Everything Olympics

Team LGBT is up to 23 24* Medals!

Congratulations to our largest and most successful contingent yet!

*For some reason, Outsports doesn't list Melissa Tancredi as an Out member of the Canadian Women's Football team.

Edited by Former Member

Team LGBT's Gold Medal Award winners:

• Nicola Adams, GB, 51kg Women's Boxing
  • Kate & Helen Richardson-Walsh and Susannah Townsend, GB, Women's Field Hockey
  • Rafaela Silva, BR, 57kg Women's Judo
  • Seimone Augustus, Elena Delle Donne, Brittney Griner, and Angel McCoughtry, US, Women's Basketball
  • Caster Semenya, ZA, 800m Track & Field

Team LGBT's Silver Medal Award winners:

• Lisa Dahlqvist, Nilla Fisher, Hedvig Lindahl, and Carolina Seger, SE, Women's Football/Soccer
  • Carlien Dirkse van den Heuvel and Maartje Paumen, NL, Women's Field Hockey
  • Sunette Viljoen, ZA, Women's Javelin
  • Rachele Bruni, IT, 10km Women's Swimming
  • Carl Hester and Spencer Wilton, GB, Team Dressage

Team LGBT's Bronze Medal Award winners:

• Stephanie Labbé, Melissa Tancredi* and Marie-Eve Nault, CA, Women's Football/Soccer
  • Tom Daley, GB, Men's Synchronized 10m Platform Diving
  • Jen Kish, CA, Women's Rugby 7

Counting the medals the same way they do to rank National Olympic Committees, Team LGBT won 5 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals, and 3 Bronze Medals for a total of 13 Medals. This would place Team LGBT at #17, between Jamaica (6/3/2) and Croatia (5/3/2). This put us ahead of New Zealand (4/9/5), Canada (4/3/15), Denmark (2/6/7), Sweden 2/6/3), among many others (ranked by Gold, then Silver, and finally Bronze).

21 Medals were won by women, and 3 Medals were won by men. Maybe Team LGBT's 'National' Anthem should be Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun!

*For some reason, Outsports doesn't list Melissa Tancredi as an Out member of the Canadian Women's Football team.

Edited by Former Member

Very amusing Closing Ceremony!

I'm shocked that the extremely tight-laced Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe agreed to participate in the way that he did! Very few US politicians at the Federal or State level would be likely to emulate his role (as Nintendo's Mario)!

Only Japan would include cartoon and anime characters in a presentation like that…

I created a poster to put up at the place where I get my therapy which features the names of all 56 LGBT Olympians and pictures of the Medal winners. I'd upload it to GA, but it probably violates the rules by being too political or something…