Web Browsers

Kurt

Well, I use AOL, I always have. It has given me lots of problems, but there are some things that I like about AOL. I like that I can see my mail box, and see right when I get a new email. I also have all of my favorites on AOL, and it would take a while to move all of them. I also like how it is set up, like you have the windows inside of the one window.

I am looking for a new browser, and I was wondering what other people use, and what they like about that browser.

I have tried Fire Fox, and if I do not find anything better, I will probably just use that. I also have tried opera, and did not like it.

Thanks,

Kurt :D

Well, I use AOL, I always have. It has given me lots of problems, but there are some things that I like about AOL. I like that I can see my mail box, and see right when I get a new email. I also have all of my favorites on AOL, and it would take a while to move all of them. I also like how it is set up, like you have the windows inside of the one window.

I am looking for a new browser, and I was wondering what other people use, and what they like about that browser.

I have tried Fire Fox, and if I do not find anything better, I will probably just use that. I also have tried opera, and did not like it.

Thanks,

Kurt :D

I have tried Netscape (many years ago), Internet Explorer, Opera, "Crazy Browser" (very like Firefox), and Firefox itself. I've never used AOL - for the simple reason that I've never had the opportunity.

I admit that I like the feel of the latest Internet Explorer. However I dislike the fact that it is almost impossible to remove your browsing history if you use Internet Explorer. Not that I have anything to hide, I just don't like the idea that Microsoft actually logs my browsing history and makes it almost impossible for me to do anything about it. Have a look at Microsoft Has Hidden Files on Your Computer if you aren't sure what I'm talking about.

For this reason I now use Firefox for browsing.

Marty

Edited by Marty

I like the new Internet Explorer v7... it has many of the features people like of other browsers. I will give the disclaimer that professionally I have reasons for preferring IE (I work in computer security so I'll leave it at that).

I think it's a fallacy that there's a best browser as they all have advantages and disadvantages and you just have to decide what things you are expecting out of a browser and go with the one that meets most of them.

Steve

I use Safari, but than again, I work on a Mac. I also have Firefox, which I use from time to time.

Also, many browsers allow you to transfer your bookmarks/favorites from another program or computer, though the procedure for doing so will vary based on your operating system and browsers.

--Rigel

Safari is so cool! I've only used it on school computers though, don't personally have a mac. I use firefox and avant (used to use netscape but since they now collaborate with ff, there's no point in using it anymore). Avant is like IE but better ^_^ don't ask me how, it just is!

Speaking of bookmarks, if you have a lot of them and don't want to lose them, I suggest that you set yourself up an account on:

http://del.icio.us/

I use it to back up my bookmarks and could restore them if I had to rebuild my system.

You can also have a peek at other users bookmarks, IF THEY ARE SET TO PUBLIC, based on ratings, popularity and keywords. It's an easy way to discover new sites without googling through pages and pages of BS sites.

I just switched from IE7 to my Firefox and i love it! although you have to get the Fasterfox add on if you get ti. Makes the pages load quicker but it uses a lot of bandwidth on the site your on. I actually shut down a site for a few minutes because there were so many people on it lol. But hey, its whatever works for you really.

Ian

Edited by The Reaper

Boy, am I old-fashioned. I use Netscape 4.75, circa 2000. It gives me a slimmed-down presentation of Web pages that I like.

However, certain sites - such as the GA forum :) - don't show up well in it, at the type size I read. I was using IE6 for a while as my back-up browser, but the pages loaded slowly, and every time I looked at Google Tech News there was a new alert about a virus that attacks IE.

So I switched to Firefox this month, and I'm very happy. Unlike Microsoft, Mozilla will give me security updates for my browser, so I'm much less likely to be attacked by a virus. And the pages load lightning-quick in comparison to IE6.

• Site Administrator

Firefox 1.0.6 at home, Firefox 2.0 on my work laptop, and IE 6 on both. I also occasionally use Mozilla on Unix, but not often.

Firefox is definitely my browser of choice *gives love to Mozilla/FF teams* Using FF 1.5.8 at the moment, gonna wait a bit for them to do some revisions before I switch to 2.x since the early ones nearly alway still have some kinds of problesm :P

Technically I have IE6 laying around for when I have to use MS Update, but I almost never use it for anything else (save something like the rare page where someone improperly does the coding so that it works in IE's nonstandards setup and breaks in FF, but that's why we have the IETab extension haha). As I refuse to drop Win2K for WinXP I won't be switching to IE7 anytime soon (supposedly it's possible to force IE7 to work on Win2K but why would I want to? It'll just be even more broken :P ). Plus MS is the devil, pure and simple. Only using AOL would be worse *duck* Hehehe.

Seriously though, gotta love the Fox. It will import favorites etc from Internet Explorer, but I have no idea if it will for AOL since I don't have AOL on my computer. Of course, you could download it and try and see if it does, since it should not affect your AOL setup at all.

As for email, if you get AIM you can set it so that it will notify you of email on your AOL account so that would be taken care of as well.

I used IE6 for years, and still keep it current, but for most day to day stuff, I use Firefox 2.0. One caveat, though, FF has stability issues with Yahoo mail...for whatever reason, even when using an IE tab in Firefox, the program will terminate unexpectedly. This could have something to do with Yahoo optimizing their stuff for IE7...

Rick

I use IE7. I prefer IE7 because I go to sites that need ActiveX controls, and only IE seems to support them. I find IE7 faster than the latest version of Firefox.

I have the latest versions of Firefox and Opera, but only used them for web site compatibility testing when I was taking a web design class last year and for a web site for a local volunteer organization that I help.

Colin :boy:

I use Safari, but do check out my own pages with Firefox. I like it just fine, but like Safari a bit more.

I do hope folks will rush to dump IE 6. I created and/or maintain a few websites, mostly as a volunteer, and on occasion for cash. Some things that ought to be fairly easy to do will work fine in Safari, Firefox, and some of the less common browsers. But then you have to do the workarounds to get them to work in IE 6, or else at least make provisions for the site to degrade gracefully with 6. (IE5 on the PC is a whole 'nother story, a scary one at that. Fortunately, stats I see show almost no traffic from IE 5 users, so I ignore it now.)

IE 7 supposedly supports much more of the CSS standards, for example, and doesn't need the workarounds. Maybe by the time I get into another big web project, IE 6 will be a memory.

• 1 month later...
I use Safari, but do check out my own pages with Firefox. I like it just fine, but like Safari a bit more.

I do hope folks will rush to dump IE 6. I created and/or maintain a few websites, mostly as a volunteer, and on occasion for cash. Some things that ought to be fairly easy to do will work fine in Safari, Firefox, and some of the less common browsers. But then you have to do the workarounds to get them to work in IE 6, or else at least make provisions for the site to degrade gracefully with 6. (IE5 on the PC is a whole 'nother story, a scary one at that. Fortunately, stats I see show almost no traffic from IE 5 users, so I ignore it now.)

IE 7 supposedly supports much more of the CSS standards, for example, and doesn't need the workarounds. Maybe by the time I get into another big web project, IE 6 will be a memory.

if you want a new definition of pain, my boss decided recently we should all go ajaxy and web2.0ish on the company's internet presence. so i started programming. trying to support the official standards <b>and</b> ie6 almost killed me. i hope ie7 will be better, not that i'll ever touch it, but at least i won't have to jump through quite so many hoops.

btw, if anyone's interested. i'm working on another two chapters for my story 'die rettung'. there's not a release date set yet, but watch this space :)

howie

I used IE6 for years, and still keep it current, but for most day to day stuff, I use Firefox 2.0. One caveat, though, FF has stability issues with Yahoo mail...for whatever reason, even when using an IE tab in Firefox, the program will terminate unexpectedly. This could have something to do with Yahoo optimizing their stuff for IE7...

Rick

hmmm...

I haven't had any issues with yahoo mail on firefox, which is what I use now.

I did use IE7 for a while, and liked it for the mere fact that it supported the Yahoo Toolbar and I'm not sure that firefox does that. But anyways, I just have to go to Yahoo every so often to check my email, no big deal. I haven't had any problems with it. But I still give Firefox two thumbs up :2thumbs:

I like the new Internet Explorer v7... it has many of the features people like of other browsers. I will give the disclaimer that professionally I have reasons for preferring IE (I work in computer security so I'll leave it at that).

I think it's a fallacy that there's a best browser as they all have advantages and disadvantages and you just have to decide what things you are expecting out of a browser and go with the one that meets most of them.

Steve

I also prefer IE7. I have the latest Firefox, but on my PC IE7 is faster loading pages, I like the way tabs work better, and I go to a lot of web sites that have ActiveX controls that Firefox won't display correctly.

if you want a new definition of pain, my boss decided recently we should all go ajaxy and web2.0ish on the company's internet presence. so i started programming. trying to support the official standards and ie6 almost killed me.

html {
overflow: hidden;
}
<style type="text/css">
ul.button li {
display:inline;
}

* html ul.button a {
height: 1px;
}

#container {
		width: 714px;
		w\idth: 715px;

}
</style>

body {
height: 100%;
width: 100%;
overflow: auto;
}

All very intuitive stuff.

hum....

I'm running FF 2.0 and that's all I use when surfing. There are a few reasons to have IE installed (basically because it comes with and can not be uninstalled (microsoft virus anyone?)) Mostly for comparison purposes when coding. I also have Opera installed but I don't care for it too much. Oddly people keep telling me that IE won the browser wars... but I don't quite see it that way.

For some people, browsers are like religion. I don't much care, I use what I like no matter where it comes from. That's one of the great things about computing right now, there are lots of choices. We don't have to use what most other people use, or we can use what most people use, or all of the above. :great: