Jump to content

Summerabbacat

Members
  • Posts

    8,363
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Summerabbacat

  1. “Isn’t that a bit”, Ralph considered, “near the knuckle?” I don't recall ever reading or hearing this British phrase before @Robert Hugill. I can imagine it being applied to some of those occasionally saucy British TV comedies from the 1970's such as Are You Being Served, George And Mildred, The Benny Hill Show and Whoops Baghdad and most, if not all, the Carry On movies.
  2. I am looking forward to the time when Ralph's response to a question posed such as "I wonder what the golfing crowd will think" will be "who the fuck cares". It would be a delicious irony if at least one of Ralph's father's stuffy pretentious golfing friends made a show of defending him and admonished his father for not also doing so. He has lived far too long according to the expectations of others, most notably his parents and Therese.
  3. @Robert Hugill has managed to find those exceptions and include them @Cane23. Deirdre, Jackie and Connie (who seemingly was an OK Nanna though).
  4. Nothing to be embarrassed about @Robert Hugill; you write them so brilliantly. Horrid creatures, but not so horrid they become a caricature or merely a one-dimensional figure of derision. My two brothers between them have had four wives, fortunately all now ex-wives, and your nasty wives are very realistically written if my ex sisters-in-law are representational.
  5. I have to ask @Robert Hugill. Did Therese, Barb and the friend whose husband does not fancy her (I cannot remember her name as she was tame compared to Therese and especially Barb) attend the same all-girls school as Jackie? Did they study "How To Be A Bitch 101" (and top their class) or are they just naturally sniping entitled trolls? I thought in more recent chapters Therese was becoming less obnoxious, but "toxic Therese" reasserted herself in this chapter. Although I am not fond of children, I particularly despise the Therese and Jackie's of this world who bemoan having had children and believe they are deserving of special treatment in all manner of ways because they have reproduced. Both need a severe reality check; you are not special because you gave birth. And stop fucking complaining how said child/children cramp your lifestyle and/or cost an arm and a leg to raise. Just think yourselves lucky that taxpayer's like me have the "pleasure", without being asked, of contributing financially to the raising of your child/children. If anyone is entitled to have a whinge it is us. I imagine Ralph is in for an eye-opening evening at one of Russ' parties, although it appears Brian and Gordon will not be in attendance. If Nolan attends the party with him he may find a free moment to slip off unannounced to enjoy some revelry of his own. I imagine Morrie is going to enjoy himself immensely with a smorgasbord of male flesh to partake of. Great chapter @Robert Hugill with Ralph emerging a little further from his restrictive heterosexual cocoon. Now if only you could do something about Therese (fatal car accident, toxic tampon poisoning which leaves her mute, has a religious epiphany and becomes a cloistered nun).
  6. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 12

    I think you are capturing the isolation and surreal time that was foisted upon humanity by COVID very well @KKirk. Alan appears to be embracing friendship with Calvin far more than I initially thought he would. With his dominant personality and rhetoric "I am not gay" it was difficult to view Calvin as anything more than a cumdump through Alan's eyes. He has at least lightened off with that attitude which was very unappealing. Perhaps he is developing feelings for Calvin he did not anticipate he would given he is "straight". Intriguing dynamic to the "relationship" between Alan and Calvin. It certainly appears to be changing, not as "cut and dry" as purely dom/sub which it seemingly was.
  7. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 11

    "Emotionally I was unsure how I felt about Alan’s domineering demeaner and tendency to order me around. At times he made me feel inferior, a feeling I did not like." Methinks cracks, albeit hairline ones at present, are beginning to appear in the veneer created by the sexual haze. I will be interested to read @drsawzall's take on this thought from Calvin.
  8. I so look forward to reading it. As much as I admire all of your works and the majority of the characters, with notable exceptions such as The Monolith, this story for me is your magnum opus and Danny your most beloved fictional character. He is for me your Knowing Me, Knowing You or I Feel Love, a masterpiece, flaws and all.
  9. I don't believe Danny's departure with Jake, assuming it happens, will come as any surprise to his mother @Philippe. I suspect she is preparing herself for it already, even if only to not upset Danny too much if she descends into hysterics. Your second paragraph is a complete WOW. "Youthful intellect can be like looking through a soda straw; perhaps clear, but narrow in scope" so profound and beautifully expressed.
  10. "And sometimes people might want to do it when you don’t want them to . . . or a grown-up or a stranger might want to do it with you. If that ever happens you’ve got to say no, okay! Especially if it’s a grown-up! They’re just not allowed to.’ ‘Does that mean all grown-ups?’ Pete whispered." I immediately had the same thought as @Stompingrigs and @centexhairysub. Has Brad begun to molest Pete or exposed himself to Pete with an invitation to play with each other. I realised in this chapter I have been very harsh in my assessment of Danny's mother. I dare say life has not been easy for her; a troubled relationship between her husband and his stepson perhaps one of the least of her worries. Brad being on the road so often may be a blessing in some respects, but in other ways it has meant she has had to shoulder the responsibility of raising three children single-handedly for much of the time. I would really love to know if Danny's biological father was ever in the picture, apart from the act which led to his creation (hint hint @Mark Ponyboy Peters). If my memory serves me well it is never disclosed though. Nate's behaviour in this chapter had me contemplating what life will be like for him after Danny leaves. The upheaval in his life will almost be as great as that for Danny, and in some ways will be worse because he will not have anyone to share the upheaval with, and Danny's absence will be a constant reminder of how life is not changing for the better for him. He does strike me as a resourceful boy though and I expect he will not remain blue for long. A melancholic chapter again for me @Mark Ponyboy Peters. You write melancholia beautifully, with enough restraint that a creature such as I does not dissolve into a blubbering mess, or if I do the recovery time is relatively quick.
  11. Revisiting the atrocities committed by spermie and the incubator in isolation of all other events in Brendan's life has crystallised a number of things in my mind, particularly after the questions raised by several of my fellow readers in the preceding comments. Firstly, it appears unlikely the incubator was abused as a child as neither Brendan nor Rich appear to have been. Was she abused in isolation? Maybe, but surely one of the boys would have noticed something. Conversely, it is very possible spermie was abused as both he and Aunt Eve became abusers, and in the case of the latter it may have contributed to her drug addiction. Secondly, were spermie and the incubator attracted to each other because of their perversions or was it completely coincidental they became a couple? Did they have some kind of "coming out" whereby each acknowledged they wanted to have children so that they could rape and abuse them? Jill described them both best. Her parting words to her mother music to my ears after what she had done to all her children. And like my fellow readers, I have to agree Jill is one badass. A 21st century Foxy Brown.
  12. What a delightful start to the weekend @Gary L. It sounds like they are settling in well. Did you end up getting the siblings as the little female (Greta?) was not well if I recall correctly? How old are they now?
  13. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 3

    "As the train began to pull away from the station, Ethan spotted Anya and waved. Then he turned his attention back to Maxim. "Don't worry. You'll see each other again soon." I hope this statement does not portend trouble for Maxim and possibly Ethan too under Russia's atavistic "gay propaganda" laws; and, even if they do manage to escape Russia how will Maxim gain entry into the USA? Ethan has not given this any thought seemingly and Maxim is likely just glad to be fleeing the tyranny of a country poisoned by its government and Eastern Orthodox religion. And what is the connection between the scroll in the monastery and the wooden box obtained almost certainly illicitly by Damien? Do they hold nuclear codes or some ancient "wisdom" contained in religious text or revelations deeply embarrassing or dangerous to the current regime in power? Where are James Bond, Indiana Jones, Cleopatra Jones or Foxy Brown when you need them? Intriguing and suspenseful @E K Stokes with perhaps a few of @drsawzall's pesky red herrings thrown in for good measure.
  14. Congratulations are in order @Cane23, @Tonyr, @drsawzall, @pvtguy and @chris191070 for @Robert Hugill yet again as both this story and the recently completed Crossing The Line place at #7 and #3 respectively in the top 10 'Most Read Mystery' in the last month. An achievement all the more remarkable when one considers we are only the 2nd chapter in to this latest tale set in the Hugillverse. Well done again Mr Hugill.
  15. The "departure scene" and the "acknowledgment scene". It is hard to pick which scene moved me more, both poignant and beautifully written, capturing profound events in Danny's life, watershed moments he is likely never to forget, even if Jake does not return as promised. "Nate read the inscription, then flicked through the pages, before placing the book back where he had picked it up from. At first he said nothing. Danny was waiting for it . . . the accusations . . . the hatred . . . everything that a guy like him could usually expect, but none of it came. Instead, Nate just bumped shoulders with him and said, ‘He’ll be back." Any doubts Danny may have had about the depth of his friendship with Nate should have been quashed by this admission. Such loyalty and love is hard to imagine in a friendship between any two people, but between one straight teenager and one gay teenager dare I suggest it is a miracle. And yet both boys are so thoroughly likeable and without artifice it is not hard to see why. Stunning chapter @Mark Ponyboy Peters, a startling reminder why Danny is my favourite "ponyboy" and the friendship between he and Nate the most heartwarming of any you have crafted.
  16. OMG I just fell off my bloody dining chair laughing at this @drsawzall. A spoonerism that would be so easy to reverse with some embarrassment at least felt by most.
  17. I was somewhat surprised @Cane23 that Ludo is concerned Jackie would ensure she got custody of Damian with limited custody for him in a divorce. She displayed little maternal concern in the prior chapter; taking care of Damian an inconvenience to her career, a career which appears to be her #1 priority, or at least more important than either Ludo or Damian. She is a thoroughly unlikeable, egotistical, self-centred refrigerator. I am already speculating wildly at the nature of the sinister turn Jackie's job takes, with the most prominent being she is involved in trafficking women and children from Eastern Europe into the UK with the promise of legitimate work, only to find themselves sold into sex slavery. I was very amused, but at the same time saddened by Damian's understandable disappointment in, or indifference to, Jackie as his mother. "Then the house hove into view and Ludo’s heart sank. Jackie’s car was in the drive. As if the boy was echoing his thoughts, Damian said in a small voice, “Mum’s home.” It also saddened me that at the age of 10 he is well aware he has to self-censure in his mother's presence as she is a pretentious twat. Arthur's baby pink starfish proved to be a joyous visual stimulant for Ludo's starving libido, long deprived of any attention from the frost-bitten cathedral. Methinks Damian has an inkling of the interest Ludo and Arthur have in each other. Methinks he will also be delighted if it bears fruit. Marvellous chapter @Robert Hugill. Jackie, c u next Tuesday to most readers due to her neglect of all bar Jackie. Bitch.
  18. Very pleasing to read Nick's life progressed further from that detailed in the epilogue @Lee Wilson. Steven and Jill's parting words to the incubator were befitting; they described my attitude towards her perfectly. A complete ducking hunt (another despicable practice).
  19. Yes it does.
  20. I have thought of sending you a DM or is it a PM a few times, but thought if life was not good it might be too upsetting for you. I am very pleased to learn you are presumably in good health.
  21. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 2

    Travelling to Russia, particularly as a gay man, is a foolhardy venture for any reason. Throw in possible Russian criminal connections and you are asking for trouble. Ethan did not strike me as stupid in the first chapter, but he certainly has in this chapter. Surely he cannot be as naive as he appears to be. His only saving grace may be that Eliott is likely having him "watched" as well as having his telephone tapped.
  22. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    A very impressive opening chapter @E K Stokes. I am making no judgment of Helios, but because he is likely a witness to the crime and the criminal connections Damien had forged, I was reminded of the old adage "if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas". Helios very well may hold the key to solving the crime as he will likely be able to identify the murderer(s) by their scent if nothing else. If Ethan was actively involved in the antiquity smuggling he very well may be in grave danger himself. He would do well to reveal anything he knows to Eliott, regardless of how trivial it may seem.
  23. I do believe you might be onto something with this comment @pvtguy. Ralph is very involved in the lives of the twins, a real "hands on" Dad. I expect they will give their approval of Nolan, in fact, to a certain extent, they already have.
  24. I was born the same year as @Mark Ponyboy Peters @Talo Segura which put us both at 12 years of age when this story takes place, about 4 years younger than Danny and Nate. I lived on the north coast of NSW very close to the fictional town of Thompsonville where Mark has set many of his stories. I am certainly familiar with the surfing culture, although I was not a surfer myself (my brother 3 years younger than me was and still is a surfer). The beach played a big part in our life as children and I have always loved summer and swimming. My parents were both what would now be referred to as "helicopter parents", particularly my mother. They were stricter with me as the eldest and when they divorced (I was 13 years of age) I took on more responsibility (I did not resent this at all though). My teenage years were certainly not as carefree as Danny's and Nate's, although like many of my fellow Aussie teens, when I discovered alcohol at the age of 16 I started to rebel and began to give my mother some "grief".
  25. They are like dog shit you step in and no matter how hard you scrape your shoe on a rough surface or wipe it on grass, some of it will not come off and the smell will remain. The only way to remove it is to hose the shoe. Perhaps Ralph can turn a hose on both his parents, literally @Cane23.
×
×
  • Create New...