Writing Music

• Site Administrator

I was sitting here chatting with Taima about music and writing and it occured to me that we haven't discussed this yet publicly.

I have a select group of music I listen to when I write that puts me in a writing kind of mood.

It's very rare that I listen to music with words. I tend to listen to sound tracks from movies as I write. My newest additions are the music from Pirates of the Caribbean (excellent) and Peter Pan (one good theme piece, the rest doesn't stand out)

My favorites in music to listen to generally fall into brassy music. On my current list are John Williams( Indiana Jones,Flight to NEverland from Hook, lots of stuff) , Hans Zimmer (Backdraft, Gladiator, The Rock) and an eclectic mix of things... like the themes from Back to the Future 1 and 3. an Irish peice from Leahy - B Minor. The Pirates of the Caribben soundtrack (excellent all the way through) . Music from Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. Spiderman main theme. Star Trek IV, other Trek themes. Trevor Rabin has an excellent rock-like mix with the brass for things like Titan's Spirit (from Remember the Titans) and the Armageddon soundtrack.

What do you listen to when you are writing?

The hum of the computer...

Once upon the time I used to play a lot of music, but in later years little.

I can't remember ever playing music when doing creative work though - writing or reading. I feel I need to concentrate on one or the other.

I have been known to play while doing chores (like washing up - not hoovering though :P ), or punching for my databases.

But usually, when I play music, I play music, period.

(And no, I do NOT play any instruments, just my trusty old turntable, or possibly a CD player.)

• Site Administrator

I rarely have time to listen to music for listening to music's sake. I just do too much to have the time.

• Site Administrator

lol :boy:

I've had a computer since I was 5. (might be why I'm so good with them).

I always turn music on when I'm doing things... except reading. I like concentrating on reading and immersing myself.

turntable?

antiqated just a little.

I like mood music myself when righting and depends on what mood I am trying to invoke int he stroy as to what peace I play, If I place a song with lirics I like the lirics to go someplace, a lot of modern music is just repeditive, so I listen to old rock known as clasical rock, and the OLD heavy mettle by the old time hair bands.

Don't Matalica have a new albem out or something? I will have to check into that.

Yes turntable. I bought most of my music before CD's were available, besides if you have a high quality turntable and take care of your records (I do, and I do), the the sound quality is better than with CD, especially with the first generations of CD's and CD players.

As far as I'm concerned, Metallica is a newbie; try go back to fairly early Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airship and Credence Clearwater Revival - that's music (though admittedly not very good while sitting concentrated in front of your monitor - the music can be disruptive :D ).

Or even classic Rock'nRoll - Bill Haley, early Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and possibly the greatest of them all, Chuck Berry.

Still sitting still in your chair? Then you've got no ear for music :P

I'v listend to a few of them, sadly I have to say I like most of Metallica work over the others, there is just something about it. perticuly Unforgiven...

But then it could just be me.

though I have listed to the other and I do like it Metallica where as it might be a newbie still stands formost in my mind.

try go back to fairly early Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airship and Credence Clearwater Revival

Now you are talking :)

tho i like newer groups tooo, like metallica, safri duo, nightwish...

and then there is the soundtrack fro "Lord of the dance", or Loreena McKennit's songs...

As for old electronic equipment, like turntables, niether i, nor my friends have one, but we do have a russin tape recorder and a bunch of old tapes

I love Enya. I also listen to Accoustic Alchemy when I write.

Lately, however, I more frequently log onto WQXR.com, the classical station in NYC or to the Baroque or Romantic Classical channels on Radio@netscape or I go to Windows Media Player and choose Choice Radio Classical or Smooth Jazz while I write.

• 1 year later...

I'm 18 and I used to be in anger managment. Music is key to my life I am always singing and humming I wrote a little bit way back but at the time I was goth so it's depressing and therefore not to be posted anywhere. Music let's your soul free and with out it I would probably still be in anger managment.

Oh God, umm....

Kasabian, Korn, Le Tigre, The Living Things, Loudermilk, Lucky Boys Confusion, Metric, N.E.R.D., Nada Surf, Nickelback, Ok Go, Overseer, Pacifier, Papa Roach, Paris Texas, Pixies, PJ Harvey, Powderfinger, Powerman 5000, The Presidents of the United States of America, The Prodigy, Queens of the Stone Age, The Raveonettes, Ryan Adams, Scissor Sisters, Shinedown, Slipknot, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, Steriogram, Sugarcult, Sweet, Tantric, Tegan and Sara, Theory of a Deadman, Thrice, Tomoyasu Hotei, Transplants, U2, Velvet Revolver, The Vines, Virgin Tears, The Von Bondies, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yellowcard, Caesars, The Cardigans, Collective Soul, The Crystal Method, The Dandy Warhols, The Donnas, Drist, Electric Six, The Faint, Flickerstick, Fountains of Wayne, The Frames, Goldfrapp, Green Day, Incubus, Interpol, and Jet

What can i say, it gets me in the right frame of mind :D

Guest sam_lakes

Well, I am currently writing a story (One Person at a Time) in which part of it will be sort of a Rock Opera - I've taken a number of songs that I like and they will be part of the story - My hope is that people will download the songs or they have them and will played them at the right points in the story which is what I do when I am writing the scene that involves the song and it's lyrics - of course I tend to get carried away and sing along too. LOL.

Sam

I like Jars of Clay, Third Day, DC Talk, Rich Mullins, Michael W. Smith. I also like old stuff like John Denver, Gorden Lightfoot, Moody Blues. And a lot of stuff from the 80's. Gensis, Madonna and the like.

I listen to music a lot. Even sleep with the radio on. I read, write, and play games to music. The only time I don't listen to music is when I am watching the TV.

And I agree with Patrick. Music is a key to my life.

I like musicmatch.com. They have great stations, and just an occasional blurb about music match (no more than 45 secs before they go back to the music).

Boy on a String

My iPod is my IV, and because of iTunes I haven't set foot in a CD store in years. Latey, I've been listening on my radio (I connect my iPod to it) this tune I heard on a Khalua ad. It's "Montserrat" by Orquestra Del Plata. I reccomend it highly to anyone into classical, jazz, etc. I like to visualize an art museum robbery to this song.

Just like you reapersharvest my iposd is a part of me. I just got it two weeks ago and I'm addicted. There is such a diverse collection of music on it people think I'm weird. From suzanne vega to jamiroquai to sade to ray charles.

I love music and I don't think I can be apart from it for more than a few minutes. By the way does anybody listen to Keane or The killers. I love their music.