I write in Microsoft Word 2019 because I've used it forever and know my around backward and forward. When I copy and paste into the chapter content box on GA, everything usually looks fine. However, when I see the formatted final version, there are strange changes. Sometimes, a sentence is underlined that wasn't in my original. Almost always, the first sentence is in a smaller font size than the rest of the chapter. I even tried deleting and retyping that sentence in the content box, but it doesn't help.

I realize that copying from Word is fraught, so I try to be as basic as possible. I write only in Calibri, 12 point, and I don't use any "fancy" indentation or paragraph spacing. I have searched the Writers FAQ pages, but I didn't find anything conclusive there, except how to remove the ^p^p extra paragraph breaks, which I do every time.

If there is a template or "how to" guide for getting things from Word to GA, please let me know where to find it. I'm happy to follow any specific guidelines if they exist.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
13 hours ago, Tim Hobson said:

If there is a template or "how to" guide for getting things from Word to GA, please let me know where to find it. I'm happy to follow any specific guidelines if they exist.

You've read the guidance.  There are too many combinations of interacting software to give an answer.  You can clear things out on your own though in the editor. 

1. Select all chapter text
  2. Hit the remove text formatting button image.png
  3. Remark bold, italics in the chapter text editor.

Obviously, this approach removes bold and italics as well as any quirks.  (But, then, bold and italics should not be used all that much in writing)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Myr said:

You've read the guidance.  There are too many combinations of interacting software to give an answer.  You can clear things out on your own though in the editor. 

1. Select all chapter text
  2. Hit the remove text formatting button image.png
  3. Remark bold, italics in the chapter text editor.

Obviously, this approach removes bold and italics as well as any quirks.  (But, then, bold and italics should not be used all that much in writing)

Thanks for the tip about the button. I'll try it.

I use italics primarily for words that are not in English. In a story of international intrigue, there are quite a few of those. I never use bold, but I sometimes underline a word here and there. I learned "the rules of writing" 30+ years ago and spent my career writing technical papers, so I may need to brush up on the current guidelines. Thanks again for your answer.

• Like 2