Hello Again

Welcome back and thank you for sharing. I've worked with stroke survivors and witnessed firsthand the devastating aftermath a stroke can leave behind. 

So many people focus on the physical aspects that they forget about the mental and emotional ones. Oftentimes the issues are permanent and life-altering. 

If you feel the urge to write please do. Reach out for help if you need it. GA is still a welcoming and helpful community. 

Keep up the good work on your recovery!

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, PBax said:

Hi, Kbois. Thanks for the thoughtful welcome. Ugh. I've already found some trouble understanding how to navigate the site--and perplexed by what does what why. I might be calling on your help, lol. I hate banging on brick walls. 

Go ahead and pm me anytime. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Welcome back to the wonderful community that is GA. I hope you will enjoy the many offerings that have been posted over the years and that you will add to them. I also hope that you will make many new friends here and hopefully reconnect with friends from your previous time on here. 😃

• Like 4

I know your name isn't Kotter, but welcome back.  I'm sorry to hear about your recent medical situation, but feel at home here, because you won't be the only one whose brain is slightly damaged.  I had growths on the brain several years ago, and although the situation has been dealt with, some of the problems still linger.  There is a very accepting and welcoming community here, so relax, enjoy, and participate in any way you desire, whether it is reading, writing, or something else (and no I wasn't almost tempted to say 'rithmatic).  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Welcome back @PBax!  I also wish to offer my help.  I love the GA community and as a retired guy have plenty of time to help.  Just PM me using the envelop icon at the top of each page. I was gone for several years, but returned about 18 months ago.  Site navigation changed a lot during my absence, so I know what you are experiencing now.   

(As for @Mrsgnomie and @kbois just know that you will be using the 😆 reaction button a lot!  They are like twin sisters of different mothers who collaborate and pull each other's chains a lot.)

Edited by raven1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Don’t fall for @kbois kindness. It’s a facade. If you need help, just reach out to me 😉😉

Omfg... really? That's like reaching into a den of rattlesnakes. 

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, raven1 said:

@PBax!     

(As for @Mrsgnomie and @kbois just know that you will be using the 😆 reaction button a lot!  They are like twin sisters of different mothers who collaborate and put each other chains a lot.)

Ugh.... more like she's my bratty baby sister. Always looking for attention. 

• Haha 3
31 minutes ago, kbois said:

Ugh.... more like she's my bratty baby sister. Always looking for attention. 

Leave it to kbois to prove my point.  Next up should be Mrsgnomie.

• Haha 2

While you're all here and interested in helping  😀 ....

Blogs. Under categories some are listed "Author" and some are listed "Member" and I would love to know the difference. I don't remember anything about this. If I did a Blog here could I get edit/constructive advice, or are Blogs under a different ethos?

Pre-stroke, the only thing I ever put on the site was short. I'm not in the right mindset to set off writing a novel a year post-stroke. 😁  As the site is organized, where is the appropriate place to exercise my skills using the short story--let's better call it the short-short story? I would like to be able to achieve start middle and end, take the gratification and start anew. I like foreplay as much as anybody but....

I had a great speech therapist. Grueling in a good way. Never left a session without a migraine. But every session we left on a super high note I could achieve. Start, middle, end and a new slightly different exercise next session. 

(Writing this took me 90 minutes. It's still not the concept I wanted to convey. But I'm pretty sure you guys can guide me to the right directions. Like I said, I'm not setting off the next great American novel. I'll be dead first.)   

• Like 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, PBax said:

Blogs. Under categories some are listed "Author" and some are listed "Member" and I would love to know the difference. I don't remember anything about this. If I did a Blog here could I get edit/constructive advice, or are Blogs under a different ethos?

Pre-stroke, the only thing I ever put on the site was short. I'm not in the right mindset to set off writing a novel a year post-stroke. 😁  As the site is organized, where is the appropriate place to exercise my skills using the short story--let's better call it the short-short story? I would like to be able to achieve start middle and end, take the gratification and start anew. I like foreplay as much as anybody but....

I had a great speech therapist. Grueling in a good way. Never left a session without a migraine. But every session we left on a super high note I could achieve. Start, middle, end and a new slightly different exercise next session. 

(Writing this took me 90 minutes. It's still not the concept I wanted to convey. But I'm pretty sure you guys can guide me to the right directions. Like I said, I'm not setting off the next great American novel. I'll be dead first.)   

Blogs are the area where members and authors can post almost anything. Updates about their lives, observations about life in general, etc. 

Administration uses it to post regular features such as the Weekly Wrap Up, Ask An Author or to share other news such as author promotions. 

If you're looking for help, this forum (The Lounge) is a good place to be. 

You don't need to write a full length novel. Many authors post short stories which are only a few chapters. A good way to get back into writing is to use the Prompt feature which is posted in the blogs every Thursday and also in the Weekly Wrap-Up. 

Another way is to participate in the Anthology. This year's theme is Leap of Faith. Guidelines usually limit the words to 20k or less. 

The best way to figure out what works for you is to explore the site and ask questions. It's not hard to fins someone willing to help. (Even @Mrsgnomie although I'd be wary if I were you 🤭)

Having goals is admiral and you'll do great. It doesn't matter if you write a 5000 word story or a 50000 word story. As long as you enjoy what you're doing... go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PBax said:

In the blog area the only difference between the blog listings is that those listed 'in author' are blogs posted by authors. Those listed as 'in member' are blogs posted by members who are not authors. Other than that there is no difference, as @kbois stated the subject matter varies but these are not stories. The weekly wrap up is interesting and useful as it gives a recap on weekly events and information posted by site admin. Ask an Author is just that, all members are invited to message @astone2292 with a few questions that we would like to ask a specific author. astone2292 will then interview that author to ask those questions, he then posts that interview for us all to read, they are interesting and sometimes funny and are a joy to read. Have a read of some of the most recent ones and you soon see what I mean.

1 hour ago, PBax said:

To post a story follow this link https://gayauthors.org/tags/post stories/ and all will be explained on how and where to post a story, if you have any difficulties any member of site admin will do what they can to help, don't be worried about bothering them that's what they are there for. 

As kbois said in her post there is no requirement to post lengthy stories, many of us post short stories, some as short as about 1000 words up to 5000 words. The length of the story is entirely up to you as the author. kbois suggestion of checking out the weekly prompts blog is a good one and worth looking into, as is checking out the anthology and considering participating. It may be helpful for you join the 'writers circle' follow this link https://gayauthors.org/clubs/6-writers-circle/Lastly if you need any help or assistance just ask one of the many members, we are a friendly bunch and one of us should be able to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction. Posting in the forums is bound to get someones attention and help will be close to hand.

Sorry if my reply is a bit long winded, I'm trying to be as helpful as I can, as are the other members who have replied to you, see it shows we are nice and friendly (except between @kbois and @Mrsgnomie, they just love to bicker and do it for fun, it's very entertaining when they do, lol. I hope when they read this they remember I love them really).

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@Mancunian I write long winded questions. They pretty much beg long winded answers. The more info and shared insight the better. I read instruction manuals, read the signs on the front of store doors and windows, and before the joys of getting lost were ruined by a GPS in the pocket, I would stop and ask for directions. Bring on the info. I'm a junkie for the stuff.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

In the blog area the only difference between the blog listings is that those listed 'in author' are blogs posted by authors. Those listed as 'in member' are blogs posted by members who are not authors. Other than that there is no difference, as @kbois stated the subject matter varies but these are not stories. The weekly wrap up is interesting and useful as it gives a recap on weekly events and information posted by site admin. Ask an Author is just that, all members are invited to message @astone2292 with a few questions that we would like to ask a specific author. astone2292 will then interview that author to ask those questions, he then posts that interview for us all to read, they are interesting and sometimes funny and are a joy to read. Have a read of some of the most recent ones and you soon see what I mean.

To post a story follow this link https://gayauthors.org/tags/post stories/ and all will be explained on how and where to post a story, if you have any difficulties any member of site admin will do what they can to help, don't be worried about bothering them that's what they are there for. 

As kbois said in her post there is no requirement to post lengthy stories, many of us post short stories, some as short as about 1000 words up to 5000 words. The length of the story is entirely up to you as the author. kbois suggestion of checking out the weekly prompts blog is a good one and worth looking into, as is checking out the anthology and considering participating. It may be helpful for you join the 'writers circle' follow this link https://gayauthors.org/clubs/6-writers-circle/Lastly if you need any help or assistance just ask one of the many members, we are a friendly bunch and one of us should be able to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction. Posting in the forums is bound to get someones attention and help will be close to hand.

Sorry if my reply is a bit long winded, I'm trying to be as helpful as I can, as are the other members who have replied to you, see it shows we are nice and friendly (except between @kbois and @Mrsgnomie, they just love to bicker and do it for fun, it's very entertaining when they do, lol. I hope when they read this they remember I love them really).

I love @Mrsgnomie

Really. 

jim carrey GIF

• Haha 3