Editors!

Topaz

Hi... I was hoping someone could help me out.

Editors...

What exactly is their job? I know its sounds stupid, and all. It’s just well; I have this great person that helps me in this department. I love writing but I suck at English; Big time!

The thing is, I know it involves correct spelling and grammar but this chick will totally redo paragraphs and even add them. Stuff that I never wrote; I normally do a double take when it comes back. I just don’t know; this is all new to me. I didn't think I was that bad.

Don’t get me wrong I’m very grateful for the help, and she was willing to do this for me. But I feel it’s not even my story after it comes back. It’s like the flavour has been taken away. She knows her stuff with the grammar and all and I’m not one to tell her how to do her job, especially when I have no idea myself.

I have talked to others that know my work. They explained it to me that when it comes back from her, it lacks depth. I thought maybe I was making a mountain out of a molehill. Maybe she’s right and I’m not. *shrugs * I just don’t know! But I can tell it does lose its soul. It ends up as passionate as a shopping list.

I suppose what I need to know is; is this normal and should I just go with it? I’m confused on this issue, totally lost.

Edited by Topaz

It's always been my understanding that the relationship between an editor and an author was supposed to be pretty equal. And it's just that, a 'relationship'. You'd have to really find someone who understands your work and what you're trying to do with it, someone who's on the same page, you know? The whole idea is to get someone, outside of yourself, to give you an objective opinion of what your story reads like. Other people catch mistakes that you might not see, and not just spelling wise, but plot wise too. I know that there are a lot of times where a story or a scene or a concept is completely fleshed out in my head and I can visualize it perfectly. But that's in my head. What I write and actually transmit to other people reading, might be missing some really important details or raise questions that I didn't even think about. Editors catch that kind of stuff.

At least that's my personal understanding of what an editor does. I, personally, do all of my own editing (Even though I'm not the best at it). But it's pretty much for the same reasons you posted. I get itchy when it cmes to my own stuff, I'd freak out if it wasn't 100% me, you know what I mean? I'm a big brat that way. Still if you wanted to get a feel of how important a specific editor is and how to choose one, try one of these excercises that I got from a writing class in college once. Write a short story, beginning to end, and let three or four different people edit the same thing. Chances are, you'll get 4 completely different versions of it back to you. See which one suits you best. I think it really is something you have to feel out.

I don't think it's anyone's place to re-write your story though, especially if you're not happy with the result.

As an editor, I try to catch all the normal typos and misused words but I would never write whole paragraphs. Instead, I would tell you what my impression of the troubling section is and where I felt the section went wrong. You may want that section to read that way and that is your choice. As an editor, my job is to help you present the best story you can, not to co-write it.

That's my 2

• Site Administrator

That's the type of editor I'm looking for EMoe.

I'm not looking for a co-author. I just need someone to tell me when something I wrote is awkward or misspelled.

But it really depends on what you're looking for.

I have my own strict, highly opinionated view of what editors must be.

The unbreakable commandments for an editor are:

1. The Author's work is just that. His/Hers and no other. As an editor I shall not, under ANY circumstances abuse or make changes to the original text. It is the author's sole right to accept/reject my suggestions for change.

2. All corrections of any kind shall be indicated near the error enclosed with brackets [ ] so the author may use a convenient search utility for "[" to find my suggestions.

3. Plot errors/serious omissions shall be noted within brackets below the paragraph in which I believe changes should be made. This includes suggested changes to entire sentences/paragraphs/additional paragraphs to help, in my vew, the clarity and accuracy of the work.

4. The work shall be handled with reverence, for it is truly the soul of the author poured forth into text.

I help two authors, and I would never have the conceit to think I can/should make changes directly to their work. I am not the author.

Sorry for sounding like a dictator, but this is an area I feel very strongly about.

Davin

Edited by Davin
  • Site Administrator

That sounds good Davin... are you looking to be an editor around here? I know of a few people that are looking...

That sounds good Davin... are you looking to be an editor around here?  I know of a few people that are looking...

I love the work, but truthfully I do not know that I can take on the additional responsibility. My job as a system administrator takes up a good 12-16 hours of my day. I manage to find the time for the other two authors during my 'slack' periods when I have nothing to do.

I would be willing to try, but until I see how much additional time it takes I cannot truly commit to it "full time".

Dav

Davin is absolutely the BEST editor I know. Hehehe ... he's the only editor I know! And he edits all my work. The thing about Davin is, he never wants any credit. His satisfaction comes from doing an impeccable job. You're the best, Dav. Thanks!

Davin is absolutely the BEST editor I know.  Hehehe ... he's the only editor I know!  And he edits all my work.  The thing about Davin is, he never wants any credit.  His satisfaction comes from doing an impeccable job.  You're the best, Dav.  Thanks!

<bright red blush>

Thanks Jevic :)

D

Thanks,

Now I have a better understanding what goes on. I just didn't want to upset this girl she was just trying to help.

It threw me when she was adding things; it took the story off track and I had to spend time going over it again. I was approached by another person who was interested in helping me with my editing, and I did notice a huge difference when it was returned. There was no adding for one thing, that's was the best part...so I guess it comes down to different styles.

Edited by Topaz

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..