Jump to content

Summerabbacat

Members
  • Posts

    8,315
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Summerabbacat

  1. Summerabbacat

    Danger Zone

    Could it be that Cassandra, the half human half wolf is the one who has placed the curse on Ryder's pack and has lied to him that Theodore is his fated mate, or perhaps Theodore has placed the curse on the pack and on Cassandra to lure Ryder to him so that he can kill Ryder. A lot of sniffing between Ryder and Theodore, but I thought dogs usually sniffed each others butts, or do wolves considers themselves as superior to mere dogs? Jack, he with the "cute" rodent appearance is I imagine a university student pretending to be a clairvoyant for a lark or as part of an experiment on the gullibility of humans who have "faith" in fortune tellers. This story becomes quirkier with each chapter @Laura S. Fox, with an eclectic cast of characters. A delight to read.
  2. “Oh! So, you’re Peter’s boss.” “Something like that. I’ve said that I will up my volunteering hours and there are bound to be things that I can keep on doing.” and "There’s more! I have agreed to take on a trainee, something I have long fought against. I am taking the trainee on the understanding that they will help with the pro bono work.” “Makes economic sense.” “It means that I can do some of the more complex cases and the firm is starting a fund, so we can take a limited number of deserving clients on reduced fees.” and "Hell no. It would feel”, I frowned. “Unsatisfactory. Dirty, even. So what?” “Sell it and create a little private trust, for your friend, Matt. Pay his wages for volunteering at the reserve. Nothing luxurious.” Macdonald Philpott may have been a less than stellar father, but it appears he is at least partially responsible for having raised two fine sons, even if their better qualities have developed in defiance of their father. Vince's altruism, which has been present from the start of this story, shone like a beacon in this chapter. The thing which impresses me the most is that he does not just talk the talk, he walks the walk too. His final comment to Dawn “Whispering sweet nothings about prison reform.” also demonstrated he has a much more wicked sense of humour than one could have anticipated. His character growth has been nothing short of miraculous. There was a quite a bit of other humour in this chapter too, none funnier than Freddie's completely non-PC comment about Francis' wife #3. “But sufficiently in tune to keep his thoughts private, besides”, Vince grinned, “wife number three is half his age and nothing to be proud of.” “Except her t*ts and they’re not real.” And one of the most moving scenes in this story to date: “Would you have really, if I’d asked three years ago?” He gave an embarrassed laugh, “I’d like to think that I would have but…” He shook his head, “We’ve come a long way since then.” And to my great surprise he hugged me. “Thanks for all the support, Gray. It means a lot.” Great chapter @Robert Hugill, warm, funny and ultimately a very satisfying and entertaining read.
  3. I dare say you have seen this in your "neck of the woods" too on many an occasion, and it cannot be blamed solely on "idiots from the city".
  4. Summerabbacat

    Vulnerabilities

    Another densely packed chapter which provoked some very surprising emotions in me, the most surprising of which arose from this powerfully written text: "The Andersens’ dead eyes followed him as he sped away from the unwelcome reminder that he had willingly forfeited his soul for a country that no longer existed – a country that never loved him or even needed his sacrifice. The Wolf’s stoic and pragmatic composure had been pierced by the .308 Winchester round he had fired moments before. Somewhere deep and nearly forgotten, Matthew Andersen cried. Damir tried to ignore the drops of guilt and regret pouring down his cheeks, but the tears continued as Matthew’s childhood memories flowed from his fractured past." I did not expect to feel any sympathy for Damir after the actions he has taken, including the murder of his parents, and yet I did. Apart from his murdered parents, he is another 'unwanted son', a 'son' discarded by an evil empire which ran out of steam and conviction and tossed him aside just like all the other unwanted sons in the Land of Lincoln. I was also angered by what has happened to Henry, angered by the cruelty and ignorance of both his attackers and The Turd, but also angered somewhat by Angelica. I understand why she has kept a bedside vigil with Walter IV, but seemingly she has not given much thought to Henry, or foolishly assumed (and this I cannot hold against her) The Turd's newly displayed "devotion" to Henry was genuine. Unfortunately she has fucked up big time in making this assumption, one which I hope she makes The Turd pay dearly for. I must say I would not have been at all disappointed if Damir's aim had been more than slightly off and he shot Silas instead of Devon. I got the impression Damir did not share Silas' disgust at Teyshawn being a 'nilla lickin' homo. Hopefully Henry is in the vicinity of where Teyshawn and Devon are as indicated by @VBlew in his comments or if not, near Liberty Academy and he seeks shelter there. If the latter hopefully he will reveal his father's bizarre behaviour and computer screen content to Roger or someone else smart enough to recognise a possible link between the latter and the attempted hit on Walter IV. Another outstanding chapter @empath, of a quality we readers have come to expect from you, and which to date you have delivered without fail (no pressure, none, nada).
  5. Universally stupid @weinerdog. When I was growing up in Taree in the dim dark ages there were a lot of farms not far from where we lived after my parents divorced. These farms were all eventually subdivided and housing estates built. They are a hop, skip and jump from the river and not that far above the level of the river. It does not need to rain much and their yards at least are flooded. I am always amazed (and I should not be given my age) that people are shocked when their houses or yards flood and they are built on the riverbank. It is similar to those who build their homes in bushland or near bushland which is prone to bushfires. I am sure it would be horrible to lose your home, but sometimes I find it very difficult to be sympathetic (at least to the humans), especially when they do not have insurance. If you cannot get home insurance because where you want to build is on a floodplain or in a bushfire zone, should that not tell you something.
  6. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 8

    Damn, I was too late to see this comment, and you have already corrected it. I thought it was hilarious, I didn't just laugh I guffawed.
  7. It appears most, if not all, we readers agree with you @drsawzall. Daddy dearest has reported the car as stolen as payback for Jamie having moved his tuition funds from their joint account to his own checking account. I assume the tuition funds were paid into this account voluntarily by Daddy dearest, albeit for a course which Jamie is only attending to appease Daddy dearest in the first place. It appears the two policeman, Leeland and Dale, are suspicious regarding the alleged theft of the car, particularly now they have also noted the bruising on Jamie and were concerned they may have inflicted it. Once medical have given Jamie the once-over, hopefully Lee and Dale will pay Daddy dearest a visit with a warrant for his arrest for assault, and if proven, for filing a false police report (good thinking @weinerdog). And if it is a worst case scenario, murder may also be on his list of charges.
  8. I just hope she is still sleeping at night @CincyKris, that Jamie's father did not murder her after Jamie left.
  9. You may not be happy with it @Jeff Burton, but you should be proud. This chapter has provoked a plethora of discussion as well it should have, and all of it due to the quality and impact of your writing; it is a brilliantly written and powerfully painful chapter. Enough said.
  10. In Taree where my mother lives they are expecting another 200-300mm in the next 2 days. Port Macquarie is now completely isolated as all roads in and out are flooded, and yet stupid fucking people still drive their cars into floodwaters and then have to be rescued by the SES.
  11. If Tony maintains this level of affability and charm he is likely to become as popular with the desperate housewives of Lantana Lane as what Aaron was, and he will not even have to take his shirt off to do so. The character quality which has shone through in the past few chapters is how unaffected Tony is by his wealth and fame. He may not be a household name yet, but enough people in Thompsonville are aware of who he is that he could perceive himself a celebrité extraordinaire if he were at all egotistical. It appears he is still very down-to-earth, his main focus is on rebuilding his relationship with Aaron, everything else is window-dressing. A wonderful chapter @Mark Ponyboy Peters. And although Thompsonville and Macquarie Harbour are fictional creations they are based, as you have previously stated, on several seaside towns e.g. Port Macquarie, you visited as a youth. As I write this comment these towns are under siege from floodwaters as are many towns along the mid North Coast of NSW. My own home town is experiencing the worst flood since 1929. My 83 year old mother has just informed me she has measured over 500mm of rain in the last 3 days, the rain is still torrential and is expected to continue for several more days. She has her bag packed ready to go if need be, which in the 46 years she has lived there has never been necessary. Many people have been evacuated from their homes and many more are being airlifted by helicopter from the rooftops of their homes. I am not religious but at times like this I do pray for their safety and the safety of all their pets. Many farm animals will already have lost their lives as many of the farms I recall are built on land near the river.
  12. She was a "friend" of the Oak Ridge Boys, just like Bobbie Sue, wasn't she (LOL)?
  13. Food poisoning from dodgy oysters?
  14. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 8

    I hope this was a freudian slip @Paladin (LOL). Nothing interesting about me.
  15. Summerabbacat

    Good Eggs

    Kat's scent was offensive and I love cats. I can just imagine the bitchy little drama queen walks through an aftershave mist each morning, a scent so overpowering it would burn many a human nose. I used to work with a woman who every afternoon before she departed work would freshen her perfume. She sat on the other side of the floor I was on, a good 10-20 metres from where I sat, but my nose would start to twitch and burn because she used to drown herself in it. Horrible. Ryder's affection for Danny is growing as is his desire to protect him it would appear. For someone who is so confused and physically drained by the contrary behaviour of humans, Ryder's understanding of them which appears largely based on their smell, is amazingly accurate. The joy continues @Laura S. Fox. You have got yourself a winner with this delightful tale.
  16. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 8

    The "hotties" in Olivia's Physical were hot, and when the two guys went off together at the end it was "shocking" at the time. Apparently many were appalled by the video and suddenly wholesome Olivia was reviled for "promoting" such depravity. And what a great song.
  17. I too am Team Danny and Ryder or should it be Ryder Danny? I am totally charmed by this story @Laura S. Fox. It has a sense of whimsy which greatly appeals to me, and I am always a sucker for a story where the underdog wins (at least I hope Danny wins and he will be under a "dog" if he does). Woof.
  18. I am a supporter of Team Danny already @Al Norris so I hope your supposition is spot on. The misunderstandings on the part of both Ryder and Danny were from a literal interpretation of what the other said. This could have happened between two humans as it has between a human and a wolf, but less likely so. It was a comedy of errors, each expecting a financial transaction was to take place. Danny has self-esteem issues, Ryder has been seduced by Danny's smells and Danny could be easily seduced by Ryder's "perfectly curved ass on one side and the equally perfect curve of a huge cock on the other side." It appears the perfect recipe for some really hot sex, but Danny has quashed the idea due to his integrity, which Ryder I suspect will respect. Bugger. Most amusing chapter @Laura S. Fox.
  19. I am not drawn to stories about werewolves, shifters, paranormal fantasy generally, but for some reason I was drawn to this one, perhaps it was the story title and the premise of the story which intrigued me. I am glad I chose to at least give it a peak as, if this first chapter is any guide, I sense I am going to enjoy it. The title of the second chapter appears to portend what I thought of the conversation between Danny aka Average Joe and Ryder in this chapter; I see plenty of opportunities for misunderstanding. Ryder's very formal manner of speech suggests he has not brushed up on colloquialisms or slang and this is likely to lead to some very amusing misunderstandings I suspect. This first chapter also highlighted what appears to be one of the most glaring differences between the senses of the human animal and the non-human animal. Non-human animals have a much stronger sense of smell and rely upon it heavily. Ryder's disgust at the foul smells of the city and the stench of many humans was very funny. It appears Danny's smell was one of his greatest attractions, his smaller stature and 'Average Joe' appearance of little consequence to Ryder, a totally different appreciation of beauty. A most enjoyable chapter @Laura S. Fox. Perhaps the S. is for Serenity.
  20. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 8

    Did it "tickle your fancy"? It is a song from the fabulous Gentlemen Prefer Blondes starring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell.
  21. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 8

    This one may also appeal @Ticklishboy30; plenty of tickling may have taken place, and although there is no surfing it is still a "sporty" song with a gymnastics display and some swimming.
  22. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 14

    I was pleased to see the reappearance of Adam Connelly and Killian's continued acknowledgment of him as Dad. He is perhaps the one character whom I thought was "undersold" in Bleeding Hearts i.e. I would have liked to know more about his backstory. Nikki is a character rich in dramatics, both physically and verbally. Her comment on the Glitter Guild "You’ll know them when you see them. A flock of very determined widows in aggressively loud outfits, think sparkles, sequins, floral polyester, the works. They travel in a pack and will monopolize you for the entire night if given half a chance." was very amusing. I think JW would highly approve of her @Josh Aterovis.
  23. Summerabbacat

    Consequences

    I call it fucking annoying @Lee Wilson, amongst a whole litany of other profanity. My iPhone 6 is virtually useless now for anything internet related which is OK as I only use the internet on it for reading GA and Nifty (I cannot write comments, give ratings or anything like that as it does not allow me to do so); definitely not for banking on anything which requires passwords, usernames etc as it is too small. Both it and my laptop (12.5 year old Apple Mac) need updating, but they are so expensive and I live in the 2nd most expensive city in the world for real estate (2nd only to Hong Kong) according to statistics I saw published over the weekend.
  24. What a horrible thought @pvtguy, something Jasper well may have contemplated. @drsawzall may be right, Jasper may become a liability for those he was involved with and may end up dead.
  25. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 8

    Daniel, Vanessa and Michael?
×
×
  • Create New...