-
Posts
8,344 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Summerabbacat
-
You rascal @Mark Ponyboy Peters.
-
A delightful return to the world of Eric, Andy, Adam and an array of "smaller part" characters. Life has improved significantly for Eric since he met Andy and Adam. He has a more positive outlook on life, his social circle has expanded a little and he is moving outside his comfort zone to embrace new things, such as a computer. The only thing which has not changed is the bloody awful weather. People who live in such climates obviously have a far more robust and resilient constitution, both physical and mental, than I possess. If the first chapter is any indication @northie, the journey through Eric, Andy and Adam's life is set to be as enjoyable in this book as it was in its predecessor.
-
Could this be in Tony and Aaron's future? A wonderful song, performed by many since written in 1937, but I don't know of any version better than the one performed by Peggy Lee, a favourite of mine from the 1950's and 1960's. Perhaps the sprawling white house?
-
$1.5 million. @Mark Ponyboy Peters started publishing this story on Nifty in March 2020 just as COVID hit big time. $1.5 million would likely have bought Tony a very nice home in Thompsonville then, possibly the sprawling white house on top of the hill which he did not recall previously seeing. I strongly doubt he would be able to buy the same house now for $1.5 million. I find myself agreeing with @Al Norris again, this chapter "appears to be an interlude, a chapter of reflection and possibly, one of hope. While Justin is reserved, Scott appears to be very hopeful that such a reconciliation may occur." I suspect Justin is keeping things close to his chest, and not just because he is generally more reserved than Scott. He is after all, Aaron's closest confidante, the one who likely saw Aaron at his lowest. He obviously feels very protective of Aaron, but at the same time I don't believe he would leave things unsaid if he did not believe there was some hope of a reconciliation between Aaron and Tony. Tony's thoughts in this chapter seemed less melancholic than what they have been to date. He seemed in a much more contemplative mood, looking forward, whilst still taking into account the past. The house on the hill seemed to pique his interest, albeit briefly. @pvtguy's comment he "hopes the meal being delivered includes a side of Aaron...." gave me a great chuckle. A side of Aaron would be far healthier than a side of fries and leave a much more pleasant aftertaste for some time to come. Delightful writing as usual Mark.
-
How to Make a Priest VERY Happy
Summerabbacat commented on Tallguyct's story chapter in How to Make a Priest VERY Happy
Walter's generosity should not go unrewarded. If Captain Jose were to become aware of Walter's generosity of spirit (he is already aware of his generosity of endowment), he may be inclined to provide Walter with some personal generosity of his own. Hot hot hot, smoking hot. -
A small cast, a simple story of friendship, light on melodrama. Beautifully drawn characters placed into a variety of situations. A story steeped in reality, the struggle of a retired man with limited financial means and no support systems in place to make life easier or more bearable. Enter his life a young gay man, self-assured, happily coupled and determined to do right by the older man, thinking he knows what is best for him. What unfolds is a thing of great beauty, a real intergenerational friendship between two very unlikely friends.
-
"Eric didn't usually stay up to see in the New Year – he'd never seen the point. One year had been pretty much like another – dreary, without hope. He was going to this year. Yes, he'd be in bed, waiting for the church clock to strike, but that was enough. Eric smiled to himself. So many changes in so short a time, and more to come. He couldn't wait for what the New Year would bring." Are these the thoughts of the same old curmudgeon who presented himself at the beginning of this most marvellous of stories. The text in bold, especially astonishing given the solitary life Eric has most likely always led. This thought itself would most likely astonish Eric too. What a spectacular transformation. And Andy, still a little forgetful at times, a memory like a sieve, but what a transformation he has gone through too. His thoughts about the joy he and Adam experienced in the afternoon spent simply with Eric, an indication he has come to appreciate the simpler comforts he has attained from his friendship with Eric. What a journey, ably steered by the Captain of the ship, @northie.
-
The only thing which could have improved Christmas Day lunch at Andy and Adam's would have been the death of one of the attendees. An alcohol infused seizure or heart attack, or perhaps a homicide, but the latter of course would have resulted in problems for the killer(s). Adam's father is loud, obnoxious and self-opinionated. I assume he was at one stage quite different; if not, why did Adam's mother marry him. I had forgotten that in their leisure time Andy and Adam are enthusiastic cyclists. I hope they are careful and wear a helmet at all times. Mrs Turner appears relatively harmless, but her gossiping ways could be problematic for Eric. The old saying loose lips sink ships comes readily to mind. The intent may not be there, but her gossiping about Andy visiting Eric for reasons unknown might add fuel to the accusations of the young hooligans that Eric is a "fag" or a "paedo". Frankly, both Bella and Mrs Turner need to be on a leash, and the latter muzzled as well. Well it is unanimous @northie, Adam's father is as popular with your readers as he is with Adam and his mother. Perhaps you could "borrow" some poison, or an ancient Mesopotamian dagger or some other unusual weapon from Agatha Christie, to improve Adam's father's appeal.
-
I find Christmas and Easter both, very upsetting and distressing. As a vegetarian, I am revolted by the horror of both celebrations resulting in the mass slaughter of animals on a much larger scale than usual. In addition, Christmas and its immediate aftermath are a terrible time of year for domestic pets, many of whom are adopted by stupid parents for their children because they look cute, only to be abandoned or surrendered shortly thereafter because they are "too much work". Like many, as I age my patience has decreased, and my tolerance of such gross displays of carnivorous behaviour and neglect of animals is very limited. I find it difficult to watch my fellow humans consume meat and if I smell it then I cannot bear to sit near whoever is eating it. As for people who abuse, neglect or abandon domestic animals, I would not be sad if such people met a horrible end, sooner rather than later. I shall climb off my soapbox now and delight in the simple pleasure Eric derived from two phone calls for Christmas and four Christmas cards. He gave a hint of what his childhood was like, indicating it is not surprising he lacks social skills, self-esteem and a recognition he deserves happiness just like anyone else. A delightful chapter @northie and a thank you for not describing in great detail the food undoubtedly consumed at Andy and Adam's home.
-
I refuse to use self-service checkouts at the supermarket because I scan too quickly, sometimes the item is not barcoded and the machine has a hissy fit, and the automated voice drives me barking mad. I am prepared to wait in a queue for this reason and to ensure there are jobs in supermarkets for checkout workers. If the supermarket insists I self-serve, then a discount should automatically be applied to my total as I have not contributed to the employment of a checkout staff member. In Australia, my homeland, the two biggest supermarkets we have, have made substantial profits post-COVID, have been investigated, found guilty and heavily fined for dishonest practices, and now are the two most distrusted "brands" in Australia. One also recently tried to force its employees to sign very dodgy work agreements, but the general public was swift in its condemnation of this. Eric's newly established friendship with Brian is already yielding positive results. I was pleasantly surprised Eric allowed himself a treat of a Chelsea Bun to accompany his cup of tea. This story continues to entertain and provoke much discussion, both of which I am very pleased about @northie. Exemplary work from you as always.
-
As several other readers have commented, the M/M romances Eric is reading can, and certainly for now, are a double-edged sword. He is fascinated to read of gay life and relationships, perhaps giving him a sense of "belonging" to a group, but at the same time they are filling him with a sense of despair, regret and yearning that he has never experienced such things, and at this time of his life never may. Once again beautifully written @northie. Eric has transformed from a grumpy older curmudgeon to a grumpy older curmudgeon who is comforted by a genuine friendship and is willing to step outside his comfort zone, to some extent, buoyed by that genuine friendship.
-
I hope @Ronyx spares Lucas' life as I think there is some hope for his redemption. I believe his problems stem entirely from his upbringing; as noted by @Fry, he has been subjected to sexual, physical and psychological abuse by members of his own family, quite possibly in one form or another for most of his life. In this chapter he showed some remorse for his treatment of his friends: "He hadn’t meant any harm to any of them, not even Neil. He had always enjoyed the power he had over his smaller friends, but he never intentionally hurt them. He was usually able to intimidate them into doing what he said, so there was no need for threats." I strongly suspect the power Lucas refers to is as the result of the powerlessness he felt each time he was raped by his Uncle. It appears likely he has had to be concerned about where he is going to live too, given his grandmother's frequent reminders he is burden she would prefer not to have and her belittling treatment of him. I doubt Lucas has ever heard "I love you" from anyone. If Lucas lives and if any good results from his attempted murder, it may be he will be forced to accept the care and compassion of his friends, and will realise what genuine friendship means, particularly if any one or more of them assists in his physical rehabilitation. I wonder if Mr Collins might become Lucas' guardian as he certainly needs to be removed from the "care" of his grandmother. As for Uncle Raymond, prison for the attempted murder and repeated sexual assault of Lucas, the latter of which will hopefully be discovered by whoever is treating him for the beating he has sustained.
-
I only read this because you wrote it @Lee Wilson. Not a fan of poetry, at least not that I am aware of, but this was simply delightful. I have to confess it moved me and I shed it tear or two (how unlike me) as it captured the struggle and ultimate triumph of a gay man in nine verses. Well done.
- 28 comments
-
- 13
-
-
-
Something as simple as newly planted flowering plants or a new hedge can bring such joy, the beauty of nature a soothing tonic for frazzled nerves or anxiety. One thing Eric and Andy will need to be mindful of are those teenage hooligans; I can easily imagine them delighting in destroying or at least damaging the gardens. If such destruction does take place they and their mind numbingly stupid and ignorant parents should be made to pay for restitution, and if they cannot pay, take it out of their benefits. What a joyous chapter @northie. A few simple improvements to Eric's life have made such a difference to his wellbeing and temperament.
-
Venetia & Charles cordially invite…
Summerabbacat commented on Robert Hugill's story chapter in Venetia & Charles cordially invite…
I may have to investigate this author @Gary L. I read her Wikipedia entry and how she was lauded as one of the most underrated authors as nominated by several literary critics. -
I was hoping for it to be effective against humans only so that: Ladies and gentlemen Please welcome President Elect, Felix Sylvester Catt
- 60 comments
-
- 11
-
-
-
In Kate's song @Lee Wilson the intention of the experiment was to develop a sound to kill someone, long distance if necessary, thus it could be used effectively in warfare. No chance of plagiarism, the "comparison" was an experiment gone wrong. Of course, any excuse to post a song by Kate Bush is good enough for me too. If you watch the video you may recognise quite a few of the "cast" if you are a fan of British comedy.
-
It's like a zombie apocalypse @Lee Wilson. Ironic that the only people to survive are those with cancer, and the chemical rids them of the cancer. I have to ask Lee, was the chemical developed to be effective against humans only, or will it kill all animals regardless of species?
- 60 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
-
-
Dare I say this story already illustrates what you are well know for @Lee Wilson, an extraordinarily vivid imagination. Due to the efficacy of the chemical developed with the intention to kill cancer cells, I can see it falling into the wrong hands with devastating effects felt worldwide. Quick, call Avery Noonan Sr. The scenario depicted in this chapter reminded me of the outcome of an experiment gone wrong as depicted in Kate Bush's wonderful 1986 single Experiment IV.
-
I can imagine Eric thriving with a site like GA available to him and stories as good as this one to read @northie. Ordering his groceries online would also help him enormously due to his arthritis and problematic balance at times. This chapter I believe cemented the friendship between Eric and Andy, moving the dynamic of their relationship to a more even footing. I think Andy is beginning to realise the benefit he is deriving from his friendship with Eric too, it is not all one way.
-
I had forgotten that scene, very comparable. I have found many 20 somethings, especially women, are incredibly shallow, self-absorbed and totally contemptuous of others who do not believe they should be the centre of attention due to their youth and misconceived beauty. Hopefully the "bite" will be deep and very painful @CincyKris.
-
Eric is single and does not have any children. This combined with the fact he is gay and poor, makes him largely invisible in society. Fortunately, he has Andy and by default Adam, and to a lesser extent Hazel Thompson, who have now shown some degree of concern for him. On the flip side he has the obnoxious young hooligans who have taunted and tormented him based on the ignorance of their stupid parent(s). Hopefully Andy is able to sort them out before they harm Eric physically. If it means Andy has to harm them, so be it. Eric's first kiss. I dare say Eric's sexual contact with a male is likely to be very limited to, perhaps only himself and his imagination. Both Andy and Eric have been give a wake up call. I expect Andy will take steps to ensure it does not happen again, steps which Eric may have to begrudgingly accept. Just so very good @northie; an outstanding read.
-
The teenagers whom Andy caught in Eric's yard are a by-product of their ignorant parents. Retrospective abortion for all of them. If Eric requires hospitalisation or is gravely ill Adam should approach the estate owner immediately with a demand Eric's home be improved immediately or else legal action will be taken against him immediately. Excellent work again @northie.
-
The digital age has completely bypassed Eric, as it has many others. I am reasonably competent digitally and do much online, however, what incenses me is that for many interactions choice has been removed from the equation. People like Eric (and my 83 year old mother) should not be disadvantaged because they do not interact digitally. My mother was given a very basic mobile phone but refused to use it. My brother and I bought her an iPad which she uses, but struggles with if it does something odd (understandably, I hate the wretched things). She could no sooner send an e-mail than she could fly to the moon, and she should not be ridiculed or excluded because of this. I think whoever attempts to assist Eric with using a computer is going to need an endless supply of patience, understanding and a calm soothing voice, as much for themselves as for Eric. I was pleasantly surprised at Adam's vehement opposition to online shopping. I do some shopping online but only purchase what I know will not need to be returned unless it is faulty. I think post-COVID waste has skyrocketed because many buy virtually everything online and if it is not the right size or is the wrong colour (clothing) just throw it out. We as a species have also "learned" to accept that electrical goods and many other items are not built to last anymore or "go out of fashion" in a short while, therefore adding more rubbish to landfill. This also incenses me (I am a bit of curmudgeon myself at times, but am only 61). Another enjoyable chapter @northie, giving we readers a glimpse into what makes Adam and Andy horny (amongst other things).
-
Venetia & Charles cordially invite…
Summerabbacat commented on Robert Hugill's story chapter in Venetia & Charles cordially invite…
I am not saddened by your "ignorance" @Gary L because I have never seen the expression before either. I assumed, as did you it seems, Graham was being facetious, there was not a skerrick of humility in Venetia's boast of having hired a cook to prepare the food for the luncheon. It appears the only thing modest about Venetia is her dress sense, fortunately. I had a great laugh at Vince's indelicate topic of discussion, prison reform, with the "designated" second Mrs Philpott, Rowena. She proved to be as unassuming as Vince, much to the horror of Venetia and the dreadful Tania and Rolf. I loved Vince's not so subtle dig at Rolf for his impertinent question to Graham regarding remuneration for his poetry. What ghastly people to have as dinner companions. Graham's invitation to Rowena startled her at first, until his disclaimer she was not being considered for the position of the second Mrs Philpott. If Peter is invited and attends I wonder if Rowena will get any vibes of the relationship between the two. Does Rowena have any gaydar? The best thing I imagine which will emerge from the luncheon is that Vince will not be invited again, or at least not invited accompanied by Graham, whom I believe Venetia considers is corrupting Vince, or her ideal of him at least. A rather amusing chapter @Robert Hugill. I imagine Venetia affronted by Vince and his appalling dig at Rolf, and his most unsavoury discussion of prison reform. She is also likely mystified and disappointed with Rowena, assuming a doctor's wife or in this case ex-wife, would be far more elitist than what she apparently is. And I agree with @Gary L, as is usually the case, another classic @Robert Hugill.- 26 comments
-
- 10
-
-
