Pen Name/User Name Choice

Hello, Hi. 

I have been a silent reader for a few months now, and I have just stuck my baby toe out into the world of "topics" and "making comments". I plan on adding my own stories in time. I'm just working on understanding fully the process of doing so (and finding the courage to take that step).

As a silent reader I have been  wondering how everyone, or anyone went about choosing their user name/pen name here. 

I currently don't feel like mine is the right choice for me but I don't want to keep changing it. 

I would be really interested in any one who is willing to share their process with me.

If it was easy, if it was hard. If there was meaning behind it, or maybe no meaning at all. 

I am curious and hoping that once I get some what of an idea it might help push me more in the direction of submitting something.

Thanks in advance for those who take the time to share.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Hey, Quilah. I happen to like your user name. It sounds like a writer's name to me. :)  Mine, I attribute to my passion of riding, training, and showing horses, something I did for decades. I wanted something that paid homage to that. And, since I have a collection of headstalls (western bridles), and one was hanging by my desk at the time I needed a user name, I chose Headstall. It was as simple as that. Cheers! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Quilah-

Whatever you do, use a pseudonym.

Noun: pseudonym soo-d(u)nim

1. A fictitious name used when the person performs a particular social role

Synonyms:

anonym, nom de guerre

Pick one and stick with it. If it's different every few months, it's difficult to establish a fan base, and that's important. Having people who will read what you post as soon as they see it is great. You get feedback and don't have to wait until people find your stories accidentally. The feedback might not be what you want to hear, but it is probably things you need to hear.

My second piece of advice is to make sure nothing about your pseudonym links back to you. There are some first class nut cases on the internet. You never know when a story is going to get on one of these crazies last, febrile nerve. Have the email address associated to your pseudonym as far removed from your person as possible.

My writing tends to stomp all over some people's ideas of conventionality. I grew up reading guys like Niven and Heinlein and thought that is what writers were supposed to do. In the past, that is what readers expected. Things have changed. Readers want writers who reinforce their own opinions and philosophies, and get pissed off when you don't.

If you think as everyone else, believe as everyone else, care about what everyone else cares about, you are perfectly fine. You are boring as hell, and I can't imagine what you would write about, but no one will email you death threats, religious diatribes or psychotic ramblings.

If you think for yourself, have a sense of identity, and ideas and ideals of your own, and the courage to express them, then strap it on tight. You are much more interesting than the majority of people, and you're in for a wild ride.

Before you jump on the Internet stage, do some research on how to be as anonymous as possible.

Aside from that, to crib a line from Bruce Willis, welcome to the party, pal!

willis-party.png

• Love 5
21 hours ago, JamesSavik said:

Quilah-

Whatever you do, use a pseudonym.

Noun: pseudonym soo-d(u)nim

1. A fictitious name used when the person performs a particular social role

Synonyms:

anonym, nom de guerre

Pick one and stick with it. If it's different every few months, it's difficult to establish a fan base, and that's important. Having people who will read what you post as soon as they see it is great. You get feedback and don't have to wait until people find your stories accidentally. The feedback might not be what you want to hear, but it is probably things you need to hear.

My second piece of advice is to make sure nothing about your pseudonym links back to you. There are some first class nut cases on the internet. You never know when a story is going to get on one of these crazies last, febrile nerve. Have the email address associated to your pseudonym as far removed from your person as possible.

My writing tends to stomp all over some people's ideas of conventionality. I grew up reading guys like Niven and Heinlein and thought that is what writers were supposed to do. In the past, that is what readers expected. Things have changed. Readers want writers who reinforce their own opinions and philosophies, and get pissed off when you don't.

If you think as everyone else, believe as everyone else, care about what everyone else cares about, you are perfectly fine. You are boring as hell, and I can't imagine what you would write about, but no one will email you death threats, religious diatribes or psychotic ramblings.

If you think for yourself, have a sense of identity, and ideas and ideals of your own, and the courage to express them, then strap it on tight. You are much more interesting than the majority of people, and you're in for a wild ride.

Before you jump on the Internet stage, do some research on how to be as anonymous as possible.

Aside from that, to crib a line from Bruce Willis, welcome to the party, pal!

willis-party.png

Thanks for the advice, and insight. These are definitely things I will keep in the back of my mind. 

• Like 4