Appeal: forced deportation, and separation of gay couple

Formosa

Just as some of us were praising the how progressive the Netherlands is in terms of the acceptance of ho-le-bis, the country suffered a terrible set back today.

I just got news that a gay man is apart to be forcibly deported out of the country and separated from his married partner of 8 years because he lost his right to stay in the country. The story is a little more complicated than that, but the bottom line is the government and courts place having proper papers and legal status to stay over and above the rights of two individuals to private and family life. For the full story, please go to my blog.

Here's a [translated] excerpt from the appeal letter:

The disrespect for the same-sex marriage appears to be overly obvious to us. It feels as if [the Ministry of] Justice does not recognise our marriage, and sees it as unworthy. This hurts, because I can assure you that our love is not less than the love of every other person, and our marriage is not less than that between a man and a woman.

I know these things probably happen all the time in many places without us knowing...but now that we know, we can do something to make a difference, even if it's only a small one.

If you can, please help by signing the petition. It's in Dutch, but it's not that difficult:

Under

"1. Steun de actie!" [support the appeal]

you see

"Uw naam" [Your name, fill in box]

and

"Uw email-adres" [Your email adress, fill in box]

David

Solidarity...

IUnder

"1. Steun de actie!" [support the appeal]

you see

"Uw naam" [Your name, fill in box]

and

"Uw email-adres" [Your email adress, fill in box]

David

Solidarity...

Hey David, I tried, but could mail it

anything was wrong

will try again later

Old bob

Haven't read the article yet, but just as a point of reference - this is also where a member of their Parliment, who had emigrated from Ethiopia, was also threatened with deportation because on her original documents, she misstated the reason for seeking asylum... A very popular politician and it raised a big furor - she resigned and decided not to fight and instead move to the US (or Canada?!?) and fight for women's rights there...

Haven't read the article yet, but just as a point of reference - this is also where a member of their Parliment, who had emigrated from Ethiopia, was also threatened with deportation because on her original documents, she misstated the reason for seeking asylum... A very popular politician and it raised a big furor - she resigned and decided not to fight and instead move to the US (or Canada?!?) and fight for women's rights there...

You're right about this lady. Her name is Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and was outspokenly critical of the way Muslim women are treated in Islamic cultures. According to Time she ranks as one of the top 100 most influential people of the century. Yeah, beacause some twisted asylum law and media frenzy she was basically chased out of the country this summer, and now working for the American Enterprise Institute in NYC.

It's true the Netherlands has been under a lot of bad press lately because of the way this country treats its immigrants and asylum seekers. All thanks to a lovely clique of self-proclaimed 'liberals' who form the government and a very hard-line, 'rules-are-rules' Minister of Immigration. Sometime ago the same minister said it was safe to deport homosexuals back to Iran--a country which hangs peoples for being gay!! Just yesterday it was revealed that an eight year old boy has been locked up and awaiting deportation for months because he and his mother were illegal in the country.

The case of this gay couple is just one of many in a line of inhumane cases in which having the right papers and complying to laws are raised above respect for basic human rights. Laws are supposed to serve people, not the other way around.

Hey David, I tried, but could mail it

anything was wrong

will try again later

Old bob

Yeah, Lugh is right...sign the petition on the site, not my blog!

There's now 291 signatures already within one day! Thanks for the support those of you who've signed it. I'm sure the couple appreciate every show of support they can get. Today an MP asked questions in Parliament about the issue, which captured some media attention... but it seems like the deportation order is sitll in place. :(