• Site Administrator

@jamessavik

This problem with Hollyweird has been vexing me for a while.  It is also starting to spread rabidly into gaming as well.  And like the video creator, I will also blame the SJW snowflakes.  They apparently were never told "no" in their life.  or "Grow the *insert common New York word starting with F here* Up!"

Almost all TV shows lately and movies and games and books are taking pot shots at 45-55% of their audience or more!  Just how long do you think you can survive as a business by calling your customers idiots?  

I used to go out to the movies 15-20 times per year.  More often than not, I would also buy those movies when they came out on dvd/blu-ray/4k whatever.  I have been to 2 movies in the last 2 years?  I've had a huge drop in in movie purchases as well.  And sadly, even when I bother to pick up the movies, even ones I know I'll enjoy, they are sitting in a pile unwatched.  I still haven't watched Star Wars: the Last Jedi and I'm a huge star wars fan.  I even liked the prequels (enough, not huge amounts).  I haven't watched Thor 3 or Black Panther though I own them both. 

I'm sadly burned out on the BS.  I've even dropped or at least significantly delayed plans to upgrade to a 4k projector.  I'm diverting my time and energy away from things the SWJ's are ruining.  

These people need to learn to leave people alone.  Your job is to entertain me.  Not insult my intelligence because I'm smarter than to fall for your BS.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Myr said:

These people need to learn to leave people alone.  Your job is to entertain me.  Not insult my intelligence because I'm smarter than to fall for your BS.

AMEN!!! I blame a lot on the Identity Politics and those that embrace it for much of the evils in the good old U.S.A. SJWs are ruining everything, including PRIDE events.

I just read over the past couple of days, that there is a Project that already has $200M funding to "Re-Do Star Wars: The Last Jedi" to get rid of all the SJW shite out of it.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

"Re-Do Star Wars: The Last Jedi" to get rid of all the SJW shite out of it.

You know, this might be a Hollyweird equivalent to the Show Don't Tell problem writer's face.  If you want a strong, kick-ass female protagonist, then make one!  Don't tell us she's kick ass... show us.  Wonder Woman and Black Widow did this well.  Great characters. Kick ass.  Star Wars made a Mary Sue and told us she was a Mary Sue because Mary Sue wanted her own movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hollywood has NEVER been good at sci-fi. For every good sci-fi movie or TV series, there are a hundred stinkers. There is only one sci-fi television series that I know of that ran its entire story arc and was finished. Most were just canceled, damn all the hanging plots or fans.

Hollywood thinks they are making sci-fi for kids but that's not the case. There is a huge market for sci-fi of ALL ages and if they'll make it without the low budgets, bad scripts, nobody actors and political shite- it can make huge bank. 

When you play mickey-mouse games with it, you turn what was a multi-billion$ franchise into WORTHLE$$. 

I was afraid of this when Disney purchased it. 

Freedom fighters vs a huge dark tyrannical repressive empire is not the sort of plot Disney has been successful with. 

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

I don't want to get too political,  but I completely agree that one of the main factors that led to the current state of Star Wars is the identity politics and other related issues.  Even though I'm not a Star Wars fan, I completely sympathize with the fans' frustrations with what happened to Star Wars recently.  A similar issue happened with Mass Effect: Andromeda, and many people know what happened to that franchise, which still makes me very upset since that video game series was one of my favorites.  I still hesitate to sit down and play the older game since I know that any sequels or continuations of the story are most likely never going to happen, and I think some Star Wars fans feel the same when watching the old movies.  Hopefully, Lucasfilm will finally decided to listen to their fans instead of attacking them; however, I feel more battles will have to happen before things actually change. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Agreed, I hated Last Jedi with a passion and Solo was crap.

I am not being Misogynist, racist, or bigoted for not liking crap movies with bad plots, no originality,  crazy sequences that don't make any sense, and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, I am not going to dismiss all the new Star Wars things, I am not that kind of fan either. Star Wars Rebels was well imagined, complex, and dealt with characters I care about and want to know what happen to after the show. Like Star Wars Clone Wars before it, pure CGI animated Star Wars does a much better job at exploring complex issues, and yes, even identity issues, without being pandering.

I know this is a Star Wars thread, but if @jamessavik and @Myr would allow, I'd also like to add some thoughts on similarly badly conceived Star Trek Discovery, I'll use Avery Brooks, who was lead Character of Star Trek DS9, and oh wait he was also African American:

Star Trek did not focus on its concept of racial integration, diverse sexuality (Loved Dax by the way by the way), disability (Lavar Burton was awesome), nor gender issues with leadership. Flaws make characters engaging, making a perfect stereotype is not creative, nor is it something that promotes any of the ideals you wish to engage in. Classic Science Fiction held meaning, because it was willing to push the realm of possibilities, not just create a caricture of modern stereotypes.

For me, Star Trek Discovery is probably the worst incarnation of Star Trek due to this and like @Myr said, I came in to be entertained by a TV show, which I had to pay for now via streaming, so why are you not entertaining me. I want gay characters and while Star Trek Discovery presents a decent one with Paul Stamets played by a reliable Broadway "real life" gay actor Anthony Rapp, a TV show must have more than that (unless it's an all male all gay cast :D ).

Storyline matters, characters matter, and everything Matters if you want a show that can capture all audiences

• Like 2

We're GLBT PEOPLE! We're the ORIGINAL Social Justice Warriors. We've been at it since before it was cool.

When we tell you that you're going overboard, it's sorta like your priest and your bartender telling you that you might want to slow down on your drinking.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jamessavik said:

We're GLBT PEOPLE! We're the ORIGINAL Social Justice Warriors. We've been at it since before it was cool.

When we tell you that you're going overboard, it's sorta like your priest and your bartender telling you that you might want to slow down on your drinking.

The sad truth is we're kind of stuck in between the two fires:

The SJW's are like Vorlons, the stuff they want and their ideals aren't wrong in on themselves, but the way they go about it is destructive for everyone else. It actually makes the counter argument, I guess "real" bigots are the Shadows (Xenophobia and conflict does seem to align with them for some reason) much stronger and legitimize their positions as something people can agree with due to the extreme push.

What we need right now is someone willing to go out and attack both sides and maybe make a statement like, "Get the hell out of our popular media!" :P

Good Sci-Fi is based on layers of stories with characters, not caricatures, fear mongering, or exploitation of popular ideas. Social commentary is a good thing to have, but do it with with righteous sensibility, not righteous affirmation.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

It’s ironic (said with Palpatine’s voice).

The very thing Star Wars put to rest in the 70s has now come back around and killed it.

Indeed, the Sith have had their revenge.

In 1977, Star Wars reintroduced to the movies a story and a movie-making style that was completely ‘just for fun’. Lucas deliberately pulled Star Wars completely out of a modern 1970s social context and put it into ‘a Galaxy Far, Far away’. Hollywood, at the time, had become an instrument of political propoganda and every movie produced by the main studios had to have a ‘Message’. All the critics expected it. The Academy expected it. Political hacks expected it as well as social justice lobbiests. All movies were contrived to ‘Send The Message’ for social and political change. It got so bad that we ended up with the ‘Blacksploitation’ stories like Shaft or, worse, Blackula. We had social commentary movies like anything Woody Allen made that were mostly boring to a young audience.

True entertainment was replaced by TV where you had comedies and crime-dramas that sometimes talked to social-justice issues, but mostly just entertained. Hollyweird was losing money, but its own hubris wouldn’t allow it to see past that. Despite the successes of pure entertainment films like Jaws, The Godfather, and The Exorcist, Hollywood couldn’t get over itself long enough to give much credence to anything that wasn’t a ‘message’ picture. 

It was so bad that Lucas had to fight tooth and nail to get production on his ‘little stupid Flash Gordon thingie’ until he managed to crank someone at Fox to give it a shot since that studio was failing worse than all the others at the time. They’d grab at ANYTHING to save themselves. So, on a shoestring budget for a movie of this kind, Lucas created the greatest Sci-Fi Fantasy film ever made and reintroduced the world to the fact that movies, first and foremost, were about ENTERTAINMENT! Millions and then Billions were made and all of Hollyweird took notice. For decades after ‘Blockbusters’ were to be the new ‘Thing’.

Now, fat and happy after Lucas did his thing, Hollywood has gone back to it’s old hubris. Entertainment has gone by the wayside to promote its ‘political’ savvy (which is has very little of, really). Now streaming media threatens the movies so most of the good entertainment can be found on things like Netflicks. Hollywood’s movies loose money. People don’t want ‘Messages’. They want fun. 

Star Wars’ failure is the symptom of this only this time, hopefully, Hollywood will wake up sooner to its stupidity when it finds that the most lucrative franchise in history has begun to fail because they can’t get over themselves long enough to make a decent picture without ‘Messages’ no one wants to hear in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, MrM said:

People don’t want ‘Messages’. They want fun. 

Give me a Hoo-Ah Brother!

• Love 1