[DomLuka] well, there's something i don't get about chapter 14

ATTENTION: don't read this until you finished reading TOSOM (The Other Side Of Me) - i'll post some content and questions about the last three chapters here.

So... first: this a great story, i liked it very much. I read it all at once during the last days of 2006 after Dom had announced that he finished it (anticipation would have killed me if i'd have had to wait weeks and months between the chapters).

But there is something i truly don't understand and therefore strikes me as somewhat... unreal... which i can easily forgive, but am not used to in Doms Stories. So, maybe you guys could help out and try to explain it to me, i guess i just missed something.

In the beginning of chapter 14 Brian had Sam, Frank and Oliver kidnapped. Frank and David were the last ones to arrive at the house (before they were brought to the boat). Frank had just recently freed David from his horrible prison. While Brian kidnapped Frank too, David was able to slip onto the boat undiscovered. Frank and Oliver tried to escape but failed, because David chose to show up and interfere (all this in chapter 13).

Sooo... what i really really do not understand is, why in chapter 14 David would stand by the side of his father after that. I mean, that man tortured and mistreated him all his life - he just had nine days to remember all of it. And what seemed even more wrong to me is that Brian (his father) would even let him do that and give him a gun. He despised and hated David all through the story, beat him up, imprisoned him... why would he trust him now to help him kidnapp and murder(?) his own beloved brother, the friend of his brother and the father of his friends brother? I can't imagine Brian to do that, i mean, there is just no trust between the two of them from neither side. And there they are now, standing together as if they were the best of allies all along?

Okay, as i said, i liked the whole story, it was different, but as excellent as all the other DomLuka stories :worship: .

Please help me understand that questioned part, you will make my day!

For me, Brian was sick and twisted, but also a constant manipulator. It was pointed out (I think by Frank) - that Brian never despised David, he just kept emphasising that David was bad. Brian ultimately wanted David to be a Brian, Jr. The total mind-f*ck of lets hurry and bury your brother next to your mother - Brian is (to his own thoughts) keeping David off balance and committed to him. All of Brian's conditioning of David was geared towards there is no one else - you have to take care of yourself ONLY - and the 9 days of being captive turned David even against Oliver.

I'm not sure if the realization that it was his mom that dropped Oliver, and that Brian never knew might have also factored into it - ie, any hatred toward Brian was channelled instead to his mom, since Brian based his behavior on Mary's lies.

For me, Brian was sick and twisted, but also a constant manipulator. It was pointed out (I think by Frank) - that Brian never despised David, he just kept emphasising that David was bad. Brian ultimately wanted David to be a Brian, Jr. The total mind-f*ck of lets hurry and bury your brother next to your mother - Brian is (to his own thoughts) keeping David off balance and committed to him. All of Brian's conditioning of David was geared towards there is no one else - you have to take care of yourself ONLY - and the 9 days of being captive turned David even against Oliver.

I'm not sure if the realization that it was his mom that dropped Oliver, and that Brian never knew might have also factored into it - ie, any hatred toward Brian was channelled instead to his mom, since Brian based his behavior on Mary's lies.

Works for me.

Sharon

Basically they're both nuts, and David was just crazy enough to make his dad think that he was still the son looking for his acceptance until he had his opening....well, maybe he was having a little fun with the whole thing too....either way it made perfect sense to me :) I can't wait for tomorrows release of the latest chapter of WT

Personally, and I don't know if this is wishful thinking or not, I think David was acting all along he wanted his father to believe he was on his side, he wanted his father to trust him enough to give him a gun. So he played the part. The evil son his father always wanted him to be. He'd lived with the guy 17 years and knew what he had to do to make his father beleive he was on his side. I don't believe for one minute that David had any intention of hurting Oliver or Frank. I believe he was acting the way he was to save them. Had Frank or Oliver jumped overboard when they first intended to Brian could have easily shot them, I believe that's why David stopped them. I also believe that when David was telling Frank that he had to take control he was trying to tell him that he wasn't listening to his father, that he was making it so he'd be in control, that it would be okay. David was known to be a bit cryptic what with the 'look deeper' statement he had made. I don't believe David's evil at all. I think his morals are basically good. But he doesn't know what he wasn't taught.

Perhaps David wanted Frank to kill Sam, before he killed Brian. At least, he might have reckoned that there was a chance that Frank, put into a similar situation, would finally understand him. I think that he wanted to take Frank to be taken to the limits.

Thanks for your answers, but i'm still not convinced.

Okay, Brian wanted David to be a Brian, Jr., i agree. But Brian also knew that David and Oliver were close, he couldn't seriously have thought that he could turn David against Oliver... especially not to murder him. Brian also knew that he did a lot of ugly things to David and therefore David would most probably not be in a hurry to stand by his side. He didn't even knew that David remembered/imagined/believed Mary to be the one and only source of all his bad life.

But I guess my biggest problem is the motivation of David. I get it that he wasn't able to trust anyone anymore. But that doesn't mean he has to turn against Frank, who just saved his life. Or Franks dad, whom he didn't even knew. Or Oliver, his brother and one and only ally his whole life (who made that sad mistake not to free David though, but still...)

Personally, and I don't know if this is wishful thinking or not, I think David was acting all along he wanted his father to believe he was on his side, he wanted his father to trust him enough to give him a gun. So he played the part. The evil son his father always wanted him to be. He'd lived with the guy 17 years and knew what he had to do to make his father beleive he was on his side. I don't believe for one minute that David had any intention of hurting Oliver or Frank. I believe he was acting the way he was to save them. Had Frank or Oliver jumped overboard when they first intended to Brian could have easily shot them, I believe that's why David stopped them. I also believe that when David was telling Frank that he had to take control he was trying to tell him that he wasn't listening to his father, that he was making it so he'd be in control, that it would be okay. David was known to be a bit cryptic what with the 'look deeper' statement he had made. I don't believe David's evil at all. I think his morals are basically good. But he doesn't know what he wasn't taught.

Yes, i liked to think that too: David was acting all along to make his father believe he was on his side and then rescue the others. But i stopped thinking that when there was this scene where Oliver got the gun from Brian (who wanted him to shoot his own father), and when Sam took the gun from Frank, it was David who helped Brian to get it back. So this theory collapsed after that... why would David have done this if his goal was to rescue the others?

Perhaps David wanted Frank to kill Sam, before he killed Brian. At least, he might have reckoned that there was a chance that Frank, put into a similar situation, would finally understand him. I think that he wanted to take Frank to be taken to the limits.

That sounds good. But David could have never known that this situation would even occur when he started "playing along" with his father. And after Frank did not kill Sam when he had the chance - why would David still help Brian to get the gun back?

I admit - english is not my native language - and since noone else seems to have difficulties with this part, i guess i just have to reread the whole story - would do it anyway :)

But David could have never known that this situation would even occur when he started "playing along" with his father. And after Frank did not kill Sam when he had the chance - why would David still help Brian to get the gun back?

I think that David hinted to David that he knew what Brian was planning to do with Frank and Sam: