[Vlista] Cameron Chapter 5

I don't like Kyle's dad, either ... and I'm surprised Cameron has taken to him so easily ... but then again, I suppose he really doesn't have much of a choice.

One thing I like about this story, that is really different from both "Shane" and "Tyler," is that both Cameron and Cole come from pretty bad homes ... Cameron because his parents don't care about him, and Cole because for all intents and purposes, his mother is pretty much gone. So it's not like Cameron could go running to Cole's house for safety, and vice versa. So far, there's no "safe place," so to speak.

I really enjoyed the interaction between Cole and Cameron in this chapter.

As for Kyle's dad, I don't like him as he is now either, but I'm kind of hopeful that it won't just be Cameron who get's his life back together in this story but that Kyle's dad might grow as a person and learn something about tolerance and understanding in the experience too. Especially if he were to have to deal with fact that Cameron is gay at some point. I don't know, maybe that's me being too optimistic about his ability to change. He's definitely got a long way to go...but then he's already suprised Cameron a few times so far, so I think the potential is there.

Another great chapter and I agree with LittleBuddha... this is very different from both Shane and Tyler.

I would have a problem with Kyle's Dad, especially with the stereo typical 50's worldview he seems to have and description of the church he goes to, but it was good to see Cameron stand up for Cole seeing how much he has to lose if he falls out of favour with the family. I half expected Cameron to try and bargain about going to church or at least suggesting that he'd go to church but not that one even if it would raise all sorts of questions.

I liked how Cameron's rationale for staying with the family was explained as more than a simple desire to avoid a group home placement... Kyle's family may not be the best family for him but they at least feed him and acknowledge his existance, it makes one realize how awful his bio family situation was.

Steve

Kyle's father is an enigma to me at this point... He does seem overly strict, but not too bad, yet. The homophobia will be a major issue, though...

As for Kyle minding Cameron being gay... Hmmmm... Just a hunch on my part, but I suspect he might not mind at all... Might be very happy about it, actually....

I really loved this chapter! I can't wait to see what and how things develop between Cameron and Cole.

As for Kyle minding Cameron being gay... Hmmmm... Just a hunch on my part, but I suspect he might not mind at all... Might be very happy about it, actually....

Well I agree with you in that I don't think Kyle will mind either. As for being "happy about it" I'm assuming there was a degree of innuendo in that statement and I'd have to disagree. I don't think Kyle's gay. There's already been mention of his girlfriend, and he seems to like going to church (so clearly he isn't directly bothered by the anti-gay message).

Anyway I'm curious about how Cole is supporting himself and his mother. I'm guessing insurance money from everyone's death and accident, plus maybe inheritance from Gram. I'd still like to hear more about it though.

Anyway awesome story and teriffic chapter! I can't wait for the next one! :D (I LOVE that we know to expect them every Friday!)

Take care and have a great day all,

Kevin

Sorry, forgot about this.

One thing I like about this story, that is really different from both "Shane" and "Tyler," is that both Cameron and Cole come from pretty bad homes ... Cameron because his parents don't care about him, and Cole because for all intents and purposes, his mother is pretty much gone. So it's not like Cameron could go running to Cole's house for safety, and vice versa. So far, there's no "safe place," so to speak.

I disagree. You're right that neither have good "family" environments, but if it's just freedom Cameron is looking for perhaps he could find it with Cole, and perhaps they could be there for each other emotionally. Start there on family so to speak. Of course the problem is that Mr. Harris isn't going to just let Cameron stay there, and if he hands them over to social services neither will they. Had they met a month or so earlier they may indeed have been the answer to each other's problems in that lovely "happily ever after" way. Of course I'm hoping that still works out :)

Actually I'm a little surprised social services will let Cole stay there by himself with his mother. Anyway they're both 17 and thus have less than a year left until they're legally independant anyway, so perhaps that'll take care of some of the complications.

I disagree. You're right that neither have good "family" environments, but if it's just freedom Cameron is looking for perhaps he could find it with Cole, and perhaps they could be there for each other emotionally. Start there on family so to speak. Of course the problem is that Mr. Harris isn't going to just let Cameron stay there, and if he hands them over to social services neither will they.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, Kevin. In "Shane," the principal's home was the "safe place" for Shane to go if he needed to, and in "Tyler," Conner's house was Tyler's "safe place." Both of these places had responsibile, caring adults that could not only provide a physical place to go, but also a sense of security and the help/assistance that only such an adult can provide. Cameron would not get that going to Cole's house, because although Cole may be able to give him friendship, love, or affection, there is no adult there who is capable of "rescuing" him if need be. Obviously, Kyle's house has adults, but Cameron can't be himself there yet (whereas Tyler and Shane could at their respective "safe places").

It's not just a physical place to go to, but an emotional sense of security as well, knowing there is somewhere to go if things were to get too bad, and that they would be accepted there by people who had the ability to help them (although it took both Tyler and Shane a while to figure that out).