The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Took me a while - like a couple of hours - doing the same as you, but I finally got warm. Hope you will, too. Course, I was lucky, because my brother dropped me off at my front door on the way to visit his MiL. His flight got cancelled, so he’s now stuck at an airport hotel waiting for a new booking to get home. 

nothing will fly outta there it's unholy out there.. wind so bad at work.. i had to hang on to a pole before i could move .. nuts out there

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• Site Moderator
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

people out there before me waiting ... no buses and when they arrived they are so full they can't take more.. people screaming at the driver.. and i mean these buses were packed... i walked back and prayed i could get an uber ... Michael was stuck waaay north

I’ve only had the option to take a bus when the subways stopped and shuttle buses ran, but I hoofed it when that happened, because the buses were sardine cans. I stay clear of that because of an experience years ago when I took GoTrained it to work. The train was packed and I was stuck by the door. Being an express the doors stayed shut a long time. My knapsack had frost (it was winter) on it from leaning against the door and I got really nauseous - thankfully we got to Union and the doors opened before I got sick - never got on a packed train after that.

• Wow 2

16 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i am clean .. and warmer

Glad it helped! Thought it might. :) 

10 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Took me a while - like a couple of hours - doing the same as you, but I finally got warm. Hope you will, too. Course, I was lucky, because my brother dropped me off at my front door on the way to visit his MiL. His flight got cancelled, so he’s now stuck at an airport hotel waiting for a new booking to get home. 

Sucks that your brother's flight got cancelled. I was stuck in London for three days in 2011, going home from uni for Christmas, because there was this big snowy weather and they closed down Heathrow. Gatwick closed too, and all the Eurostar trains were full up so I couldn't get a flight from, like, Paris or anything either. At least British Airways gave me a hotel voucher, so I got a couple of days to do some Christmas shopping instead. My boyfriend at the time spent hours in online chats with various airlines and finally got me a flight home with Scandinavian Airlines instead. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3

• Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

nothing will fly outta there it's unholy out there.. wind so bad at work.. i had to hang on to a pole before i could move .. nuts out there

It took my brother and I over an hour to get from Kennedy and Eg - via the 401 - to my place at Yonge and Sheppard. So glad big brother was driving, because the 401 was a mess, too. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 5:35 PM, MacGreg said:

Good afternoon, subs and DiCsters. 

@BHopper2 That financial calculator I told you about is actuallly an HP. It was recommended by my prof, and it did the job well for what I needed it for. It's fairly cheap, too.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-10bII-Financial-Calculator-NW239AA-x/dp/B0002ABA8E

Thanks, Mac!

• Like 4

I'm heading out as well for the night. Week three starts later today.

This song has been on my mind for a couple of days... No, it doesn't mean anything, just been on my mind. (In the show the guy singing is God,)

• Like 5

charisma Audio pronunciation

noun | kuh-RIZ-muh  

Definition

:
a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (such as a political leader)

:
a special magnetic charm or appeal

The Greek word charisma means "favor" or "gift." It is derived from the verb charizesthai ("to favor"), which in turn comes from the noun charis, meaning "grace." In English, charisma has been used in Christian contexts since the mid-1500s to refer to a gift or power bestowed upon an individual by the Holy Spirit for the good of the Church, a sense that is now very rare. The earliest nonreligious use of charisma that we know of occurred in a German text, a 1922 publication by sociologist Max Weber. The sense began appearing in English contexts shortly after Weber's work was published.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Well... my cough is back this morning... i feel like i've been through the wringer.. my knee is very unhappy, as are my lungs and back.  i will never put myself in this position again. i knew yesterday i should have left at 1pm.. just worked a half day ... but no, don't listen to yourself.. .idiot.

We got about 25cm yesterday which is about 10 inches.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 4

Good morning, everyone.

29 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Well... my cough is back this morning... i feel like i've been through the wringer.. my knee is very unhappy, as are my lungs and back.  i will never put myself in this position again. i knew yesterday i should have left at 1pm.. just worked a half day ... but no, don't listen to yourself.. .idiot.

We got about 25cm yesterday which is about 10 inches.

I’m sorry you got worse again, tim. :hug: Going to D&D last night didn’t do me much good either. My bus home leaves every half hour and I missed one, and the next was a bit late, so I ended up standing outside for nearly half an hour at 11 at night yesterday. Not as bad as you, but still not great. At least it had stopped snowing. Don’t know exactly how much we got, but it’s deep out there.

Today is -13C and sunny.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Wow 3

Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

Good morning, everyone.

I’m sorry you got worse again, tim. Going to D&D last night didn’t do me much good either. My bus home leaves ever half hour and I missed one, and the next was a bit late, so I ended up standing outside for nearly half an hour at 11 at night yesterday. Not as bad as you, but still not great. At least it had stopped snowing. Don’t know exactly how much we got, but it’s deep out there.

Today is -13C and sunny.

i was lucky i wasn't far from work. there were people out there last night with no way to get home and no where to go to get out of the cold.  i've never been in anything like that, even when i lived on the street. never seen it so bad you cannot see anything but white.. not the traffic lights down the road or anything.  there have been no plows around here at all .. not for the building or the streets.  We will see if i can get out of here tomorrow. not happening today.  the problem in cities .. is where to put it. The plows push all this crap up along the roadside.. like 3 feet high.. how are people supposed to get over that shit at the crossings and stuff?  It's dangerous but well... in this city ... it's only cars that seem to be the concern, clearing sidewalks seems to be an afterthought.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

28 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i was lucky i wasn't far from work. there were people out there last night with no way to get home and no where to go to get out of the cold.  i've never been in anything like that, even when i lived on the street. never seen it so bad you cannot see anything but white.. not the traffic lights down the road or anything.  there have been no plows around here at all .. not for the building or the streets.  We will see if i can get out of here tomorrow. not happening today.  the problem in cities .. is where to put it. The plows push all this crap up along the roadside.. like 3 feet high.. how are people supposed to get over that shit at the crossings and stuff?  It's dangerous but well... in this city ... it's only cars that seem to be the concern, clearing sidewalks seems to be an afterthought.

The angry react is for the lack of proper ploughing. Here they plough the street like twice a day when it snows like it has been, and then they often plough the pavement as well if it's needed so people can get around on foot. Oslo is very focused on pedestrians and public transport; there are whole areas in the city centre where cars aren't even allowed, except for deliveries to shops and for people with disabilities. So that definitely helps.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Good morning, everyone.

I’m sorry you got worse again, tim. :hug: Going to D&D last night didn’t do me much good either. My bus home leaves every half hour and I missed one, and the next was a bit late, so I ended up standing outside for nearly half an hour at 11 at night yesterday. Not as bad as you, but still not great. At least it had stopped snowing. Don’t know exactly how much we got, but it’s deep out there.

Today is -13C and sunny.

Well, I'm not going to complain about 38 degrees F and a howling east wind, mild conditions compared to you folks.  And you're right about the urban issues, tim.  We can get a couple feet out here without the problems you have.  Yeah, they plow the snow up onto the sidewalk, but the town is small and the traffic is light enough that one can walk in the street without danger.  Hope you can stay inside today.  I have to go out once, but only two blocks, and the rest of the time I'll be hiding out until the wind dies down, presumably tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..