to bring back Cory + Topanga, and the old gang? (Yes Mr. Feeney :) )

I want to believe Disney wants to get my viewership with a fun tv show that reminds me of being a kid again too. Alas, I dare to hope

Sorry about all the mistype, but I am extremely excited that part of the TGIF block is coming back to TV.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

I really don't know about this.  I was a huge Boy Meets World fan and I can remember nearly every episode.  Over here, it was probably even bigger than Saved By The Bell was.

Also, I had a major crush on Rider Strong and his hair - but hey, what gay kid in the 90s didn't?

I am naturally sceptical of these kinds of remakes/revivals, there have been disasters in both film and TV.  Part of me wonders how different the storylines will be to when Cory was a child?

I'm quite sure there will be the class nerd (must have a new Minkus), their teacher will have to live next door a la Feeney, and no doubt she will have loved a boy in her class since kindergarten ever since saving him from the scary climbing frames.  Or maybe that's just me being overly cynical.

I hope that this remake/revival does what the original managed to do brilliantly.  The entire series was about Cory, while his parents and siblings were in nearly every episode and featured in a few storylines of their own, they remained very much in the background.

Edited by andy021278

Actually, Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel will be reprising their roles as Cory and Topanga. Mr. Feeney will be back in some capacity (Seriously, you can't do a sequel without Mr. Feeney :D ) Rider Strong has not said whether he is or is not coming back, Michael Jacobs, the show creator and runner, is leaving that as a "surprise". Bring Shawn back, please! I also want to hear what happened to Eric (He's the king of slackers, but still, I've always wondered if he ever got his life in order)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Meets_World

If wiki is to believed, Cory is going to be stepping into the classroom, like his mentor Mr. Feeney. If this show  lasts as many seasons, imagine how his daughter will feel seeing her father as her middle school teacher, high school teacher, and College professor :P I can write the awkward comedic plots in my head now.

Looking back, the early plots were corny and juvenile, the later plots were dramatic and soap opera-like, (Shawn's Half Brother Jack....enough said, I was waiting for Cory's evil twin after that :o ). However, in between all that, the show had a lot of good lessons about life, choices, and relationships between friends, family, and lovers. It was the first young adult show I watched.

Also, the last scene made me cry as a kid and made me cry as I re-watched the series online thinking back on the show:

I can't find the complete clip of the last scene, but I still remember the missing segments (a few touches of comedy and self reflection)

Edited by W_L

• 2 weeks later...

Boy Meets World was my show back in the 90's early 2000's.  I loved Rider Strong (Still do) and Cory and Topenga were a great couple.  I'm excited that there will be a sequel and I hope it does well.  You definitely can't do it without Mr. Feeney.  William Daniels is definitely a favorite of mine for sure.  Mr. Feeney is always who I picture when I think of Dr. McPherson from my Circle of Life series lol.  Anyway It should be interesting to see the characters again, like seeing friends you haven't seen in awhile :)  Hope we get a few good years from this. 

Also wouldn't hurt if Matt Lawrence came back as Jack xD

• 1 year later...

Alright, I'm resurrecting the dead thread.

Yes, it's so freakin corny, but my God, this season especially brings a lot of nostalgia.

Is it weird for a 28 year old guy to be watching a show made for 12 year olds?

Yeah, but I watched the show's predecessor when I was 12 and personally, I wished they had produced this on ABC again instead of their home Disney Network for kids. Certain episodes of Season 2 were geared towards guys like me, not the 12 year olds, like Mr. Squirrel goes to Washington (Eric becomes a Senator, now that's scary politics) or the episode "New Teacher" with an edgy new teacher and an amazing story line that hark back to Mr. Turner from Boy Meets World, who also makes a guest appearance (Damn!). Ms. Harper's lesson is on Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, personally I think a comic book is actually a good lesson plan especially Frank Miller, who I love as well.

I think this show tragically will get cancelled, but I am praying that it will find itself back on the air properly as a regular cable show.

• Like 1

I'm loving it too for nostalgia's sake, even though it is ridiculously corny. :P 

So, it may be weird that a 28 year old is watching it, but I'm only a couple of weeks from being in your exact same camp.

I'm loving it too for nostalgia's sake, even though it is ridiculously corny. :P

So, it may be weird that a 28 year old is watching it, but I'm only a couple of weeks from being in your exact same camp.

Want to binge Watch BMW together :D

• Like 1

Hmm, I don't know if it's weird, but my son and I watch it too.

Nope, it's still very normal, since you are a parent, who's trying to impart some nice life lessons to a child :D

As a bit of fair warning, I watched way too much TV as a kid from cartoons, Anime, Soaps at Night, Retro shows (Nick at Night used to do Happy Days and Brady Bunch along with others from your generation), Sci-Fi, Drama, and even a few Lifetime movies (Yes, but I will freely admit that I cannot be made into a weepy girl by that genre anymore despite how many things Nicholas Sparks has come out with due to my TV education). Unless you want your son to turn into me, get him to do more non-TV stuff too :D

As for current episodes of Girl Meets World, they are pushing some interesting issues that seem more geared towards teens and parents than preteen crowd that usually watches Disney. Autism, Environmentalism, Adult Love lives, and cyber Bullying (I am not complaining on that last point as I am writing myself into that genre) are all being discussed. It doesn't feel like a Disney thing to do, but it is perfect for ABC, who could revive its TGIF line up.

PS: Since many of my childhood (Technically some were adult and Young adult with PG 13/MA ratings) shows are coming back for this generation, I think they might try to re-introducing Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but instead redo it with a new character, maybe her and Harvey's daughter/son ( :o Yes I will spoil it, they ran off together in the last episode). Can you imagine that, plus Melissa Jone Hart needs a job.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, my son is 15, not a tween. However, I think he has a crush on Riley

Well, the actress is really 14, so that should be acceptable. :)

• Like 1