2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Musicals Based On A Specific Music Group

Former Member

After watching numerous ads for the revival of Mamma Mia! in the SF Bay Area, I started thinking about other groups whose music could theoretically become musicals. I know about the Beatles, Carole King, and Green Day – and I suppose there are others I've either forgotten or never knew about.

A few groups that came to mind are Elton John, Chicago, and America. I'd think that a few things are usually necessary for a musical to be possible: a large catalog of tunes, a wide variety of themes, and widespread popularity or at least awareness.

And I also think it might be time for an LGBT-themed, single-music-group musical.

What do you think?

Don't forget about "Jersey Boys," which is about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  You might even include The Who in this with their rock opera "Tommy."

Don't forget about "Jersey Boys," which is about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

They stopped running ads for the Bay Area presentation – presumably it's completed its run. No more reminders!

And I also think it might be time for an LGBT-themed, single-music-group musical.

What do you think?

There was. It was called The Boy From Oz, starring Hugh Jackman as gay songwriter Peter Allen. There was also a musical on Boy George called Taboo, although it wasn't a jukebox musical.

I think the Bay City Rollers would actually make a pretty good musical. You've got the crazy, tacky costumes, the exuberant pop music, and the big downfall that befalls the group. You also have a gay manager who may or may not be evil, a lead singer who may or may not be interested in men, a member who may or may not be interested in looking at little kids, a member who becomes addicted to amphetamines, a member who can't stand playing a teen idol when he's pushing 30, and a forty year battle to reclaim royalties that the band says are due to them. And of course, you get the reunion when they're in their 50's/60's. (Well, semi-reunion.)

It would also have inherent late Baby Boomer/early Gen Xer nostalgia appeal to it.

Edited by methodwriter85

A few years ago, my sister-in-law thought it would be fun to take us to an off Broadway show called Jersey Boys.

I thought OH COOL! The Ramones!

It was really about the Four Seasons.

It was a little slice of hell and it went on forever. 

A few years ago, my sister-in-law thought it would be fun to take us to an off Broadway show called Jersey Boys.

I thought OH COOL! The Ramones!

It was really about the Four Seasons.

It was a little slice of hell and it went on forever. 

Aww, how can you not like the Four Seasons? They're a wonderful oldies group. "Big Girls Don't Cry" in Dirty Dancing and "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" from Ten Things I Hate About You were just wonderful music choices.

But yeah, Jersey Boys sucked. At least the movie version did. I can't speak to the musical version. I did think Erich Bergen was cute, though.

Here's an interesting fact though- "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers inspired the Ramones to make "Blitzkrieg Bop."

Did Blitzkrieg Bop inspire MMMBop?  ;-)

Pretty sure they had nothing to do with each other.

The Ramones would have scared those kids to death.

I'd forgotten about The Boy From Oz and Taboo. Too bad they haven't gotten Hugh Jackman to reprise his role in a movie! And if I remember correctly, Taboo didn't do as well as the others.

If only some of those homophobic teenagers were exposed to a few of the Gay roles that some of their heroes have played. The homophobic Russell Crowe in the Sum of Us, for example. I know things are better than they were when I was growing up back in the prehistoric '70s, but continuing instances of cyberbullying, numerous murders of Transpeople, and the ongoing Transphobic restroom 'controversy' prove that there are still pockets of intolerance out there.

Pretty sure they had nothing to do with each other.

The Ramones would have scared those kids to death.

MMMPoop!