Things you should always buy used

Celethiel

I was driving by a house a couple of weeks ago that was having a sale. I normally don't frequent garage sales, so I surprised myself. They just got Dad settled into the nursing home and hadn't even announced or advertised this sale. I came away with a slightly used microwave for $20 that's selling at Walmart for $80, and a once-used toaster oven with convection heat for $40 that's going for $100 at Walmart. Used can be pretty good sometimes.

everytime i hear the words "sent mom/dad to the nursing home" i get sad...

Used clothes can be good to buy as long as it isn't underwear, in fact, my prom outfit is entirely made of used clothes(excluding the undergarments).

yeah, i wouldn't buy used underwear either.... and probably not used socks... (which they sell both at the second hand store here)

Used clothes can be good to buy as long as it isn't underwear, in fact, my prom outfit is entirely made of used clothes(excluding the undergarments).

So now you got me curious.  Your school allows same sex prom dates?

yeah, i wouldn't buy used underwear either.... and probably not used socks... (which they sell both at the second hand store here)

Believe or not, I think some people actually buy them....

Prom is such a foreign concept to me... I always watch those episodes of TV shows with fascination. We don't have anything like that here... Our school dances were usually just like any old party plus fancy dress, and tended to be organised by the students if they happened at all. Dates are also a foreign concept. People would mostly just go stag if they weren't seeing someone already, and then just dance with whomever they liked.

I remember we had a Halloween dance for my year at school when I was in middle school, and my school tried to arrange a yule ball one year. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1

I suppose buying used stuff is good.  I buy used books, it just makes sense.  The book is only good for what I learn from it, so why buy a new one and pay five times as much as you need to?  Other stuff, I don't know.  Clothes I could never see buying used.  Someone else wore them and who knows what happened.  I don't care who you are, you fart in your jeans, and I'm not interested in used farts.  It's kind of like used food.  Yuk!

Used cars are OK, as long as they're perfectly clean.  It's a bonus if it still has the new smell in it.  A lot of people can't afford a new car, so I think the used ones should be sterilized before they sell them.  Think about it, cars are subject to the same abuses as jeans are, so be very careful!  Nothing worse than having someone in your car when it decides to let the odor of the last owners date night slip through the upholstery.  Don't put your faith in those silly air fresheners, they're not going to save you!

I guess I don't buy much of anything really, but when I do I like new stuff.  Books are different, and I have bought used bikes before, which is OK.  They clean up pretty easily, and if your scared of what residue might be hiding in the seat it's easy to replace with a new one.  I'm kind of a bike geek anyway, and I've had lots of them, new and used.  It's a staple item when you grow up in the country.

• 4 weeks later...

Used instruments in general are a good thing. An instrument with a history will treat you better. 

That's true most of the time. I bought almost all my guitars used and always got a lot more value for money that way. We guitar players are known for suffering from GAS (Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and there's many who shop for guitars more often than they do for groceries. If you're patient you can get many great deals when other players/collectors thin out the herd to make room for new toys or to save their marriage when their wives find out how much money they've invested. These guitars usually haven't seen a rehearsal room let alone a stage since they left the store and qualify as "preowned" rather than "used".

My personal experience with "history": The Nocaster I'm playing in my avatar pic was previously owned by a very skilled jazz musician who used it as his main instrument for several years. I really think that's where some of its magic comes from as I've never played a new instrument that responds to subtle changes in picking dynamics like it. It's rare that a guitar sounds great no matter where you are on the fretboard. The fact that I got it for about half the street price makes the deal even better :D

On the other hand, I once bought another used guitar that was also perfectly broken in.... in one key. D minor. Took me a long time to even out.

Cheers,

Blackguard