Special Characters in Story Titles.

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Its been a while since, I posted a story that had a special character/symbol in the title. I think it messed up something in the database, and Renee had to delete and I reposted.

So, with the upgrades, are special characters and symbols allowed in the title?

Such as: , ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + = - < > . ? / : ; " ' { [ } ] | \

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution
4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

So, with the upgrades, are special characters and symbols allowed in the title?

Such as: , ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + = - < > . ? / : ; " ' { [ } ] | \

I think so long as it does not start with anything like that (which the system should actually reject) it works fine.  The bug was that none of that is allowed in the friendly link system.  Ie, the link to the actual story.  So this: "This? No! That! That? No! This#" turns into this in the link: story/myr/this-no-that-that-no-this/

The previous bug wasn't properly stripping the odd characters and therefore the stories couldn't be found.

So, that example worked on the test server.  In theory it should also work on GA.  No promises as most that stuff certainly should not be used in a title. I can see a "!" or "?" maybe an "&".  But all of those are also programming symbols and one never knows when a hairball will be coughed up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1