Turn-Based Games

4 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Oh, Civ VI, bane of my existence... I always come down with acute justonemoreturnitis. :gikkle:

I tried playing Total War Shogun 2, because I love the history aspect, but I got a little bored with, well, the war part. I like that there are different ways to win in Civ. Just conquest and battle after battle gets a bit same-y.

I like Civ VI a lot too. Though, Stellaris really scratches the 4x itch for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Wayne Gray said:

I like Civ VI a lot too. Though, Stellaris really scratches the 4x itch for me.

Stellaris is also amazing. I'm trying to stay away from turn-based strategy as much as possible due to how addictive I find it, so I haven't played it in a while. There's been an expansion since the last time I played, though, and I'd quite like to try it out...

• Like 3

I checked out both Wesnoth and Stellaris, for what it may be worth here are my brief thoughts.

Wesnoth looked the more interesting, but it is a conversion from a PC game for Android (I'm only reviewing the Android version, I don't have a PC). As such it is done on the cheap, you imitate mouse clicks on a touch screen and move a cursor about. I suppose you could live with that, but it really is last century. The biggest problem is it's big. You need a memory card to download it to or you risk filling your entire drive. Although I say that's a problem, only for tablets and phones, on a PC it would be fine and actually means there must be a huge game in there. Still, although I loaded it, I really can't play on a touch screen imitating a mouse.

I took it off to try Stellaris, the beta test version for Android. I've played this before, it's a clone of another game whose name I can't think of, but it's the same, even the graphics of attacking the pirate ships, circling around, exactly the same. However, the rest of the look and feel of the game is greatly improved. Nevertheless, it's another of those so called strategy games which are limited to building a space station and sending out a fleet of ships, waiting ever longer to build stuff so that you will end up paying real money. The winner is the guy willing to spend the most money or someone who can wait an eternity for something to happen. It's Forge of Empires or any other of hundreds of games that use the same format and quickly become excruciatingly boring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I checked out both Wesnoth and Stellaris, for what it may be worth here are my brief thoughts.

Wesnoth looked the more interesting, but it is a conversion from a PC game for Android (I'm only reviewing the Android version, I don't have a PC). As such it is done on the cheap, you imitate mouse clicks on a touch screen and move a cursor about. I suppose you could live with that, but it really is last century. The biggest problem is it's big. You need a memory card to download it to or you risk filling your entire drive. Although I say that's a problem, only for tablets and phones, on a PC it would be fine and actually means there must be a huge game in there. Still, although I loaded it, I really can't play on a touch screen imitating a mouse.

I took it off to try Stellaris, the beta test version for Android. I've played this before, it's a clone of another game whose name I can't think of, but it's the same, even the graphics of attacking the pirate ships, circling around, exactly the same. However, the rest of the look and feel of the game is greatly improved. Nevertheless, it's another of those so called strategy games which are limited to building a space station and sending out a fleet of ships, waiting ever longer to build stuff so that you will end up paying real money. The winner is the guy willing to spend the most money or someone who can wait an eternity for something to happen. It's Forge of Empires or any other of hundreds of games that use the same format and quickly become excruciatingly boring.

I have no idea what Stellaris is like on mobile platforms, but it sounds nothing at all like the PC version aka real thing... lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...