Of Pride and Power Series

Just a place for readers to ask questions, ponder alt-history in this universe, and have fun.

Not sure if I have a lot of readers in this alt-history 16th-century English setting novel or not, but I thought I'd open it up for discussions. Eli is not Elizabeth I, nor a true male heir, but it plays out with interesting what-ifs based on history. An intersex/non-binary standpoint is something new for me to write, so I appreciate it if any NBs want to point out things to me for improvement. I've read enough Omegaverse stories to write feminine Omega male characters and I am gay, so the gay perspective doesn't bother me. Writing a true intersex character is unexplored territory, which I have not seen in medieval/alt-history fantasy fiction and seldom read about in general fiction either.

Of Pride and Power

I am also starting some tie-in short stories in this universe to give folks a bit of scale and reflection on the dimensions of the ideological conflicts, how does the alternate 16th century function? What type of forces are we talking about? This is a rough era of religious wars between the various sects of Christianity. Historians will also know this was an era that saw Islam under the Ottoman Empire make their greatest push into central Europe, but the advanced technologies will alter the trajectory of history. 

Res Publica Christiana

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

While I was writing chapter 9, I noticed an odd thing in English history during my research. While some of the chapter was based on cases in German and France areas in the 15th-16th century, I couldn't find cases in England of similar nature.

I have heard of local legends in England and Wales regarding monsters and evil nobles via my love of horror genre, but there's no historical proof of the atrocities being committed. Unlike Continental Europe, where there are case histories of mass murderers, cannibals, and perverse acts being done by nobles and landed gentry.  

Seems odd that no one ever caught such fiends, or they aren't recorded in history in England or Wales. Were these records purged from history for some reason and only oral legends of monsters remain? If UK readers would like to answer this curiosity, I'd be very interested.

• 5 months later...

While I was writing chapter 9, I noticed an odd thing in English history during my research. While some of the chapter was based on cases in German and France areas in the 15th-16th century, I couldn't find cases in England of similar nature.

I have heard of local legends in England and Wales regarding monsters and evil nobles via my love of horror genre, but there's no historical proof of the atrocities being committed. Unlike Continental Europe, where there are case histories of mass murderers, cannibals, and perverse acts being done by nobles and landed gentry.  

Seems odd that no one ever caught such fiends, or they aren't recorded in history in England or Wales. Were these records purged from history for some reason and only oral legends of monsters remain? If UK readers would like to answer this curiosity, I'd be very interested. Overall this is very interesting thing to me, i also want to write some stories and for this reasons i do practice to find new gay people through https://taimi.com/us-dating/gay and listening to them

Cool review. I also want to start reading this and looking forward to write my own review