The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

7 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Is this a VPN? 

:huh:

6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

yes it is .. i thought he'd mentioned building a manager but maybe its not done ...or they changed their mind.

have we stopped speaking English? lol!
what is a VPN?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Someone kept logging onto my PayPal account.  They never stole anything, but I kept getting these notices that someone was logging in from an unknown system at three a.m.

It stopped when I got dual authentication, but only then.  Pretty sure my work computer has a keylogger or something ...

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Wow 4
1 minute ago, mollyhousemouse said:

:huh:

have we stopped speaking English? lol!
what is a VPN?

Virtual Private Network.

Here's Wikipidia's take on it:  A virtual private network extends a private network across a public network and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. Applications running across a VPN may, therefore, benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Wayne Gray said:

Virtual Private Network.

Here's Wikipidia's take on it:  A virtual private network extends a private network across a public network and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. Applications running across a VPN may, therefore, benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network.

yes .. think of it as a private tunnel.. that no one can see you thru

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

virtual private network

thanks, there's so much i don't know :/

i usually open my IT/Help Desk tickets with "Hope you don't mind one of my goofy questions, but here goes....."

1 minute ago, Wayne Gray said:

Virtual Private Network.

mmm ok.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, mollyhousemouse said:

i usually open my IT/Help Desk tickets with "Hope you don't mind one of my goofy questions, but here goes....."

mmm ok.....

Hehehe.

Okay.  A little easier.  If you have programs and systems that will only work on your job's network, if you have a VPN from your IT guys, you can make those programs work from anywhere.  Mostly.  Kinda.

• Like 2

it hides you online  ...

1 minute ago, mollyhousemouse said:

mmm ok.....

again .... think of it as a tunnel.. between your computer and whatever site.. that no one can see you thru

• Like 1
  • Love 1

so you can hide yourself .. you can visit sites you normally cant .. though my dev friend says bbc iplayer keeps catching them. .. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Hehehe.

Okay.  A little easier.  If you have programs and systems that will only work on your job's network, if you have a VPN from your IT guys, you can make those programs work from anywhere.  Mostly.  Kinda.

thanks

1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

it hides you online  ...

again .... think of it as a tunnel.. between your computer and whatever site.. that no one can see you thru

thanks tim, my own private tunnel i like that analogy, it helps

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, mayday said:

I am sorry, but I have to stop now. Have to get up in five hours. Unhealthy, I know.

Enjoy your evenings wherever you are in the new world, whether in snow or evening sunshine!

em

Hello, em. Welcome to the DiC. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
24 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

mmm ok.....

I just say “it’s a stupid question, but if I don’t ask...”  lol

For some reason, IT people seem to like that approach. Hmm.. :unsure:

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

I just say “it’s a stupid question, but if I don’t ask...”  lol

For some reason, IT people seem to like that approach. Hmm.. :unsure:

we have this one IT guy who used to start all of his replies to me with "First off, check the outlet, are you plugged in?"

the guy who handles our office now is all, "Let me walk you through it in case it ever happens again, you can try to fix it before you message me."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

we have this one IT guy who used to start all of his replies to me with "First off, check the outlet, are you plugged in?"

the guy who handles our office now is all, "Let me walk you through it in case it ever happens again, you can try to fix it before you message me."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

I’m going to read for a while, so good night everyone. The sweetest of happy dreams when your turn comes...

good night Reader

• Like 3
Just now, mollyhousemouse said:

OMG! YES!! 

that's hilarious and so true!

its a brilliant show .. i love it .. its sooooo funny

• Like 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

That reminds me of the British show The IT Crowd. The guy always asks "Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

• Like 4
Just now, MacGreg said:

That reminds me of the British show The IT Crowd. The guy always asks "Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

yes Sir

tim thought so too, he posted a clip of it

and now i'm going to have to look for it and watch a few episodes

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

its a brilliant show that one, Sir ..

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..