Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

A Question on my Physics Class

Drew Espinosa

So, I am currently taking a Calculus-based Physics course, and in this class, we take four exams throughout the semester. My class has already taken three, and well... the results aren't pretty.

Spoiler

Median Exam Score

• Exam 1: 66%
  • Exam 2: 69%
  • Exam 3: 58%

This means, that in each exam, over half my class failed. It shouldn't be this way. My professor is both generous and harsh when it comes to grading. For example, on each question, you can get one of the following scores: 0, 3, 6, 9, 10. A zero means you did nothing. Getting a three means your answer is wrong, a six means your answer is partially correct, a nine means there are minor errors in your answer, and a ten is perfect.

This means, that as long as you put something down, you'll get partial credit. On the flip side however, to get a ten, the answer must be perfect, which is a pretty high bar. This means, it's difficult to get full marks, and real easy to get a six or a nine instead. 

But, he sets up two study sessions for the class before each exam, and we can come to one or both and study the material that will be on the exam. 

Despite this, many of my classmates still fail these exams. Is it possible that my professor is too harsh in grading, are his students not studying hard enough, or is it a combination of both?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I mean, it's hard to say, but it could be that the students aren't used to that way of grading.  Has the professor used this grading system for very long?  It sounds like he is covering the material that will be on the exams.  I had teachers that would take off points if the answer wasn't complete enough, or gave incorrect information, which sounds similar and yeah, getting full marks was pretty difficult, but most of the class still passed.  If most of the class fails though, that might be a problem.      

• Like 4

I will probably have a range of reactions, and this is my first.

Assuming most students are going to the review sessions and taking preparation seriously, it sounds like either the prof or the department are trying to communicate something with these marks. As in: “Physics is brutal, get used to it.” 

I use a similar marking rubric in Calculus; it’s pretty straightforward  to get middling credit, and full marks aren’t impossibly difficult to come by. Most of the time, the results are statistically what I’d expect: a few high and low marks, and a bunch in the C+ to B- range. 

Some schools have sorting courses, which try to weed out students viewed as unprepared or unserious. I don’t like that idea. Lots of students are underprepared, and still more simply think in ways significantly different from the ways department members may have learned. 

Sorry. Long winded answer...

• Like 4

Something I was told regularly when I was in school "C's get degrees". Some students just don't put the effort in to get full marks. If anyone in the class is getting full marks, then it seems like more effort would be advantageous.

Now if no one's getting full marks, or only the elite one or two, then maybe the the method should be looked at.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I use a similar marking rubric in Calculus; it’s pretty straightforward  to get middling credit, and full marks aren’t impossibly difficult to come by. Most of the time, the results are statistically what I’d expect: a few high and low marks, and a bunch in the C+ to B- range. 

Honestly, Parker, I wished a majority of my classmates got exam grades in the C+ to B- range. But, based on my class's medians, it looks like the main cluster is around F to D+.

4 hours ago, Kitt said:

Something I was told regularly when I was in school "C's get degrees". Some students just don't put the effort in to get full marks. If anyone in the class is getting full marks, then it seems like more effort would be advantageous.

Now if no one's getting full marks, or only the elite one or two, then maybe the the method should be looked at.

As far as I know, only two people in my class consistently get A's on these exams, that's out of 24 students. Now, I ain't saying everyone in my class should be getting A's on these exams, rather, I'd like to see most of my classmates get at least a C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I'd like to see most of my classmates get at least a C.

The important thing for you to worry about is where you fall into the stats.  Tom, Dick, and Harry can worry about themselves.

• Like 3