BL Shows of note

1 minute ago, Drew Espinosa said:

All right, I just finished the latest two episodes of the Chinese BL, Stay With Me. I've been following this drama religiously since it premiered in the beginning of July, and it's quickly become one of my favorite BLs of 2023. I'm actually bracing myself for the final two episodes, which come out tomorrow, because I've seen rumors that the series will have an open ending to set up for a second season.

So is it solidly in the realm of BL and not a "bromance" like people kept saying?

6 hours ago, Bardeara said:

It is in my top 10 BL shows... I think it might be.  I recommend you give it a go. 

I'd basically been saying this to Drew since about episode 3, if the series remained as solid as it started that would be the case, and for sure now it's in my top 10. I loved every episode.  The acting was so well done, the writing, the character development.  The pairing of Krist and Gawin worked amazingly well.  It wasn't the most obvious pairing, and not even the first choice originally, but they came together and made magic.  I keep repeating that I would love to see them in another series.  Not sure if Krist will want to do another BL again, but he and Gawin do so well together it would be a shame not to.  

4 hours ago, Bardeara said:

Now with the pairing approach that Thai tends to do.  I hope he doesn't do to Fluke, like what was done to him along with several other actors have seen happen to.

I share the sentiment as you can probably tell from my above statement.  I was actually surprised to learn a week or two ago (from an interview Krist gave last year) that BMF was originally intended to be a revival of Krist acting alongside Singto, but scheduling and Singto's status as a freelance actor conflicted and ultimately it didn't work out.  Gawin being the third choice for the second lead of BMF seems almost accidental, and yet I wouldn't have wanted anyone else for Krist's new pairing.  

Like you I was more than skeptical of Krist and nearly skipped the series, but the concept is what drew me in.  I also remembered that his acting style was based on a character concept and I had not actually seen any of his other works so I couldn't say if the character he portrayed in SOTUS was due to an acting abilities or if it was the way the character was.   Regardless I'd say he's grown as an actor and likely was able to grow more over those years which helped him. 

I've yet to watch SOTUS.  That might sound weird since it's  kinda what started the whole BL wave, but the plot didn't particularly interest me, and there's better school BLs that have been release since.  So I never actually saw Krist in anything else, but I'd heard a lot of comments about his acting.  I was going to watch BMF cause I was drawn in by the trailer.  When I saw the first episode, and Krist being basically nothing like anyone said, convinced me the guy was a pretty talented actor, and I pretty much became an instant fan. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, spike382 said:

So is it solidly in the realm of BL and not a "bromance" like people kept saying?

Throughout this series, Wu Bi and Su Yu have been pretty physically affectionate, short of actually kissing. Now, the sort of physical affection they showed would clock as romantic to you and me; but I've seen others point out that in East Asia this sort of physicality is common among male friends, so it wouldn't register as romantic to an Asian audience.

However, the latest episode decisively placed the series in the BL category rather than the "bromance" one, because we actually got two kisses between them, albeit on the cheeks but that's still more than what we get out of other Chinese BLs. And in all the arguments I've seen about this series, I don't think anyone has said, "well ackshually, male friends in China kiss each other all the time."

• Like 1

Too many shows to add to the list to view.  Ugh.

Unrelated to this thread but it's better to share in this thread as it's two Asian series that I really enjoyed

Doctor Stranger (2014)  & Island (2022) (and part to of Island)   I just want to share both as they were so good, and anyone here looking for eye candy likely will find it... maybe.  guess it's depends on ones taste. They are both Korean shows

28 minutes ago, Bardeara said:

Unrelated to this thread but it's better to share in this thread as it's two Asian series that I really enjoyed

Doctor Stranger (2014)  & Island (2022) (and part to of Island)   I just want to share both as they were so good, and anyone here looking for eye candy likely will find it... maybe.  guess it's depends on ones taste. They are both Korean shows

I actually used to watch k-dramas pretty regularly years ago, that's actually how I got into BLs, because I found out South Korea would be releasing its first BL. I latched onto that series immediately, because it obviously centered on a gay relationship, which no prior K-drama had done.

I haven't seen either Doctor Stranger or Island 1 & 2, though I really should put the later two on my watchlist, because I'm a fan of Cha Eun Woo. I first saw him in Rookie Historian: Goo Hae-ryung (2019), and I was immediately captivated by him. Yes, it was mostly because he's insanely gorgeous but he's also a pretty good actor.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bardeara said:

First episode is now online on YouTube. 

Thoughts?

One thing I feel like is already going well, is the balance between all the characters.  There's 6 main characters, and not necessarily a massive amount of time to give them each the attention they need to develop.  But the show did visual story telling, a lot of showing to give you an idea of their personalities and motivations.  It doesn't spend overly long on any single person giving each character a proper introduction and directions on where their journeys will head.  

This story is a bit unique among BLs, generally a lot of actions of the characters might give the whole "this is sweet, butterflies are in my stomach" when the characters flirt, etc.  But, us as viewers, have an idea that nothing we're seeing right now, can exactly be taken at face value.  Secrets, conflicts, and maybe betrayals await.  As I mentioned to @Drew Espinosa elsewhere, I can't drop my guard at any point with this series.  

Edited by spike382
  • Like 1

With the upcoming spin off series, I'm just wondering if anyone has watched the Cutie Pie series or it's sequel?  What are you thoughts on it. Also, is anyone looking forward to the upcoming spin off Naughty Babe series?  I've attached the trailer for anyone interested in watching it.

7 hours ago, Bardeara said:

With the upcoming spin off series, I'm just wondering if anyone has watched the Cutie Pie series or it's sequel?

Cutie Pie is one of the few series where @spike382 and I have significantly different views on: I liked it, and he hated it. Though, I'll be honest, Yi and Diao were my least favorite couple in that series, so I'm still debating whether or not to watch Naughty Babe.

• Like 1

So, I've decided to give the new series "Laws of Attraction" a try and I finished the first two eps.   Is anyone following it?

All I'm like is damn, this is good.  But what's killing me the most is those damn eyes... Can someone please look at me like that!!! 

7 minutes ago, Bardeara said:

So, I've decided to give the new series "Laws of Attraction" a try and I finished the first two eps.   Is anyone following it?

All I'm like is damn, this is good.  But what's killing me the most is those damn eyes... Can someone please look at me like that!!! 

I have been following, the first episode felt a little rocky, but I decided to stick with it.  For me the series has been getting better with each episode, so it’s really been worth continuing to watch, cause every new episode is the best one yet.

Once the leads hit their rhythm and start working together, even when they aren’t always on the same page, the series has its best moments. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, spike382 said:

I have been following, the first episode felt a little rocky, but I decided to stick with it.  For me the series has been getting better with each episode, so it’s really been worth continuing to watch, cause every new episode is the best one yet.

Once the leads hit their rhythm and start working together, even when they aren’t always on the same page, the series has its best moments. 

Good to know.  

The ending of the first episode had my mouth hit the floor.  The whole scene was near perfect from a creative stand point.  just the camera angles had me going wtf. It was a good cliffhanger that made me move into the second ep. 

Thank you for letting me know that it's getting better with each ep.  I'm enjoying these mature stories so much better than the classic college ones. 

I had to put Laws of Attraction on the back-burner for now, because I'm already juggling several BL series as is. However, I will get back to it as soon as I can, especially since I do like the lead actors, Jam and Film, from watching their first series To Sir, With Love. And @Bardeara if you plan on watching To Sir, With Love, just be aware that it is a lakorn (Thai soap opera) so it'll have a different feel to it than what you're used to with other BLs.

Thank you for letting me know that it's getting better with each ep.  I'm enjoying these mature stories so much better than the classic college ones. 

Speaking of mature series, have you seen Manner of Death, yet?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I had to put Laws of Attraction on the back-burner for now, because I'm already juggling several BL series as is. However, I will get back to it as soon as I can, especially since I do like the lead actors, Jam and Film, from watching their first series To Sir, With Love. And @Bardeara if you plan on watching To Sir, With Love, just be aware that it is a lakorn (Thai soap opera) so it'll have a different feel to it than what you're used to with other BLs.

Speaking of mature series, have you seen Manner of Death, yet?

Manner of Death, it's one of the ones I've still got to see when I have "binge time".   I know once I start I won't stop and two things transpired.

Family drama, not bad per say... in terms of drama, but rather family health issues.   Also, I thought I start bugging you all again and that's been consuming my time too. lol priorities I guess. 

5 hours ago, Bardeara said:

Manner of Death, it's one of the ones I've still got to see when I have "binge time".   I know once I start I won't stop and two things transpired.

One other attraction to Manner of Death is the scenery.  I never realized just how beautiful Chiang Mai was until this series.  Lots of series have portions set there, you get a feel for it, but Manner of Death shows it in such a way, I wanted to visit immediately.

• Like 2

Finished the first episode of Dangerous Romance awhile ago. It really did a great job at highlighting the main characters personalities: Kanghan as the spoiled rich boy who lords over the school, and Sailom as the scholarship kid working hard for a better future for himself and his family. Both Perth and Chimon shined as actors in Never Let Me Go, and they continued to shine here in Dangerous Romance. They are definitely well on their way to being one of my favorite GMM pairings.

7 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Finished the first episode of Dangerous Romance awhile ago. It really did a great job at highlighting the main characters personalities: Kanghan as the spoiled rich boy who lords over the school, and Sailom as the scholarship kid working hard for a better future for himself and his family. Both Perth and Chimon shined as actors in Never Let Me Go, and they continued to shine here in Dangerous Romance. They are definitely well on their way to being one of my favorite GMM pairings.

not gonna lie, i forgot they were in it until you mentioned it.  honestly, i think i watched it in a doped up state.  No I wasn't high in the contexts of what you might think. I had surgury earlier this year and I was on pain meds.  couldn't sleep so I watched a lot of off the rails things and that was one of them. 

• Like 2

I just finished the first ep of  I Feel You Linger In The Air.   I might have to rewatch this when I'm not feeling as groggy as I am.  I feel like I missed several important things.   Regardless how I feel at the moment, this show, at least for me seems very promising. I'm interested to see where the story goes. 
One things that's stands out personally for me.  Is having dreams of someone you've never meet, but are certain theirs a connection.  

Edited by Bardeara

On an unrelated note, I decided to give the series Wedding Plan a chance.   The main reason is that not only were the main actors in the series "Love in the Air" but also they were reprises those characters.   I think they are guest stars, but it was enough to make me say heck with it, it's a spin off and I enjoyed the story of Sky and Prapai. 

3 hours ago, Bardeara said:

I might have to rewatch this when I'm not feeling as groggy as I am.  I feel like I missed several important things.

As an FYI, YouTube has the cut version. The uncut version is on IQIYI.

2 hours ago, Bardeara said:

I think they are guest stars, but it was enough to make me say heck with it, it's a spin off and I enjoyed the story of Sky and Prapai. 

I think every series by Mame exists in the same universe, so one could make the argument that all her series are spin-offs of each other, lol.

• Like 1