Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Streak Music Recs

Chapter 1

-When JJ expositions his crush on Alex.

"Crush" by Mandy Moore

Honestly, this type of stuff feels so much more appropriate for JJ than it ever did for Will, save for Will's first story. It's kind of nice to do music recs for someone who's 16 going on 17, as opposed to 14 going on 21.

Chapter 2

-When Brad feels a spark with Cam.

"At First Sight" by Kylie Minogue

I've loving that we've got the Kylie Minogue revival going on at this point. Aside from 8 Mile-era Eminem and Linkin Park, she was probably one of favorite bright spots in this year, which is admittedly not a favorite music year of mine.  I was SO sick of J.Lo by this point in time.

Sorry this took so long...but in all honestly, if you guys have read my blog, there's been WAY too much emotional turmoil I've been going through and trying to work through so eh.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Chapter 3

-When Brad and Cam start talking to each at the club.

"Hey Ma" by Cam'Ron

I remember being intensely anti-hip-hop by about 2002 because it was EVERYWHERE and you were forced to listen to it all the time, but I don't know, I can enjoy this 2002 hip-hop stuff now. I had buried my head into Blink 182 and Good Charlotte poppy punk sand, but this stuff isn't so bad to listen, either. It was featured in a pretty sweet scene from End of Watch.

• Like 1

Chapter 4

-When JJ narrates the opening of the 2002 Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany, and gets into bitchy competition mode.

"Murder on the Dancefloor" by Sophie Ellis-Bextor

This is more Europop than American pop, which at the time was waning in favor of hip-hop. In any event, it's a funny video, and it makes me wonder what JJ would be willing to do in order to win.

• Like 1

Chapter 5

-When JJ scopes out his competitors, and figures out that it's a do-or-die performance.

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor

Yay for the 80's revival going on now in CAP-time!

-When JJ does his performance.

"Fascination"

*Shrugs* I picked this song because it was the standard that Luke and Laura danced to at that department store in 1980. Seriously, soaps were so much more romantic back then.

-When JJ places second in the Nebelhorn Trophy, but is even happier knowing that Alex is there.

"Everywhere" by Michelle Branch

-When Brad's at the club with Cam.

"Flight 643" by DJ Tiesto

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 8

-When Zach realizes that Will showed up for his game, instead of celebrating his 16th birthday in Boston.

"If You Were Here" by the Thompson Twins

-During the game, and when Zach decides to let his ankle get fucked up than lose possession of the ball.

"'Til I Collapse" by Eminem

-When Will and Zach kiss at the hospital.

"The Tide Is High" by Atomic Kitten

Chapter 10

-When JJ and Alex visit the Revolutionary War sites.

The Patriot Soundtrack

God, that movie. The scene where the Evil British burn down a church full of women and children and kill Heath Ledger's wife? Ugh.

-When JJ reflects over his night with Alex, and how thrilled he was to just hold his hand.

"A Summer Place" Theme

God, JJ is going to be burned so, so bad from this.

• Like 2

JJ may be burned from his infatuation with Alex, but then again maybe he will be just bruised a bit and grow up some as a result.  

I did like the musical selections.  The theme from "A Summer Place" is really something only us really old guys can remember as being new.   The film was released in 1959 and the the song became a hit in 1960, the year I became a teenager!  

• Like 1

Chapter 12

-When JJ is kissed by Alex.

"Sixteen Going on Seventeen" from The Sound of Music

Tell me that isn't EXACTLY the dynamic that seems to be brewing between Alex and JJ right now. Alex wanting to play the suave, sophisticated worldly older guy teaching his innocent princess about love, while JJ plays the demure, innocent princess who may know more than they let on about worldly affairs.

-When JJ dances after being kissed by Alex.

"I Could Have Danced All Night" by the 101 Strings Orchestra

As soon as I read that scene, "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady popped into my head.

-When Will and Zach have their little...adventure.

"You May be Right" by Billy Joel

• Like 1

Chapter 13

-When Zach finally gets fed up with Wally.

"Perfect" by Simple Plan

Simple Plan. God, long live the emo period of the early/mid-'00's. I'm kinda fudging on this tune, because the album this song was on was indeed out, but the actual song wasn't released as a single until much later. Eh. Whatever. It fits, so it's in.

-When JJ goes to the Boston Symphony with Alex.

"Bolero"

-When JJ shares a passionate kiss with Alex. Well, passionate for them.

"Paint the Silence" by South

I'm excited to think that The O.C. is only a year away in CAP-land! So exciting. That show, at least during the first year it was on, really did cause an explosion of new trends in both fashion and music.

- When Zach plays being injured and causes all kind of shit.

"Fat Lip" by Sum 41

I have visions of Hot Topic-clad people in black outfits with red plaid accents, safety pins, and Manic Panic hairdye. Ugh.

• Like 1

Chapter 15

-When Zach gets finished with his speech, and everyone is in awe of what a hero Will Schluter is.

"Hero" by Chad Kroeger

It is still insane to me that they did a Spiderman reboot just 5 years after Spiderman 3. I loved Andrew Garfield in it, but I can see why it's not really setting the domestic U.S. box office on fire.

-When JJ and Alex talk about the family drama, and JJ assures Alex he's in this.

"Dilemma" by Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland

My god, this song was EVERYWHERE that year. Ugh.

-When JJ and Alex get hot. (Well, for JJ.)

"Touch-a, Touch-a Me" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

As soon as I read that chapter, I knew this was the tune. Come on, it's dead-on, no-brainer for that moment. That song is basically JJ's theme for this entire story.

I'm not a full-on Rocky Horror groupie, but my sister was really into it back in the early 90's, so I know the movie pretty well. I've know it since I was about 7 or so.

• Like 1

Chapter 16

-When Brad and JJ come to some sort of understanding.

"I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman" by Britney Spears

The song title still makes me laugh all these years later. After that though, it really does fit if you think about it. JJ's on his way to becoming a man, but he's still very much a boy in many ways, and these are his "in-between days." And Britney Spears was the ultimate in the whole "Look at me, I'm a good girl who just can't help acting bad sometimes!" act.

-When JJ and Alex continue their courtship.

"Wishin' & Hopin'" by Ani DiFranco

The throwbacks just feel really appropriate for them.

-When Brad gets called by NYC Hook-up, and has some fun.

"Hey, Baby" by No Doubt

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 16

-When Brad and JJ come to some sort of understanding.

"I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman" by Britney Spears

The song title still makes me laugh all these years later. After that though, it really does fit if you think about it. JJ's on his way to becoming a man, but he's still very much a boy in many ways, and these are his "in-between days." And Britney Spears was the ultimate in the whole "Look at me, I'm a good girl who just can't help acting bad sometimes!" act.

-When JJ and Alex continue their courtship.

"Wishin' & Hopin'" by Ani DiFranco

The throwbacks just feel really appropriate for them.

-When Brad gets called by NYC Hook-up, and has some fun.

"Hey, Baby" by No Doubt

Great recs as usual, but the Ani DiFranco song sucks in comparison to the original. 

Great recs as usual, but the Ani DiFranco song sucks in comparison to the original. 

See, I thought she did a great song in making it sound like it belonged in the 60's. I didn't even realize that was the cover- I thought it WAS Dusty Springfield.

That was such an awesome movie opening, in any event.

I think my biggest issue with the Ani DiFranco cover is that she is trying to sing coyly. All cut off syllables and small throat sounds, nearly to the point of sounding like she's hiccupping, and all of it delivered at a stage whisper. Which is the exact opposite of what the song is about. Compare the Dusty Springfield; THAT's a delivery that will fill a crowded auditorium, and she holds the words until they permit no argument or edgewise objection. Which does not due for every song, but for this one, yes.

• Like 2

Chapter 17

-When JJ and Alex have some nice early morning fun.

"Down 4 U" by Ja Rule ft. Ashanti

Ashanti was like everywhere in 2002.

-When Brad and Cam have their own fun.

"Oops, Oh My" by Tweet

There's absolutely no shortage of sexual R&B/hip-hop tunes from the early 2000's.

Chapter 19

-When Brad gets "arrested."

"Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest

-When the cops turn out to be strippers.

"Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard

I kind of wished Mark could've had a story set circa 1987-1989. It would have been fun to have done a lot of hair band tunes.

• Like 1

Chapter 20

-When Brad celebrates his 40th birthday at the gay bar.

"Rising" by Elle Patrice

The Queer As Folk soundtrack is really, really useful for these kind of scenes.

-When Brad and Cam go at it.

"Fell In Love With A Girl" by The White Stripes

-When JJ wins the New England Regionals

"A Moment Like This" by Kelly Clarkson

I wasn't wild on this song and found it bland compared to the stuff that Kelly would do later, but still, American Idol was a hugggeee part of 2002 pop culture, and I can't think of any other American Idol that has topped Kelly Clarkson. America really did chose right that year.

• Like 1

Chapter 21

-When Zach powers his way into the end-zone.

"Move Bitch" by Ludacris

-After Zach hangs up the phone when talking to his mother.

"Cleaning Out My Closet" by Eminem

The era of Eminem's dominance. Man. So many Eminem wannabees back then.

-As Alex and JJ leave the symphony.

""Alborada del Gracioso"  by Ravel

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 23

-When JJ goes through his rountine, with a sense of fear.

"I Hope I Get It" from A Chorus Line

-When JJ pictures Alex riding to his rescue like a trashy romance novel.

"The Last of the Mohicans" Theme

-When JJ has his little freak-out about Alex not calling.

"Aerials" by System of  A Down

• Like 1

Chapter 24

-When Alex and JJ make-up.

"Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones

I always thought that Norah Jones and John Mayer should've done an lullaby album together. Perfect voices to fall asleep to.

-When J.P. walks out of the dining room, after saying his peace about his feelings on the impending War in Iraq.

"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield

I will never forget watching the 2004 Republican National Convention protests. The CAP family really is headed into some crazy times.

Chapter 25

-When JJ and Alex finally go all the way.

"Unbreakable" by Westlife

Thank god boyband pop was still going strong in the U.K. in 2002. Cutesy love songs from boybands were dying out here in the U.S. during that year.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..