Books With Gay Characters

• Site Administrator

Hey, Please post the title and author of books with gay characters.

I have a list myself that I'm working on, but I'd like to put together a links page a book referral for Amazon.

Thoughts?

• Site Administrator

The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey (Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price)

The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling (Luck in the Shadows, Stalking Darkness, Traitor's Moon)

Dream Boy: A Novel by Jim Grimsley

Kirith Kirin by Jim Grimsley

all books by Mark Roeder

• 1 month later...
Guest richardb

Book of Skulls, by Robert Silverburg has a gay main character, and explores several gay themes.

Forever War, by Joe Haldeman features a future when gay is the (nearly) universal orientation.

Getting Free, by Richard Busby has two short stories involving gay characters.

There is a gay marriage in Julian May's Galactic Milieau (Jack the Bodiless, Diamond Mask, Magnificat).

David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series includes all manner of sexualities, including at least one gay couple (Book 7 - Days of Bitter Strength).

The Loti in Margaret Weis' Mag Force 7 books (Knight's of the Black Earth, Robot Blues, Hung Out) is very camp. Refers to past boyfriends and masters & slaves :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Cool! thanks for sharing guys!

I know there is more out there. Anyone else willing to post some?

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a triolgy by David Gerrold called

1 Jumping Off The Planet in which there is a gay encounter with the lead 13 yo character and another 13 yo boy.

2 Bouncing Off The Moon

3 Leaping To The Stars

David Gerrold is also the author of The Martian Child that I recommened over at GD.

--------------------------------------------

Crowstone-The Chronicles Of Qumar- A Sword and Sorcery Boylove Tale by Hakim

This was put out by Coltsfoot Press which no longer exists, so you might have check ebay or Amazon private sellers. You can also try Ariel Pages website. But if you can get a copy you won't be disappointed.

---------------------------------------------

Dance Of The Warriors-by Kevin Esser

The middle of the 21st Century. Medevil Christian militarism has reduced America to a dispirited province of failing crops and decaying cities. Gays and Boylovers are packed off to the Camps in Utah, never to return. The only rebels are 'vags', young male members of a warrior cult living in such wastelands as the abondoned reaches of North Chicago.

This is the ultimately uplifting odessey of two boys, 13 year old Teddy and his great Chicano friend Cisco, who must fight their way though epic battles toward freedom.

--------------------------------------------

Starcross by Scott Altman

On his 15th birthday, Richie makes love for the first time in his life in the north woods; unforunantely his beloved is straight. But that doesn't stop him from exploring the outer boundaries of his nature which bind him ever more closely with younger boys. There is Ian, poor little rich kid, already at puberty bent on tearing the world apart. There is Cricket, at 14 slow to mature but fast on skis. And there is Bruce, dock orphan who has learned to distrust the touch of all men. Starcross is a serious examination of a restless soul who puts honesty, love and adventure above all else.

-------------------------------------------

I have some more books, but I'll have to dig them out of where ever I put them.

:read: Dwayne

Explosion - I.L. Engles

384 pages

The ultimate bomb is dropped and humanity exterminated --- except for a mixed group of black and white schoolboys hiding deep in an african cave.

This is the tale of how these boys survive for three long years, at first with a herd of goats in endless caverns, and then on a sun-blasted mountainside where all other animals seem to have perished. It is the story of the boys' friendships and loves -- and the ways the elect to govern themselves and their burgeoning sexuality.

Bernard, as oldest, is their Prefect, a position which sits awkwardly on his honest but conventional shoulders; his Deputy Jack is thoroughly disliked. Ralph, at the threshold of puberty when the boys' known world collasped, slowly emerges as their natural leader, but there is a problem; he is deeply in love with Samuel Tamako, the beautiful son of a tribal chief. and sex between boys has been forbidden. We come to know each of the others as well: little "nose", blinded in the initial radioactive rain: "The Rev", trying to reconcile Biblical injuctions against all-male sex with post-apocalyptic reality: young "Dai", worried sick that he will never become sexually mature: the inseparable Maina twins who are unable to worry about anything.

By turns eroctic, funny and ultimately hopeful, Explosion is a compulsive readable novel which should fascinate all gays and boylovers -- in fact anyone curious about how a group a boys can deal with isolation and catastrophe.

• Site Administrator

All very cool! I added the David Gerrold Links in another thread.

I'll need to sit down and go through all of these soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first book I ever read with a gay character was when I was 13, the political novel Advice and Consent, written in 1959 in which a closeted gay Senator who had a "moment" in the Army during the War is blackmailed and commits suicide, not the most encouraging thing for a gay teenager to read right off the bat!

Next, when I was fourteen, I read Fire From Heaven, by Mary Renault about the young Alexander the Great and his love for Hephaistion. This was followed two years later by the sequel, The Persian Boy.

• Site Administrator

I'm thinking of making those two books from Mary Renault the buys of the week tomorrow.

good books. Supposedly the Alexander movie they are making now are based in part on them.

Who's playing Alexander? After her incredible characterization, it had better be someone good. His integrity and the romance of his principles and courage will be difficult for someone who doesn't understand the character. I hope they don't get just a pretty face like Brad Pitt or, Apollo Forbid, (hehe), Tom Cruise!