Looking for a Beta/Editor for new novel length story

Story concept: The idea is based around an imaginary friend, someone you grew up with. Most people grow out of having imaginary friends or talking with themselves, but there are some who don't. We put labels on those guys: "crazy", "nut", and the most modern clean label "mental divergent" for speaking to no one and enjoying their own perceived loneliness. In my story, I am creating a character based on this concept.

The twist is, the character meets his imaginary friend, who really does exist. His friend is a disfigured and emotionally detached due to an accident took away his family and permanently disabled him. He grew up usually very quiet and reserved to everyone except to the boy in his head, who constantly speaks with in his head. They have existed in each other's imaginations, since they were young and know the most intimate details about one another.

Story Setting: It would be modern. I am thinking College or University setting. The dorm set up is something I've had heard about and thought would be a great way to introduce these distinct guys.

Length: Possibly 50K+ words

Genre: Science Fiction and Fantasy, the two main characters have a Psi ability, telepathy; one is naturally a receiver and the other is naturally a transmitter, though both can do both. There will be some odd side-characters, major questions about knowledge/information (It wouldn't be my original story if I don't make social commentary), and an intriguing conflict. I'm going to play around in this particular area as telepaths always fascinated me from the time I watched Babylon 5 as a kid.

----------

Anyone interested in this new project?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 year later...
On 8/19/2022 at 8:45 PM, Quilah said:

Was this project ever brought to life?

Attempted, but my beta at the time didn't get the concept of a hybrid horror/mystery theme and I couldn't figure out a way to make it approachable for people not deep into this subgenre of science fiction and fantasy.

I've got notes on the story that may come up later and some character concepts that I later used for my romance fiction, As True As It Can Be, came out of this attempt.

Here's the story of what would have been revealed if the first book had hit the right chord with readers:  human civilization and our concepts about the afterlife were all a honey trap created by certain religious leaders to ingratiate themselves to a powerful extra-dimensional life form, who would, in turn, consume human consciousness upon death (the light at the end of the tunnel is actually the openings of a mouth). Telepaths and Empaths without knowing their purpose was used to facilitate the conversion of souls/consciousness as a food source and add spice to the bland nature of the human experience for the life form's dining pleasure. Precognitive psi-powered individuals, an aspect that evolved independently of the telepath/empath, discovered the truth and with the help of some rebel telepaths and empaths fought the extra-dimensional being along with its human allies and adherents to a standstill with the threat of mutual annihilation and trapping the lifeform to this world.

Essentially, To Serve Man, being a cookbook from the famous twilight zone episode, is the Bible, Torah, Koran, Dao Jing, Hindu/Buddhist Sutras, and many more just depending on the flavor that is being offered. 

Getting from my starting point to the revelation is really hard, conceptually it was maybe too ambitious.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2022 at 9:28 PM, W_L said:

Attempted, but my beta at the time didn't get the concept of a hybrid horror/mystery theme and I couldn't figure out a way to make it approachable for people not deep into this subgenre of science fiction and fantasy.

I've got notes on the story that may come up later and some character concepts that I later used for my romance fiction, As True As It Can Be, came out of this attempt.

Here's the story of what would have been revealed if the first book had hit the right chord with readers:  human civilization and our concepts about the afterlife were all a honey trap created by certain religious leaders to ingratiate themselves to a powerful extra-dimensional life form, who would, in turn, consume human consciousness upon death (the light at the end of the tunnel is actually the openings of a mouth). Telepaths and Empaths without knowing their purpose was used to facilitate the conversion of souls/consciousness as a food source and add spice to the bland nature of the human experience for the life form's dining pleasure. Precognitive psi-powered individuals, an aspect that evolved independently of the telepath/empath, discovered the truth and with the help of some rebel telepaths and empaths fought the extra-dimensional being along with its human allies and adherents to a standstill with the threat of mutual annihilation and trapping the lifeform to this world.

Essentially, To Serve Man, being a cookbook from the famous twilight zone episode, is the Bible, Torah, Koran, Dao Jing, Hindu/Buddhist Sutras, and many more just depending on the flavor that is being offered. 

Getting from my starting point to the revelation is really hard, conceptually it was maybe too ambitious.

Oh wow, okay. 

Very interesting. A lot of depth, and a concept I was not expecting. Characters being raised as fodder for a extra- dimensional life form! What?! Whoa.
Loved the idea of the mental connection, and there being one who gives out the "signal" and one who receives. 

Will have to check out As True As It Can Be!

Thanks for the reply :)

9 minutes ago, Quilah said:

Oh wow, okay. 

Very interesting. A lot of depth, and a concept I was not expecting. Characters being raised as fodder for a extra- dimensional life form! What?! Whoa.
Loved the idea of the mental connection, and there being one who gives out the "signal" and one who receives. 

Will have to check out As True As It Can Be!

Thanks for the reply :)

Well, I switched genres, when my first attempt at a novel-length story didn't go anywhere and I couldn't find a way to write it. As True as it Can be is gay romance fiction, not science fantasy/horror which my original novel would have been. 

If you've ever seen the original movie Phantasm + a dabbled in HP Lovecraft, then you will kind of get my story. Similar themes and high concepts, but its niche appeal.

• Like 1