Meteor Shower

Yahoo News:

"The annual Leonid meteor shower could produce a strong outburst this weekend for residents of the North America and Western Europe."

"A brief surge of activity is expected begin around 11:45 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 18. In Europe, that corresponds to early Sunday morning, Nov. 19 at 4:45 GMT. The outburst could last up to two hours."

I have watched the last few and they were quite spectacular. If you are able to, you should step out and take a couple minutes to stair at the sky tomorrow night!

Yahoo News:

"The annual Leonid meteor shower could produce a strong outburst this weekend for residents of the North America and Western Europe."

"A brief surge of activity is expected begin around 11:45 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 18. In Europe, that corresponds to early Sunday morning, Nov. 19 at 4:45 GMT. The outburst could last up to two hours."

I have watched the last few and they were quite spectacular. If you are able to, you should step out and take a couple minutes to stair at the sky tomorrow night!

Absolutly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go to http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ and translate the time for your area. If you can, get away from city lights, but even if you can't the show should be spectacular. Let Leo Roar!!

to http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ and translate the time for your area. If you can, get away from city lights, but even if you can't the show should be spectacular. Let Leo Roar!!

This link is a Light Pollution Map of the world. If you are in a very Light Area, the further into the country side you need to go, or out to sea. Sometimes a high place will help.

It you can go, it should be a brillant display.

This link is a Light Pollution Map of the world. If you are in a very Light Area, the further into the country side you need to go, or out to sea. Sometimes a high place will help.

It you can go, it should be a brillant display.

Thank you for the light-pollution map!

I'm in one of the few black areas in the US, and at 7000ft, and I really notice that the night sky is "missing" whenever I go elsewhere.

However, my view may not be that great: the weather forcast calls for partly-cloudy that night. :angry:

Dang, I'm in a somewhat light-saturated area. I've noticed the difference between here and ND. Still, I got pretty decent viewings of the last few showers over the previous years, so I'll definitely try to remember to check this one out.

Anyone wanna come with and help "keep me warm"? :D

What made it really interesting was that while I was outside, I'd been imagining in my mind what a orbital space battle might look like from the surface of a planet.

Let's just say my imagination went into overdrive for a moment when I first saw the meteor...

Dang, I'm in a somewhat light-saturated area. I've noticed the difference between here and ND. Still, I got pretty decent viewings of the last few showers over the previous years, so I'll definitely try to remember to check this one out.

Anyone wanna come with and help "keep me warm"? :D

Gladly!

What made it really interesting was that while I was outside, I'd been imagining in my mind what a orbital space battle might look like from the surface of a planet.

Let's just say my imagination went into overdrive for a moment when I first saw the meteor...

Now thinking of that will give my mind something to ponder tomorrow night!

eeeeee!!!! I'll definitely watch out for it!!! *puts it on cell phone scheduler*

It should be quite a scene!

Poor Graeme... Come fly to Florida! We'll go sit by the ocean and watch the show!

Oooh! Fascinating...must stay/wake up to watch it on Sunday~ :great:

Seeing these heavenly phenomenon always makes me feel so small and somehow connected to it all...

Shame I live in one of the most light polluted places in the world. Hope I can see something!

Here is NASA's press release describing the Leonids meteor shower. It has a nice podcast that discusses the science and tells you where to look.

This is wiki's entry for Leo where this meteor shower usually occures. Leo is surrounded by Ursa Major, Leo Minor, Virgo, Cancer, Hydra and Sextans. Leo is fairly easy to spot because of the curl of the lion's head and Regulus is one of the brightest stars in the sky.

This is wiki's entry on the Leonids.

leo.gif

Leo: Regulus = alpha Leo. Chart courtesy of SEDS.org

Here is NASA's press release describing the Leonids meteor shower. It has a nice podcast that discusses the science and tells you where to look.

This is wiki's entry for Leo where this meteor shower usually occures. Leo is surrounded by Ursa Major, Leo Minor, Virgo, Cancer, Hydra and Sextans. Leo is fairly easy to spot because of the curl of the lion's head and Regulus is one of the brightest stars in the sky.

This is wiki's entry on the Leonids.

leo.gif

Leo: Regulus = alpha Leo. Chart courtesy of SEDS.org

WOW! Thank you for that! That's really cool!

I'm guessing that orange/red/white is really a bad place to try and see a meteor shower....

Red____________Bad

Brown

Yellow

Green

Blue

Black _________Good

Even in Red Areas where the light pollution is bad, it is still possible to find good areas.

For Example, in the worst area, the lowlands, there are some places which are very rural areas, in Zeeland, there are some very good places. In Seattle, Washington State, a couple of Miles on I-5 into the cascades. Extremely cold but a very good sky.

If you look at the night sky, and see more stars than normal, that is a good place.

It just takes time to find a good place. If you check your local astromers journal, you will find when there are shooting. They normally shoot over 8 to 10 days. see Jamessavik above

Edited by Red_A
Yahoo News:

Unfortunatly it is cloudy here in Maine this year but I did get to watch them last year... If you want to avoid light pollution I highly recommend crossing an ocean in a small boat. the nights were spectacular. I also got to watch a launch from Cape Canaveral a few years ago when I was about 40 miles off shore. But 27 days off shore gave me a nearly complete cycle of the moon to watch.. and lots of time to watch it all and read.. Hope others can see it. Here I am in a light rich area but can still get out in the country or a golf course and see the stars most nights. Pax Steve

Unfortunatly it is cloudy here in Maine this year but I did get to watch them last year... If you want to avoid light pollution I highly recommend crossing an ocean in a small boat. the nights were spectacular. I also got to watch a launch from Cape Canaveral a few years ago when I was about 40 miles off shore. But 27 days off shore gave me a nearly complete cycle of the moon to watch.. and lots of time to watch it all and read.. Hope others can see it. Here I am in a light rich area but can still get out in the country or a golf course and see the stars most nights. Pax Steve

I first saw them many years ago, on the mornong watch(4 to 8) on a 25 foot yacht, 50 miles into the North Sea. By God it was cold. But a beautiful sight. It did not have as good a sky as the West Coast of scotland, but it was a good display that year. Ever since, I have tried to see them again. But the weather normally intervenes.