Sign in to follow this  
oat327

"Against the World" by oat327

Duncan giggles. “Could you imagine? ‘Maman, this is my teenage paramour, Kevin, don’t tell Sébastién.’”

I grin. “I’m twenty-one, thank you.

And that right there is why it's never going to work. Duncan sees Kevin as a kid. I did think that was a pretty funny line, because when you're 21, you really feel like you'e miles away from being 18 or 19, but when you're 30, people from about 17-23 kind of just blend to together as kids to you.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 1:52 AM, methodwriter85 said:

And that right there is why it's never going to work. Duncan sees Kevin as a kid. I did think that was a pretty funny line, because when you're 21, you really feel like you'e miles away from being 18 or 19, but when you're 30, people from about 17-23 kind of just blend to together as kids to you.

Haha, absolutely. It's funny because I was 24 when I started writing the very earliest drafts of what became "Becker" six years ago, so my relationship to these characters has changed a lot: from being of a similar age to being quite a bit older.

Duncan gets that--like you said, he totally sees Kevin as a kid (and, conversely, Kevin sees Duncan as a mature adult who's settled and has his life mostly together.) I think they both realize it's never going to work, because of distance but also because of age and maturity... but that doesn't mean there's not a big chance that one or both of them could wind up hurt from the deal.