Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,278
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. I didn't realize I was writing such intrigue. Woot! Oh what a tangled web we weave... You're welcome, spyke. It was my pleasure to give extra this week.
  2. That literally makes my heart go pitter patter. It's nice that the picture I tried to paint is appreciated. There are many kinds of paradise, and Bearpaw is one of them.
  3. Hey, I'm trying to be subtle here.
  4. I'm not taking that bait, Doc. Short poles ain't my thing... I prefer casting my net.
  5. Well, ain't you clever, ma'am. I confirm or deny nothing. Good catch on the "Scrutiny' though, I'll give you that. There was more than one kind of scrutiny going on for sure, but that's all you get. Okay... one more... Reid might have seemed proprietary. Possibly. Maybe. Hmmm. Not sure. Triangle? Sacre bleu! I would never... would I??? Fate is a funny mistress... and yes... she's female. Women control the world. Enough said about that subject. Boots under beds? Lovesick lawman? You are a treasure, my dear.
  6. No, we can be sure after this that Reid is not corrupt. He seems eager and dedicated to me, and excited that he has inadvertently solved a crime. You're right too that Jubal has choices again, but he is still short of his $840. The bounty helps when added to the recovered coins, but he knows what is needed to get started with farming. So yeah, he'll likely hang around before making a decision on what to do. The one thing that got him excited when he was feeling so helpless was the thought of catching a wilding, so he won't give up on that just yet. I have a friend that always rode stallions as his personal horse. It is a hard thing to give up... they are different. We don't know why Jubal has a fear of god fearing folk, but we do know it started with his pa. There is a story there for sure. Speculation is fine... Lucas and Reid know each other, but . I had some good laughs too. Ivor cracks me up. Thanks for the support, my dear friend.
  7. Hey, centex! The rivers do flood, but they just get wider. The town is a good distance away for the 'lake', and the water drains to the south and west. These rivers are mostly spring fed in this area, and while there is some snow melt off in spring, it is not a big deal. No, he wouldn't be a good sheriff if he trusted in everything he was told, so having Lucas there to back Jubal's story up was important. I think Reid could see Jubal is honorable and decent. Bounties were one of the few tools the law had for fighting the criminal element at that time. Bounty hunters were a thing back then, performing an important service. As far as Lucas and Reid... There is a history there, but does it mean anything to the story? Again, I say... Thank you, my friend, for your support and for sharing your thoughts with me. Glad you liked this double chapter. I thought it would be unfair to split it up. Cheers!
  8. Oh, damn. We're not going to let that fishing thing slide under the radar, are we. I'm sticking to my story that it could be an innocent thing.
  9. OMG... there's two of you. Well... maybe three if you count me.
  10. Hey, Doc! I never like to tell readers anything... I like a slow reveal where the pieces eventually show themselves. For example, we don't know what Reid looks like, but we know he's a handsome man from Jubal's thoughts, and if we pay attention, we know he has pale eyes, but what color are they? All in good time, if that information is necessary. Rather than a monologue that awkwardly gives information, we have to wait till the sheriff hears the story before we hear it too. That is what I prefer to do. Dialogue shows... and I do my best to tie everything together, but it takes time. So, yeah, we know why he was left with his horse and pistol, and we also know he took his saddle bags off Kema and kept them close, which is a small point, but an important one. His rifle too, was at his side as he built his fire. We also needed to know the reason why he hadn't unsaddled Bean... he wanted to get the fire going before it was full on dark. Hope this doesn't sound 'precious'... just explaining my process. Jubal has not had good luck, and I think it's become clear that started with his father. That lack of trust he has is sad, which is why I love the friendship he has found with Lucas. As far as Reid, there is lots that could go wrong if Jubal stumbled over his story, but he had Lucas to back him up, so yeah, that would help. Thank you, my friend. I hope you enjoyed this extra long chapter. Cheers!
  11. I mentioned suspicions in the chapter note for a couple of reasons. Jubal is naturally suspicious of folks, and the sheriff was suspicious until he was satisfied he heard the whole story, and that all the pieces fit. I could see his mind working, and I think he is quite intelligent. I feel sorry for Jubal... for that fear and distrust he seems to carry around with him, but I think he learned Reid is a good man, and that is important. Any you're right that he is in a far better position than he was when he met Lucas. Most importantly, he has found a friendship. Secondary is a place to stay, a mount that seems to be quality, his belongings, Bean, and now $450 with the bounty. But yeah, it doesn't make up for losing Kema or the rest of his money, but it helps. He has choices now, ones he didn't while sitting beside the road. That Lucas and Reid have history is obvious, but we don't now yet what that is or what that might mean. I look forward to Bearpaw Mondays too, my friend, and fishing does have its benefits. Thanks, and cheers!
  12. Oh. My. God. That just might be the lamest joke I've ever heard, buddy. Lololol. I love it... I'm laughing like my granddaughter would.
  13. Your kind words are awesome to hear, Ford. I tend to get immersed in my stories and characters, and I need to know I bring readers along with me. I've been feeling a bit low, and this has perked me up. Thank you!
  14. Thanks, Kris! I'm so pleased that tension and stress came across for you. Jubal doesn't trust many people... I think we can see that. Reid was doing his job, but was there anything more to it? Hard to say, but he did change his tone by the time they were done. Reid might pop up again... we'll see, but like I always say... "Fishing buddy with benefits"...
  15. I like me some enthusiasm.
  16. @Ivor Slipper provides great comic relief... even with the lame ones. There be dad jokes ahead.
  17. You're welcome, Johnny. Despite Sheriff Barne's suspicions... and plethora of questions, I thought that went well. Jubal was glad to hear the men they shot were killers... but it still must be hard to swallow down for them. Taking someone's life should bother you. I'm sure Lucas was pleased Reid agreed with him about Jubal having that mare. Having a mount was so important in those days. It sounds like he couldn't throw a rope off of Bean. Thanks, buddy... appreciate the kind support, and glad you liked this double chapter. There might be a few more of them. Cheers!
  18. Lol. Very funny, Ivor. Tickling trout can be great fun, but I'm sure it was just some innocent fishing, is all. Men like to fish, right? Thanks, buddy.
  19. For those reading "Bearpaw", chapter four is posted.
  20. Scrutiny They stayed alert the rest of the way, but saw no sign of the injured man, and the new horse tied to the buckboard was as cooperative as Bean. “Getting close to town now, thank the Lord,” Lucas uttered, following up with a loud sigh of relief. “We’re almost at the river now.” “We have to cross a river?” “Yep, but nothing to worry for since it be shallow. Never gets deep a’tall where we cross, but it does grow wider in the spring. Good smooth gravel footing t
  21. I'm well enough, Tink. Saw my youngest granddaughter today, and am now working on my next chapter, getting it ready. How are you?
  22. This one gets me every time. Evolution is a good word to use for what happened here, Albert. There is a foundational change to this family, and it happened over dinner at the dining room table Kendall knew so well. I still got emotional with this reread. So happy it has a powerful affect on readers still. Yep, Michael is magic, and it all comes from his heart. Thanks, my friend.
×
×
  • Create New...