Talking Internet Ads

Drewbie

I've been on this recently, and this talking ad comes on (about a arm muscle machine) , does these annoy you?

Yup Yup,

Though any unwanted sound tends to annoy me, including embeded midi's on web pages. I usualy keep my pc's on mute for that reason. LOL one of these days I should just unplug the speakers. ( A little harder to do with the laptop.)

Steve

Yes... that sort of thing severely ignores me and speaks to the quality of sites that use a lot of them. The ads should be visible, but not in your face (pop-up or worse, pop-out ads you have to hunt for the close buttons on) nor should sound be involved. Sound-based ads on websites just annoy people. I make it a point not to buy a thing from any sound based or pop-out ad. Also bad are those ads where you click on a link, then you have to watch the ad for however long before you get to the site you were actually trying to get to. Last, though not as obvious, most the ads here on GA are just fine... but sometimes they can be easily mistaken as an actual site link rather than an ad which can be confusing.

As sites go, GA is probably one of the best when it comes to location and quality of the ads... a little tweak here or there might be nice but I haven't seen anything significant enough to raise a stink about... of course my comp is also usually on mute so I haven't heard the ad you're talking about Drew.

It's on fictionpress.com some new muscle machine, I've been to other sites where they just have a quick speech or same kind that a error on the computer makes. Now at times I put it on mute.

Edited by Drewbie

I find moving or sound adds annoying. I set my broswer to be unable to display moving GIF's or vids, and I stripped Flash out of it a long time ago, and I also block the more annoying add servers with my hosts file.

On ff you can block some by using options, go under load images automatically and hit exceptions block the site that is desired.

I have to look on ie too, I believe you can do it on ie too.

Edited by Drewbie

• 4 weeks later...