Jump to content

Graeme

Site Administrator
  • Posts

    16,848
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Graeme

  1. I'd have to say that I'm more a fan of my editor(s) I have a few times gone back and read stories I wrote some time ago. Yes, I enjoyed them (to the extent that I stayed up way too long), but I also admired how much smoother the published stories are than the original drafts. I love my stories (well, most of them), but they wouldn't be as good without the thorough job my editors do. Unlike some editors, the guys I get editing my stories will rewrite sentences to make them clearer and more concise. They don't change the story itself, but they make a dramatic improvement on delivery, and delivery is important if a story is to be liked.
  2. Childhood's End was by Arthur C. Clarke and, in my opinion, one of his better stories. Coincidentally and only tangentially, also about the end of the world. It's on the list (two or three lines above the others). You've got three stories on the list for best Non-GA story
  3. Thank you for your consideration The Lounge is not the place for heated debate/discussion, and as you're aware, religion is a hot button issue for many people. If you want to make provocative statements on the subject, please use The Soapbox. Also, please keep in mind the GA Rules, and in particular: Graeme Forum Moderation Team
  4. You can nominate any story where something was posted in 2009, even if the story started posting earlier.
  5. Umm... what about Ian Roberts? Or the fact that he was an Australian rugby league player who came out doesn't count? He came out in 1995 and didn't retire as a player until 1998.
  6. Graeme

    Avatar

    Only an hour and a half early? I went to the IMAX cinema at the Melbourne Museum on Sunday where it's also showing (in 3D). I arrived at 11am and EVERY SESSION for the day (through to after 8PM) was already full. Just as well I wasn't going there to see Avatar But if I was going to see it, an IMAX cinema in 3D would be the place....
  7. Correction -- that would make you someone's landlord. I never agreed that I was renting the place. However, we now have your confirmation that this cliffhanging dwelling is yours. What was that about a goat never having anything to do with cliffs? Patently wrong.... :devil:
  8. If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito. African Proverb
  9. But... but... but... the title for the property is clearly in the name of C James, even if he's renting it out and not currently living there....
  10. This has been discussed before, but for the education of those who weren't aware, the difference is that when someone is reading the stories, they can look at the classification and synopsis and have some idea if graphic sex is going to be included. If they don't want to read it, they can then avoid doing so. On the forums, the members do not have the option. The forums are open to the general public and there is no disclaimer saying that graphic sex will be discussed. This is why we have a difference in applicable rules for the forums vs the stories. This is NOT open to negotiation. Graeme Forum Moderation Team
  11. Our family has a NYE tradition -- watching Dinner for One on the TV. What's your New Years Eve tradition?
  12. * Puts on his moderator hat * No, we don't want the juicy details in public. If this thread devolves into either sexual fantasies, or into descriptions of explicit sex, it will be removed. * takes off his moderator hat * I'll admit that I wanted to know what outdoor sex would be like, but it wasn't as thrilling as I thought it would be
  13. *cough* *cough* As it is now Christmas Eve here in Australia I'm feeling generous. However, can I point out that unless you wrote the chapter in question, you can't issue spoilers. After all, even if you've seen the coming chapters, CJ could change the contents of the boxes between now and when they are posted. Therefore, in future please use the word 'probably' when doing this sort of thing. Excuse me while I get back to preparing for tomorrow. Merry Christmas! Graeme :mace:
  14. Is this an appropriate place to report that Mexico City now allows gay marriage?
  15. Welcome, Cia's husband Now I just need to convince my wife to join....
  16. Merry Christmas to you, too, CJ Can you please point out what cliffhangers I've posted this year? I'd be interested in how your very active imagination answers that question
  17. It's a trade off. Some authors wait until they've finished a story before they start to post, but that may mean waiting a long time between stories. Others will start posting while the story is incomplete, but that means the reader runs the risk of the story not being completed. Most of the authors here will finish what they start, but real life can interfere with that process. As readers, we just have to accept that that happens from time to time.
  18. Yu-Gi-Oh has never been as high profile as Pokemon, which is why it hasn't drawn the attention of the nutcases. Having said that, I wouldn't have thought the Tellytubbies would have been high enough profile, either, but it drew the fire of one preacher who accused Tinky Winky of being gay.... Nutcases aren't restricted to religion. There was a recent 'scientific' study that said Thomas the Tank Engine was sexist... :wacko:
  19. When I was going through university, I remember a report from the USA warning parents to call for an exorcist if their kid starts levitating after playing Dungeons and Dragons. The general reaction of the D&D group I played in was that we'd call the newspapers, not an exorcist. Sadly, I've never levitated after an RPG game, even after almost thirty years of playing regularly....
  20. As Mark has not-so-subtly alluded, this is the Lounge. Discussing options on how to help is fine here. Discussing politics is not. If you want to complain or otherwise comment on the performance of various politicians, or even politicians in general, please use a thread in The Soapbox, and don't post them here. Graeme Forum Moderation Team
  21. Graeme

    Damn

    Best wishes for your cousins.
  22. Can I choose the flavour? I have not been posting on this thread because I've been taught that once all reasonable attempts have been made and failed, it's better to let others maintain their delusions, rather than persist in trying to convince them of the truth.
  23. Since I write lots of short stories, I don't have a problem with a premise resulting in something short. Everything doesn't have to be a novel. It can be a short story, a novella or an epic -- they are all valid forms of stories. Yes, some stories don't have a lot of 'legs', but that's fine as long as the story is complete. I see nothing wrong with that. If it's particularly short, I'd suggest posting it all at once, rather than as a serialisation, but that's only a recommendation.
  24. In my defence, CJ is tricky. He sends me the chapters ahead of time, which, because of my well known dislike of spoilers, means I'm generally unable to comment on the chapters when they come out because I know what's going to happen next. I could, I suppose, not read what he sends, but he's such a good author that I can't resist (yeah, yeah, poor willpower). That's my story. :mace: Believe it or not
  25. I've only got one comment to make, James -- why were you so mellow in that email? You were almost pleasant to them.... Seriously, there's nothing you wrote that I disagree with. If anything, I think you may have been too lenient. This is a complete idiocy and I hope it turns out to be a complete disaster for them. Maybe then they'll start to come to their senses.
×
×
  • Create New...