Attention AOL and Netscape Email Users!

• Site Administrator

Attention to all users that use AOL or Netscape for email!

AOL has banned all email from Gay Authors.org. This includes their Netscape products.

In the terms of agreement for using Gay Authors, you must have a valid and working email account. If you have an AOL or Netscape account, it does not count as being valid or working.

Please update your email account immediately with one that works. I suggest Yahoo or Hotmail as too free sources for email accounts. I also read that Google will be jumping into the free email game soon. There are numerous others.

Imagine my surprise to open up this topic! I suppose that what surprised me is that AOL, which has been engaged in various forms of censorship in times past, had taken so long to get to something of this nature. Paypal has recently engaged in some censorship recently, so AOL might feel that it can safely follow Paypal's lead in these matters.

I've written to AOL asking why they have done this. I am considering posting their rationale here, assuming that they have one. I don't really expect too detailed a reply, if any at all. In fact it may not matter what they say, since I've been considering other ISP options rather seriously lately. BTW the email address at which I can be reached has been changed from an AOL one to an Earthlink one. Hopefully, that email will be safe for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...

About all I got back from AOL in answer to my inquiry was a list of programs that AOL offers to stop SPAM. No explanation as to why they'd done what they did. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :angry:

Hey guys, AOL is a big company interested in making money and not a lot else. If it thinks that the attitude it has taken will increase its market share, it will stick to it. If it reckons that the market wants more liberal ISPs then it will jump that way. No way are they bothered about the feelings of minority groups.

I personally thing that their attitudes will be successful in increasing their slice of the action. Many parents of youngsters still feel that any alternative sexual preference is a potential threat. those parents will flood to an ISP who will shield their kiddywinks from such percieved evils.

It is still society that isn't quite ready for us, but don't be discouraged. We have made great leaps, its just that we won't change attitudes over night, its a very long job. This change in attitudes since the 1950s is the start but it will take generations to get it right, not decades.

Move society and AOL will follow, it will never lead. thats not its job.

Hugs to all.

Maurice