• Site Administrator

As I mentioned over in the Fantasy Writer's club, I'm planning on being more active with topics once the summer is behind us.  I'd like to get some regular discussions going as well as maybe do some Sci-Fi specific things on the site.  What do you say?

• Like 3

I subscribe to both clubs, and SciFi is my bread and butter. I love it. (Though I'm having fun with a modern drama right now. I told my editing team, I'm needing to add something fantasy or SciFi to it, or I'll loose my SciFi creds. LOL )

I got two stories in the works that are SciFi based. From my July CSR interview:

Freedom Station is a new SciFi story that I’m working on. It tells the story of Twin Brothers who were separated and adopted by different families at birth. Their biological mother was part of a government gene-therapy program, and her pregnancy wasn’t discovered when they started. So the twins are more than they seem. They are a successful splicing of Human and Alien DNA. While the story is character focused on the Twin’s reuniting and developing a relationship, in the background Earth is in danger from an alien armada which will reach the Sol System in 36 months. Earth and her alien allies are trying to mount a defense, and Freedom Station a space station in lunar orbit, will be the shield.

The last project is called Timeless, and it’s about Garrett. He’s a former US Army Ranger who was a career military officer until a roadside IED caused him to lose both legs at the knee. He’s an avid gamer and went to college to be a computer programmer. Garrett wakes up inside the game Timeless a VRMMORPG. He doesn’t know how he got there, and the story is about him escaping. Think TRON or TRON Legacy, but inside an MMO game, with other players playing normally. This is my first attempt at a LitRPG story, where it’s a story within a story, and when writing the game-world portions, there will be a discussion on game mechanics, the damage being dealt, etc. It’s a fairly new genre of stories that a major motion picture was made of one of the books called Ready Player One.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 2
On 8/15/2018 at 8:42 PM, Myr said:

As I mentioned over in the Fantasy Writer's club, I'm planning on being more active with topics once the summer is behind us.  I'd like to get some regular discussions going as well as maybe do some Sci-Fi specific things on the site.  What do you say?

That's cool, can we do a horror Sci-Fi theme at one point this fall? I am getting into the mood to write again

Dead Space opened up the door for that genre to be more than just the pretentious "Event Horizon" concept.

Aliens, extra-dimensional tentacle Gods (Lovecraft), energy being possessions (they're just mean space ghosts), and who knows may be an existential crisis like the butterfly effect make good Sci-Fi plots and good horror stories.

• Like 2