[Jack Scribe] Domes & Teapots - Chapter 18: Final

An excellent job with this story. :great:

Looking forward to more from you soon!

Thanks E and CJ. As you are both aware, I've finished my entry for the Fairy Tale Anthology. A new story, Life's a Grind, should be ready to roll out in a couple of months. :read:

I plan on having the guys from Domes and Teapots re-surface in another story in the spring.

Jack B)

That's one of the things I like about your storys. You have characters for previous stories appear in new stories without it really being a continuation. We don't have to learn the history of those characters (unless the reader hasn't read that story before) because we already know them. :2thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing more stories in the future. ~e

Politics, after all, is the art of the possible.

Did you notice that in New Orleans' congressional runoff election this past weekend, Rep. Jefferson - the corrupt c**ks**ker who had $90,000 hidden in his home freezer and is under federal investigation - won the election? :sheep: He and the NOLa mayor should write a book on the art of winning elections.

And the beat goes on.

Jack B)

Did you notice that in New Orleans' congressional runoff election this past weekend, Rep. Jefferson - the corrupt c**ks**ker who had $90,000 hidden in his home freezer and is under federal investigation - won the election? :sheep: He and the NOLa mayor should write a book on the art of winning elections.

And the beat goes on.

Jack B)

The article I saw on it talked about the deep roots of tradition and that even if the guy died, he'd have been re-elected!

What's that song lyric? there is none so blind as he who will not see

And the beat goes on.

Jack B)

Hi Jack!

That would be the honorable <cough, gag, sputter!) William Jefferson, who also abused his power to get the national guard to airlift his belongings out after Katrina (Hmmm, I wonder if a freezer was amongst them?) which interfered with rescue operations.

This is, however, consistent. Pelosi tried to install Murtha as majority leader, the same Murtha of Abscam fame, the notorious "unindicted co-conspirator". Polosi also made noise about installing an impeached (and removed) federal judge turned congressman as chairman of the Intel committee (gee, install someone with a penchant for taking bribes to be in charge of the nation's most sensitive information).

Hmmm, I think I might blog about this very soon.

The article I saw on it talked about the deep roots of tradition and that even if the guy died, he'd have been re-elected!

I think DK's tagline applies: we get the government we deserve. And clearly, the voters of the benighted district (a majority of them, at least) deserve the worst possible, of anything.

And then the Congressional Ethics Committee concludes on the Foley investigation that the members/staff were "willfully ignorant" of Foley's conduct with the pages. Further, it appears that Hassert and two of his staff may have lied to the committee.

"Willfully ignorant?" This falls into the category of Clinton's question about what "is" is.

The dirty little secret is that neither party wants to be too aggressive on this committee. And Pelosi is going to nominate a congresswoman from Ohio to head the Ethics Committee who has been investigated for using more private travel than ANYONE in Congress.

Jefferson, BTW, accused his opponant as being too liberal (and very gay-friendly) during the runoff campaign .

...we get the government we deserve.

From the morning news:

Incoming House Intelligence Chief Botches Easy Intel Quiz

Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Shiites as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Jack

From the morning news:

Incoming House Intelligence Chief Botches Easy Intel Quiz

Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Shiites as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Jack

Personally, I can only see one explanation: Pelosi is working for Karl Rove! (OK, I'm being sarcastic). But, could she have possibly done more to help Republicans than she has done since the election?

That intel-committee chair is, at least, slightly better than the impeached scumbag she was considering, but that isn't saying much!

Reyes claimed that Al Quaeda was mainly Shia, and when I saw that I nearly choked. The vast majority of it is Sunni. There is, contrary to most media reports, indeed co-operation between Al Quaeda and Shia groups, even a few joint operations such as Kobar towers, and Iran (which is Shia) has been exceedingly accommodating to Al Quaeda. However, it is overwhelmingly Sunni, and also overwhelmingly (to a lesser degree) Wahabbist.

This is so incredibly basic that it clearly indicates that Reyes has no business being on the intel committee, let alone chairing it!

I'd also like to know why, exactly, that it fell to a reporter to ask the nominee such a basic question? It should have been asked (along with many others) during the vetting process, though I doubt they even had one. :angry:

As 43 ponders our new/revised strategy for Iraq, I find it tragically and cynically amusing that the neocon brain trust - Perle, Wolfowitz, et al, were busying themselves criticizing the execution of the war effort before crawling back under their rock. How they thought we had a chance of turning over 1500 years of violent history into a Kum-Bi-Ya democracy is beyond me.

But we're there and watching Ms. Pelosi being interviewed by Barbara Walters last night, saying that she was concerned that the troops still hadn't started the exit Iraq made me conclude that she is missing the point. That point is - in my opinion - is that if we don't correct this mess (and forget pointing fingers) the whole Middle East may implode with Iran and Syria (plus Russia) calling the shots. I won't even list the implications of these consequences.

Somehow I think we've been ignoring a very positive piece of the puzzle: Kurd Iran: http://www.theotheriraq.com/. Perhaps we should be in the new nation-building business before our troops depart...and hopefully with an exit strategy that is more than a bandaid for the Sunni and Shiite population/government. I agree, however, that we can only prop up the Iraq Army to a point.

I respectfully disagree that this is a civil war. In my opinion, it's full-blown criminal, immoral terrorism to promote exteme Islamic philosophies.

On the local front, Ms. Pelosi said that one of her biggest jobs, after the new Congress convenes, will be to "drain the swamp" of corruption in Washington." I skeptically applaud this but hope it's just not another politician spouting platitudes. Her proposed appointments suggest that she doesn't get the picture.

Jack

P.S. Here is what my good friend and fellow author, Terry Audette, has as a solution to the war:

Once again I have the solution to the world's problems. I can see that little smile...you're not surprised are you? Been just waiting for me to tell you? Okay, okay, the applause is deafening!

It's this; we have the Iraqi people vote on whether we should stay or go! Brilliant...I know! Naturally they'll vote for us to not let the swinging door hit us in the ass on the way out and we'll be free to go. What if they vote for us to stay? You little Machieavelli you! Then we've got a mandate! We could do...........well...anything! Think of it! Disneyworld Southeast! Hamburger University of the Desert! Ah, ah.......The Young and the Veiled! The possibilities are truly endless!

As 43 ponders our new/revised strategy for Iraq, I find it tragically and cynically amusing that the neocon brain trust - Perle, Wolfowitz, et al, were busying themselves criticizing the execution of the war effort before crawling back under their rock. How they thought we had a chance of turning over 1500 years of violent history into a Kum-Bi-Ya democracy is beyond me.

But we're there and watching Ms. Pelosi being interviewed by Barbara Walters last night, saying that she was concerned that the troops still hadn't started the exit Iraq made me conclude that she is missing the point. That point is - in my opinion - is that if we don't correct this mess (and forget pointing fingers) the whole Middle East may implode with Iran and Syria (plus Russia) calling the shots. I won't even list the implications of these consequences.

Somehow I think we've been ignoring a very positive piece of the puzzle: Kurd Iran: http://www.theotheriraq.com/. Perhaps we should be in the new nation-building business before our troops depart...and hopefully with an exit strategy that is more than a bandaid for the Sunni and Shiite population/government. I agree, however, that we can only prop up the Iraq Army to a point.

I respectfully disagree that this is a civil war. In my opinion, it's full-blown criminal, immoral terrorism to promote exteme Islamic philosophies.

On the local front, Ms. Pelosi said that one of her biggest jobs, after the new Congress convenes, will be to "drain the swamp" of corruption in Washington." I skeptically applaud this but hope it's just not another politician spouting platitudes. Her proposed appointments suggest that she doesn't get the picture.

Hi Jack!

I agree with you on a great deal here.

Nancy Pelosi, it appears, doesn't get a great many things (the importance of ethics, or the importance of putting someone who has some actual knowledge in as chair of the Intel committee), so it is sadly no surprise that she seems equally clueless on Iraq.

The simple fact is that we are there, and if we cut and run, Iraq will be left with areas that are best described as Afghanistan writ large: Ideal grounds for terrorists. Even more importantly, we will have proven ourselvs spineless, without resolve, and that is the twin of weakness. We will truly become the "paper tiger" of the international stage.

So, common sense alone dictates that we cannot cut and run.

However, the present policy seems, clearly, to be not working. I'm disgusted with BOTH parties regarding Iraq.

The Baker report does ID some of the major problems, especially the dynamics driving the "insurgency", which is almost entirely Sunni (I said the same thing over two years ago, but I digress...). The big problem is that IMHO the Baker report takes the right data and draws the wrong conclusions. Their answer to the Sunni issue? Basically, more of the same. They also stress that the US must redouble its efforts to prevent a civil war. They never bother with the question of "why?"

The Sunnis have been the heart of the "insurgency", and it has widespread public support amongst them. They have tried hard to provoke a civil war. They comprise about 10% of the Iraqi population, with the rest being mainly Shia and Kurds, both of whom were victims of genocide at the hands of Saddam's Sunni regime. The fact that the Sunnis seek civil war is patently nuts, but none the less true.

My opinion? When something isn't working, try something else: Let the Sunni and the Shia have their civil war. We are the only thing stopping it, so we could begin it be merely withdrawing forces from certain regions of Iraq, and no longer stopping Shia forces from heading for Sunni areas. From our strategic point of view it would be very beneficial: It would eliminate the Sunni threat, as well as both weaken and satiate the Shia anger (Shias have been the primary targets of the violence so far) and might well trigger an "Islamic civil war" between the Sunni and Shia segments of Islam (as the Sunni states have indicated that they wouldn't stand by while their fellow Sunni are destroyed) throughout the middle east (also beneficial for us, if played correctly).

The problem I have with US policy in general is that it is so undynamic, and slow to take advantage of opertunities. One of the basics of war is that if things aren't going your way, and you have the opportunity to change the dynamics of the situation, you do so. We have, to our peril, ignored this for too long.

Is this bloodthirsty? Indeed. However, so are our enemies, and I've always opposed the "take the high road" approach to war, for I feel that in war, there is one, and only one, goal: winning. Also, taking the high road gives your enemies on the low road a perfect vantage point from which to shoot you in the ass.

Thanks for participating - and lurking :P - in this posting and reading my stuff. A special bow to KnotMe for the enthusiastic review of Domes and Teapots in the December GAzette. BTW, where has he gone?

As Sharon not so delicately pointed out in another forum, there is an prominence of fare based on vampires, fantasy, sci-fi, etc. The reason is that these themes are what the majority of readers at GA seem to want. This is not a complaint...just a reality. A recent poll showing that 82% of the American population couldn't tell you the name of Iraq's Prime Minister was not a surprise...and neither was the tepid reaction to this politically-themed story about guys in suits.

For the readers who are more into adult tales, bookmark my story page: I continue to scribe. 0:) My Fairy Tale Retold Anthology short story has been submitted and a new novel was just started.

"However, the protagonist in Life's a Grind is a teen," Jack said as he bit his tongue and grinned.

Looking forward to a productive, fun and successful 2007. Happy holidays and a Merry Christmas.

Jack B)

Thanks for participating - and lurking :P - in this posting and reading my stuff. A special bow to KnotMe for the enthusiastic review of Domes and Teapots in the December GAzette. BTW, where has he gone?

As Sharon not so delicately pointed out in another forum, there is an prominence of fare based on vampires, fantasy, sci-fi, etc. The reason is that these themes are what the majority of readers at GA seem to want. This is not a complaint...just a reality. A recent poll showing that 82% of the American population couldn't tell you the name of Iraq's Prime Minister was not a surprise...and neither was the tepid reaction to this politically-themed story about guys in suits.

I have trouble remembering the spelling of the Iraqi PM's name, (Malakai?). What concerns me more, though, is how few, even in government, know that the "governing coalition" which he heads includes the likes of Al Sadr. Al Sadr's group was key to putting Malakai in power. Then, we express surprise that Malakai isn't "reigning in" al Sadr, and is often acting to protect him.

"However, the protagonist in Life's a Grind is a teen," Jack said as he bit his tongue and grinned.

I'm really looking forward to "Life's a Grind"!

However, to really cover all your bases, you could make the protagonist a teen who also is a vampire by night, and pilots UFO's by day? 0:)

Seriously though, "Life's a Grind" sounds very interesting! That title alone intrigues me. :2thumbs: