Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Streak Music Recs

Chapter 29

-When Wade sends Hammer off on his way to the Peace Corps in Africa.

"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve

That will always be one of my favorite movie endings involving comeuppance.

Sarah Michelle Gellar in Cruel Intentions is basically how I picture Bitty.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Chapter 34

-When JJ pulls out a show-stopping performance that wins him  the title of U.S. Eastern Sectionals Champ.

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem

I pretty much always planned on using this one for JJ. Glad we got to a point where I could use it, and it was period-appropriate.

This was probably the "peak" of Eminem, so to speak. I knew so many Eminem wannabees back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Weird to think he's like 41 or 42 now.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Chapter 34

-When JJ pulls out a show-stopping performance that wins him  the title of U.S. Eastern Sectionals Champ.

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem

I pretty much always planned on using this one for JJ. Glad we got to a point where I could use it, and it was period-appropriate.

This was probably the "peak" of Eminem, so to speak. I knew so many Eminem wannabees back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Weird to think he's like 41 or 42 now.

Such an apt song from that time, and used in a perfect scenario.  Well done!

Such an apt song from that time, and used in a perfect scenario.  Well done!

Thanks. I remember 8 Mile hitting pretty hard and fast at the closing months of 2002...there were people calling for Eminem to get an Oscar nomination. I've never seen the movie, but it hasn't really aged well, from what I understand, but the song has held up well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 37

-When Darius reveals that he wants to fight in the coming war in Iraq.

"Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith

-When JJ decides to have a calm, measured reaction to the news of Alex and Mary-Ellen. Not.

"I Can't Live If Living Is Without You" by Harry Nilsson (NSFW)

I grew up with the Mariah Carey version of it, so when I heard it in the Rules of Attraction suicide scene, I was blown away by how much better this one waS.

I had no clue Mariah Carey didn't originate this tune until I heard the original one in late '02/early 2003 when I caught the Rules of Attraction on DVD.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 42

-When JJ throws yet another pity party for himself in the opening minutes of his 17th birthday.

"At 17" by Janis Ian

I had this song on a cd called "Billboard Top Hits of 1975" when I was 15, and I loved the tune.

-When JJ has Alex make love to him.

"Hero" by Enrique Iglesias

His videos were so fucking ridiculous in the best way. LOL.

-When Alex gives JJ an ancient amulet for his birthday.

"Queen of My Heart" by Westlife

Westlife was pretty good. Too bad they weren't big here in the U.S. Were you a big fan of them, West?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

Chapter 43

-At the championship game, when Zach does the Starwalk play, wins the game, and makes up with his father.

"No Such Thing" by John Mayer

I remember when John Mayer was considered the best new voice in music, until his dating life started to overshadow his work. Oh, well.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Chapter 46

-When Will gets a class ring from Zach, who announces that he'll be going to Menlo with Will for his last semester.

"True Blue" by Madonna

I decided to go with an oldie for this scene. (Well, its an oldie to us, probably not to them just yet.) In any event, this video was from the 1986 "Make My Video" contest, where Madonna and MTV had fans submit fanmade videos for her song. Considering how crude home video technology was at the time, I think they did a great job. Also, I get a kick out of the main guy's very 1986 hair in a 50's music video. Honestly, I love mid-1980's spiky hair styles, because they kinda remind me of late 1990's spiky hairstyles. LOL.

I learned about the "Make My Video" contest (1989 is the first year I can remember) from MTV's 20th Anniversary retrospective back in 2001. I thought it was such a cool idea. Years later, you'd get YouTube and tons of people making their own fanmade videos. At one time, MTV was actually AHEAD of the times, go figure.

-When Darius admits to Will that he's his rock.

"Thicker Then Blood" by Garth Brooks

-When Zach and Will exchange their "I loves" for Christmas.

"Cry" by Mandy Moore

I always thought it was shame that Mandy didn't have a bigger film career. She should have. I don't think she was that interested in pop stardom, though- this was pretty much the end of Pop Star Mandy and she seemed more interested in doing niche stuff.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 47

-When JJ does his final skate.

"Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera

-When JJ, Tiffany, and Alex watch what will be referred to as the "Disaster in Dallas" unfold as skater after skater chokes.

"We Will Rock You" from the musical We Will Rock You

-When JJ wins the 2003 U.S. Championships.

"We Are the Champions" by Queen

-When JJ learns that Tiffany is quitting on him at a press conference.

"Smile" by Judy Garland

JJ was born under some bad star. Seriously, the kid just can't catch a break and maintain happiness for any extended period of time. LOL.

• Like 1

Chapter 48

-When JJ and MaryEllen dance together at the wedding, and she flat out tells JJ that he and Alex are done in June.

"The Skater's Waltz"

-When Will and JP leave the San Francisco anti-war protest, and JP deflates Will's optimism.

"San Francisco" by Me First And the Gimme Gimmes (A Cover)

-When JJ sets up for a big quad, and then splats with a big injury.

"Get Free" by The Vines (reprise)

-When JJ learns that his injury will take six months to heal, which means he will not go to Worlds.

"Landslide" by the Dixie Chicks

I really do wonder what country music would have looked like if they hadn't been cast out because of that one anti-Bush comment. Blue grass is so popular right now, too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 49

-When JJ arrives in Palo Alto, utterly depressed about his career.

"Moon River" from Breakfast At Tiffany's

Alternate, to get REALLY depressing:

"Asleep" from The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Anybody else remember this tune from the Perks of Being A Wallflower? It's an obscure 80's tune.

-When JJ and Will have their talk about life.

"Orange Sky" by Alexei Murdoch

Thank you, the O.C. Soundtrack Mix 1. I'm excited now that we've hit the point in time where more songs that came from the O.C. soundtrack exist.

-When JJ arrives at the Boston house, with the knowledge that his career is basically over for the next year, and his relationship with Alex is going to come to an end. Basically, a completely depressed mess.

"Guess I'm Doing Fine" by Beck

-When JJ tries to get through the dinner by putting on his fun persona, and then makes love with Alex as a distraction.

"How To Fight Loneliness" by Wilco

I dug deep for these, Mark.I hope you enjoyed it.

I do think that doing music recs for JJ chapters usually allows me to use much more depressing music than I'd ever use for Will. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Chapter 50

-When Will shows off the American and French meals.

"American National Anthem"/"French National Anthem"

-When the gang watches the start of Operation Enduring Iraqi Freedom.

"God Bless America" by Celine Dion (Live at the 2003 Super Bowl)

-When the baby is born, and Will names him.

"Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service

You're probably going to see this get used several more times throughout the stories. I'm thrilled that it "exists" now in Cap-world. I consider it a generation anthem- it really set a tone for the kind of 80's New Wave-inspired music that was going to become so popular with indie rock in this decade. And it just sounded like something wouldn't have heard in the 90's, and it really felt fresh and new and different.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..