Unpublish Chapter

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Today I wanted to delete the Preface/Prologue to my story, I am editing the chapters and wanted to take this out of the book. I clicked the Manage Chapter - Unpublish Chapter option. My entire book, every chapter, was unpublished. So I had to put back each chapter one by one by clicking Publish Chapter. 

Either the action Unpublish Chapter is wrong or the label should read Unpublish Story?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I clicked MANAGE CHAPTER - UNPUBLISH for the Prologue.

The entire story, every chapter was unpublished.

I'm just theorising, but maybe it was specifically because it was the prologue? Which isn't so much a first chapter as part of the story itself, as you can't choose to add just a prologue but check it when you first publish the story.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

maybe it was specifically because it was the prologue

I was thinking the same, but I don't want to test it by unpublishing a chapter, just in case the whole story goes. Whether or not it's relevant, I added the Prologue when the story was complete, not at the outset. This was because of a suggestion to explain the story, subsequently, someone else said the Prologue was a distraction. Torn between opposing points of view, I decided to unpublish it until I could figure out what to do. 

• Site Administrator
  • Solution

Yes it is a bug.  And yes, it's because of the 'not quite a chapter' nature of the prologue.

I've reported the bug to the programmer.

• Like 3
On 12/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, Talo Segura said:

subsequently, someone else said the Prologue was a distraction. Torn between opposing points of view, I decided to unpublish it until I could figure out what to do.

While I didn’t read the prologue that you included because it had been removed, I don’t understand why the prologue would be considered a distraction. I consider it an explanation for how the story came about, which I found interesting, and thus something that would interest the reader. Each reader can choose to read it or not. Remember, it is a preface or prologue and not an actual part of the story. But Camp Echo is your creation and you have to decide whether it belongs or not. I just thought that it would help to attract more readers.

Edited by Arran
  • Like 2
On 12/24/2019 at 5:12 AM, Arran said:

While I didn’t read the prologue that you included because it had been removed, I don’t understand why the prologue would be considered a distraction. I consider it an explanation for how the story came about, which I found interesting, and thus something that would interest the reader. Each reader can choose to read it or not. Remember, it is a preface or prologue and not an actual part of the story. But Camp Echo is your creation and you have to decide whether it belongs or not. I just thought that it would help to attract more readers.

Just a note, a preface is not the same as a prologue. Also, this isn't the venue to discuss it. There's an older thread about prologues in the Writer's club, though. :)

• Like 1