Make sure.

I like it because normally when you make something, you create a tangible object. In this case, you create a state of being if you take the action in the sentence. It's just one of those examples of how nifty the English language is in how you can phrase things.

Jamie, I LOVE this! It's exactly in line with my own taste and fascination with the English language. I've had hours of pleasure analyzing the many phrases in which we use the word "way".

Once a few months ago at work I was in a small area with one of my very nice coworkers and when she saw me she apologetically asked "Do you need me to move out of your way?"

Naturally I replied, "Of course not. My way is plenty big enough for both of us".

Not a phrase but a stanza from the Edward FitzGerald Translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

To me it encapsulates everything. Apposite for writers too ;)

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

This is very beautiful, Camy!

"And you sample concepts like hors d'oeuvres

And you eat their questions for dessert"

~No Pressure Over Cappuccino, Alanis Morissette

This is too :)

There are tons of lines from literature that I absolutely love. Unfortunately this one is the only one that I can recall at the moment. It's actually taken from J Finn's "The Human Condition" (something every fan of gay literature, especially online gay literature, needs to read with all due haste).

"He was charming and funny and if you didn't look real close, you could almost miss that his heart was broken."

I've always liked to think that in times of heartbreak I would conduct myself in similar fashion.

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any

Sense of compassion

Between supposed lovers-Tool

Fever inside the storm, so I'm turning away. Away from the name

Away from the stones, Cause I'm through mending the wounds of us.

Keep your thorns, cause I'm running away. Away from the games

Away from the space, The circumstances of a world so cold...Mudvayne

Edited by Thirdeye
Once a few months ago at work I was in a small area with one of my very nice coworkers and when she saw me she apologetically asked "Do you need me to move out of your way?"

Naturally I replied, "Of course not. My way is plenty big enough for both of us".

That's way cool. :D

Poets are getting most of the limelight, perhaps deservedly so, but here's something different. This is one of "out od the mouths of babes" story.

I had just finished reading yet another story to my 4 year old daughter, Erin. (She almost 32 now) The story had some moral to it and I was doing my best to explain it to her (which was dumb, of course). At the same time, she was trying to ask a question. I persisted. In complete exasperation, she finally said, "Daddy, save some of your voice for later!"

That has to be the most polite way to tell someone to shut their pie-hole. :wub:

Conner

• 3 weeks later...
Poets are getting most of the limelight, perhaps deservedly so, but here's something different. This is one of "out od the mouths of babes" story.

I had just finished reading yet another story to my 4 year old daughter, Erin. (She almost 32 now) The story had some moral to it and I was doing my best to explain it to her (which was dumb, of course). At the same time, she was trying to ask a question. I persisted. In complete exasperation, she finally said, "Daddy, save some of your voice for later!"

That has to be the most polite way to tell someone to shut their pie-hole. :wub:

Conner

Oh my!! That is SO funny! :lol::lmao:

• 1 month later...

Conner

Lol.. Clever. :)

Krista

This is from a book that an exboyfriend gave me.. lol. I didn't think I would like the book at all, as it's old, and hicked up, but it's now one of my favorite books really.. and it's by a local author. Harriette Simpson Arnow.

Milly never scolded her at such times; poor child, soon enough would come the time when not just her body was tied down to work, but her mind too, with troubles and worries -- it seemed sometimes like God made women for trouble; she wasn't real certain, but then she was never really certain right away -- or maybe she only wouldn't let herself believe -- but it seemed she was in the family way again. The thought would check her suddenly in whatever she happened to be doing, and she would stand a second open-mouthed and staring; this thing had happened to her again. An instant later she would chide her sinful heart; women were made to have babies; it was a sin not to want them, and a black, black sin to try to keep from having them. The thing was to work as long as she was able.

Anyway, I couldn't really tell you why out of the whole book this paragraph stuck with me long after I finished reading it.. lol. I don't expect this paragraph to be all that expressive to many people though, and the book really doesn't have universal appeal. If I didn't force myself to start reading it myself, I never would've found out that I liked it... but there are tons about the book people wouldn't like really.

Krista

I can neither recall the title of the book, nor can I remember the exact words leading up to this sentence, but it's taken from a book about Happiness in which people were sitting around being dour for the sake of seeming intellectual and sophisticated.

"Austerity never looked so good"