Hang over cures...

BoyNeedsTherapy

ok, so you guys might not know, but I enjoy a drink on occasion, just one or two though 0:) So I was wondering if any of you have any hangover cures that actually work...obviously as I only like one or two drinks I don't really get hungover *ahem* so...it's really just out of curiosity... 0:)0:)0:)

Edited by BoyNeedsTherapy

Drinking water is about the best thing as it replaces fluid lost as that alcohol is not hydrating fluid so it leaves you dehydrated which causes headaches and that sluggish feeling. So pop a couple of pain killers and drink plenty of water. It is usually better to try and drink a pint of water before you go to bed and throughout the night, but if your like me when you drink you are probably too wasted to care about tomorrows hangover :P

Though failing that you could try eating greasy food which seems to helps too :D:P

Edited by Mark_L

In addition to dehydration, there is also the associated electrolyte imbalance. My nephew, who is a US Army medic currently somewhere in Afghanistan had the best cure. When he woke up with a hangover, he started an IV on himself, hang a bag, and went back to sleep :lmao: . Yes, he is definitely a member of the "Dog" family even if he has a different last name (sister's kid).

:king: Snow Dog

When I get hungover (which I never do because I'm just so innocent) I either drink gatorade, lemonade or chocolate milk and if that doesn't work codeine pills are good at taking pain away.

0:) Greg

From my own experience drinking water before going to bed definitely helps. :2thumbs:

But a friend recently told me, that he drinks loads of milk before sleeping? :blink: He thinks this is the ultimate hangover cure.. haven't tested it yet, but i think i'll give it a try soon :2thumbs:

From what I hear, the first thing is to avoid some of the damage when drinking by drinking decent quality alcohol: It's supposedly less likely to cause hangovers than the cheep stuff (and this applies to bear, wine, and liquor).

Secondly: drink water, both while drinking and after you wake up. OJ is good too as it addresses the electrolyte issues somewhat.

I have zero personal experience regarding the effectiveness of remedies, as I've never actually had a hangover, ever.

I do drink too much on occasion, and during college the "occasion" was several times a week.

I developed a rather high tolerance during college, and I could (back then) get through a fifth a whiskey in a night if I was in the mood, so I wasn't exactly a light drinker. The worst effect I'd get would be feeling thirsty and little tired the next morning. Drinking water took care of the thirst, and a cup of coffee took care of any tiredness.

So, why don't I get hangovers? Wish I knew, but I have no idea. So far, the most popular theory among my friends is this: "A hangover is mainly in the brain, so someone who doesn't have a brain wouldn't get a hangover." (Nice, aren't they? :lmao: )

I have a sure cure for hangover: I don't drink.

I used too- I've been clean & sober for 2 years. Before then, I never had a hangover. You get a hangover when you sobering up. I stayed too wasted to sober up.

If you expect to drink a lot and want to avoid an hangover, the best thing to do "before" is to put 2 spoons of oil in a strong coffe cup and drink it. It tastes awfull, but it works because the oil prevent the alcohol to reach the brain. (as James says : where is no brain, there is no hangover :P ) I tested it sevral times, with success.

Old Bob

I have a sure cure for hangover: I don't drink.

I used too- I've been clean & sober for 2 years. Before then, I never had a hangover. You get a hangover when you sobering up. I stayed too wasted to sober up.

I didn't quite do that (and I very rarely drink, these days).

Congratulations on the staying sober, James! That's a darn hard road to follow (I've helped friends get sober, so I've seen firsthand what a daily battle it is).

I have zero personal experience regarding the effectiveness of remedies, as I've never actually had a hangover, ever.

Same here, when I was in high school I used to frequently drink to the not being able to walk/passing out stage (and I don't want to hear about any of you teens doing that!!) and I've never had a hang over either.

In college I drank much less (I guess it had gotten old by then), but once I went to a party and got pretty drunk and then had to go to work early the next morning. So I only got about 2 or 3 hours of sleep tops, that's the worst I've ever felt, but it still wasn't too bad. I had a headache for a little while but it went away with my first meal.

Anyway if I had to guess I'd say it's because I drink SO MUCH water. I never eat or drink anything without drinking water and this includes alchohol. So if you see me with a beer, glass of wine, or margarita in one hand you can bet I've got a glass/bottle of water in the other. I also of course naturally would be drinking lots of water all day before consuming alchohol in the evening/night and I always have more water before bed and keep a glass by my bed (regardless of whether I've been drinking).....so basically I don't think my body has any idea what dehydration is like :P .

I don't really know about the electrolyte thing, but I take a multivitamin and 6 additional supplements everyday so I'm usually okay nutritionally.

I would never recommend painkillers before, after, or during a night spent drinking. I really don't think it's good for the liver...and mixing painkillers and alcohol is one of the things I'm most paranoid about. Actually I almost never take painkillers, maybe 5 or 6 A YEAR, and it's only if I'm sick in general and definitely won't be drinking :P

If you expect to drink a lot and want to avoid an hangover, the best thing to do "before" is to put 2 spoons of oil in a strong coffe cup and drink it. It tastes awfull, but it works because the oil prevent the alcohol to reach the brain. (as James says : where is no brain, there is no hangover :P ) I tested it sevral times, with success.

Old Bob

I would think that would make getting drunk more difficult too if the alcohol doesn't reach the brain?

Anyway take care everyone, and drink responsibly or not at all!

Kevin

Water, Water, Water.

And there's this bread thing. They say you eat bread, but they also say it goes either way. Either your hang over goes away, or you get really really sick. Oh wait, i think that's when you're drunk. hmm i dunno. :wacko:

Water, water, water.

Lots and lots of water.

ok, so you guys might not know, but I enjoy a drink on occasion, just one or two though 0:) So I was wondering if any of you have any hangover cures that actually work...obviously as I only like one or two drinks I don't really get hungover *ahem* so...it's really just out of curiosity... 0:)0:)0:)