Irma's Bearing Down on Florida

https://www.aol.com/article/weather/2017/09/07/hurricane-irma-kills-eight-on-caribbean-island-of-saint-martin/23196563/

I wonder how devastating this hurricane is going to be to Florida, seeing it has caused major damage in the Caribbean so far.  I hope everyone stays safe, but this could be devastating to the Florida economy, like Harvey was to Texas.  My best wishes go out to all of the GA members currently living in Florida.  

• Like 4

Especially when these disasters make themselves known for a very long time. New Orleans has not fully recovered from a decade ago. They're still picking up the pieces in my home state of New Jersey.

They have already declared Texas the costliest disaster. It breaks my heart, thinking they might have round two. The stress and fear on all these poor people.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Especially when these disasters make themselves known for a very long time. New Orleans has not fully recovered from a decade ago. They're still picking up the pieces in my home state of New Jersey.

They have already declared Texas the costliest disaster. It breaks my heart, thinking they might have round two. The stress and fear on all these poor people.

Five years since Sandy and there are still condemned homes waiting to be torn down in my neighborhood.  Hubby now understands why I turned down nicer homes in lower areas of town when we bought our home.

Friends in Florida, don't wait till evacs are manditory! Go early!  Being stuck with no gas on a highway in traffic so dense you could walk faster is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 5

Hurricanes are now less frequent than they used to be, but much more violent. Formed by the interaction of warm meets cold area, global warming and rising sea temperatures makes the hurricane stronger. Irma a category 5, damaged 95% of Saint Martin and Saint Bartholomemy (French Islands), 50% of homes are uninhabitable. There is no electricity, no water, and it is logistically difficult to get the help in. The airport is out of action, but being repaired, government buildings including the hospital are damaged and there are people looting. The French government is sending civil defence, police, and army.

Hurricane force winds some ten or more years ago were in the region of 160kph, they have steadily increased and in 2017 have exceeded 300kph. Unfortunately, bigger and worse hurricanes are becoming a feature of rising temperatures. 

• Like 2

Yeah, they are telling us to expect a Combo-punch from Irma and Jose. For Irma, as of today at 12:41 EST, the West Coast is prepping, but not expecting anything more than Tropical Storm level stuff. Us Tampa peeps are hoping the Tampa Bubble holds, and both of them pass us by. Last time the Tampa Bubble was tested, was Charlie, and we ended up without power for 2 weeks, with just Cat1 winds.

Jose is still too far out to tell. They say to prep for it hitting us as well, while expecting the High to come, and knock it away from FL, like what is happening to Irma to some extent.

• Like 1