Archived threads

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

So, don't know if this belongs here, but I've noticed that all threads in the Lounge that haven't had replies in a week have now been archived. I'm assuming this is to prevent forum necromancy, which has been a bit of an issue lately, but it seems kind of counter intuitive that posts that had new replies as late as late October and early November are now archived. I went to post about a new gay theme movie I recently learned of in the relevant thread, and found that I can't because it's been archived. Given that some of these are ongoing threads that get a couple of responses per month that people actually care about, would it make more sense to give a little more time before topics are archived? Like maybe a month or something? Just a thought. It would be nice to not have to create a new topic for new and interesting films that people might want to watch after just a week, when it's a topic that people actually return to a lot.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

The purpose of archiving threads was to reduce the search cache which was increasing the server load. It is likely some newer threads with lower views were archived.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

The purpose of archiving threads was to reduce the search cache which was increasing the server load.

Okay, I see... But doesn't it seem excessive to archive them that soon? I get the idea of archiving them, I really do, and honestly I think it's a good thing. Just think it's sad that comparatively active threads that the community care about in practice disappear after a week or so. I don't know much about server load, but won't creating new topics for everything also increase it?

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

Start a new topic and include a link to the old one in the first post.

Unfortunately, we have 1 setting for archiving.  7 days covers the need to get the chat topics archived quickly but it is aggressive for other stuff. 

5 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I don't know much about server load, but won't creating new topics for everything also increase it?

No.  The easiest way to explain it, and it's not that accurate, is to say old topics cause fragmentation of data when they are lingering and getting posted to.  

• Like 3