Jump to content

Summerabbacat

Members
  • Posts

    8,363
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Summerabbacat

  1. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Similarly to @CincyKris I felt this story is the "completion" of After We Danced and Song For Guy, although both those stories stand complete on their own. If I recall correctly I read this one prior to the other two and read it on crvboy. Ben did not make a great first impression on Matt, who described their first meeting as awkward. Ben was his often smartarse self, but unfortunately for Luke and moreso Matt, did not make his remarks with his usual trademark mischievous grin, apart from the remark on the apparent coldness of the ocean and its affect on Matt and/or Luke's "shrinkage". The frostiness eased a little prior to his departure to collect Samantha, but they have some way to go before the thaw is complete. Your usual high standard of writing @Mark Ponyboy Peters.
  2. I am somewhat disappointed in Nathan @Jeff Burton and the teenager "excuse" does not cut it on this occasion. As suggested by @weinerdog Nathan could have at least sent the promised text to Corey. As he himself thought at the conclusion of the chapter "My thoughts rattled me on the walk home, as if something was trying to sabotage the good I had been feeling. The shitty part about the whole thing? I never sent that text to Corey to see me. He had to wait the whole weekend to see me again." He is fully aware of Corey's vulnerability, the angst his behaviour has likely caused Corey, but he did it anyway. A simple explanation would have sufficed, words akin to "things have changed so quickly in recent weeks Corey, largely for the good because of you, I need a weekend to myself to adjust to this new happiness so that I don't fuck up and sabotage this good thing we have going". Given Corey's difficulty with social interactions which most people take for granted, I believe a simple explanation like this could have assuaged any anxiety Nathan is likely to have caused Corey. Bad boyfriend Nathan; it is time to stop feeling sorry for yourself, put your big boy pants on, and get with the programme. Of course I know fuck all when it comes to relationships which is why I am eternally single. A wonderful chapter @Jeff Burton with some much needed riotous humour for Nathan and likely for Corey too, especially the following post-date conversation at the breakfast table the morning after: "You guys have a good night?" Carla asked as her eyes shifted between the two of us with a knowing smile. "Carla!" Linda admonished as she set plates in front of us. "What! I was being nice!" She replied with a giggle. "It was nice," I started then took a drink of the orange juice Linda set in front of me. "But you guys can relax our virtues are still intact." I finished with a smirk. Everyone stayed quiet for a moment before I added, "Besides it's not good manners to bang your boyfriend senseless after the first date in his mom's house."
  3. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    A fire sale? I would love the weather there (well the heat and the humidity anyway, not so much the hurricanes), but I don't think I could live in a state with such a high number of Republican supporters even if I was able to migrate to the USA. For every Harry Wayne Casey or Michael Tolliver there seems to be a dozen or more Anita Bryant types.
  4. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 6

    Russian organised crime and the Russian government; I imagine it would be difficult to verify to which certain persons belonged at any given time. Who snitched on Ethan and Maxim? The obvious choice is Dumarov, but perhaps he was also followed by someone representing Volkov. A very intriguing chapter @E K Stokes, with some of those involved like pawns in a game of chess. Will the body count increase now that Volkov and the Russian government are involved? Will Maxim be granted political asylum? Is the real white diamond in the possession of the Siberian monks? Will Rasputin by Boney M be a hit on the pop charts again?
  5. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    What is the going rate for these condos @drsawzall?
  6. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Fantabulous! I love that word but had forgotten it. Very Connie Bradshaw. Well done @Ticklishboy30.
  7. In Australia in times gone by Gordy would have been nicknamed 'Bluey', which is far more pleasant than 'Fire Crotch', although in the right circumstances 'Fire Crotch' could be very complimentary. I, for some reason, did not think Gordy posed any real threat to Damian when he made his first appearance, although I would not have been as laissez-faire about the episode as Jackie was. I thought Ludo overreacted somewhat, but then this is easy for me to say as Damian is not my child. Speaking of Damian and his mother Jackie, I seem to recall Damien (with 666 carved into his head) was the son of a Jackal. Coincidence in the names @Robert Hugill? Just saying. Might this be the sinister turn the story takes? Might Jackie be a bitch in every sense of the word? First Ralph and now Ludo, disclosing their newly revived or belated interest in blokes respectively. I must say @Robert Hugill most, if not all, your stories' blokes belie the old cliche, No Sex Please We're British. A right royal bunch of randy rooters the lot of them, even those who were slow off the mark e.g. Ralph, Keith, Thomas and Colin. And this should be celebrated, particularly as none fit the physical image of the perfect gay man as depicted in much of "mainstream" gay porn (not that I ever watch any such "decadent" entertainment). Another fine chapter @Robert Hugill with @Cane23's pubes featuring prominently, dare I say taking a starring role. Well done young Cane.
  8. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    If the little I watched of the first one, more than enough. Maybe I will give it a try again one day and watch, but then again maybe not. I did very much like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind though which was released at roughly the same time.
  9. This self-perception I am intimately acquainted with so your reluctance is well understood by me. I am glad you saw fit and were brave enough to adopt the attitude "to hell with the consequences" and dipped your toes into the literary world. Now that said toes have been "dampened" and received with such appreciation and joy, I hope the reluctance has been reduced at least.
  10. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    Not this little black duck. I started to watch it on VHS and was bored after a short while and turned it off. I do like Meco's disco version of the theme tune though if that counts @Cane23.
  11. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 1

    This is not at all the type of story I am usually drawn to (so shoot me I don't even like Star Wars). I only read this first chapter because the author is @Paladin, and I am pleased that I did. It has a certain sense of whimsy which I found very charming and the characters are interesting and believable (even Aaron) as far as their "humanity" goes. I look forward to reading further chapters and seeing in what direction the story goes.
  12. A story not for the faint-hearted, this story is likely to provoke a range of emotions, many of them to the extreme; rage, sadness, anxiety, melancholy and joy. The author @Jeff Burton has infused the main characters with many, if not all, the emotions experienced by the reader and written these characters without any artifice. The reader is exposed to a warts-and-all view and not all is pleasant to view. Jeff does not resort to melodrama; situations both pleasant and unpleasant are presented factually, which I found only increased their impact, such that some of the events are very upsetting to read. The greatest strength of this story is the authenticity of the characters and their development in response to life and its ups and downs. I thoroughly recommend this wonderful story to anyone who admires literary craftsmanship of the highest order. Well done @Jeff Burton.
  13. Likewise @weinerdog. I simply must know the full extent of "Jacob then finally reached the climax, the breaking point, the explosion from everything that had been building and just completely crashed. His fight with himself was over, and his whole sense of being shattered like a mirror. It was only then that we were able to pull him from the brink, and help him find the pieces that would make him whole again." I agree @Lee Wilson, although I must say enjoyed understates the pleasure derived from reading this story for me. It was not of course all "happy sailing" for most if not all the readers any more than what it was for Jacob and Tyler in particular. There were some heartbreaking moments, moments of complete despair, moments where one or more of the characters was infuriating (mostly Jacob), but ultimately patience and persistence was rewarded with Jacob and Tyler realising, and acting upon this realisation without reservation, that their life was better with the other in it. Whilst I am very sad to see the conclusion of this story @Jeff Burton I have forced myself to be objective (with a great deal of effort) and recognise that Jacob's story is much better told by Jacob. Hopefully the questions that many of us still have will be answered when we readers are rewarded with Jacob's Story. And a heartfelt thank you from me for this story @Jeff Burton. Whilst I have found much of it disturbing, upsetting and challenging to read, it has been a journey worth taking.
  14. I have just re-read the conversation between Therese, Barb and Dee and it appears Dribble's performance belies his nickname, although he is somewhat unkindly referred to as Mr Safe and Boring. Given the latter description of him I can only but think the twins will likely refer to him as "lame" @gmc. This seems to be their "go to" adjective to describe something which does not appeal to them for any number of reasons.
  15. It appears @Cane23 Ralph is far more adept at coping with the twins when they are at their most boisterous and inquisitive. With Nolan part of the family dynamic now it should be even easier to satisfy their inclination for boisterous "unladylike" activities, such that they may settle down a little with Therese during the week, thus allowing Therese more quiet time for herself an/or to spend with Dribble. I forgot to mention @Robert Hugill how much I laughed when you mentioned Therese's most unladylike snort. The only thing which could have made it even funnier if she had accidentally let out a most unladylike fart.
  16. Therese is "growing" on me too @Gary L; she appears to be less stuffy than she originally presented. I do however, think Ralph should be a little more cautious with what he discloses to her. Whilst she herself may be relatively trustworthy, I am not so sure about Dee and more especially Barb. This aside, his love life is in fact his private life and therefore none of Therese's business. Therese has not disclosed anything to him about her love life, although if his nickname Dribble is indicative of his bedroom performance, it may be she has nothing to boast about with her new beau. Nolan continues to charm with his unaffected and easygoing personality, in addition to his apparent sexual prowess. @Gary L's comment regarding your economy with words @Robert Hugill is so often the case with your stories. This one continues to delight, particularly with the emergence of witty, self-appreciating and happy (for the most part) Ralph.
  17. I assumed the authenticity was based on personal experience @Jeff Burton, but refrained from saying so for fear of being presumptuous. If as you say Ben is autobiographical and his life experiences are your life experiences (and I don't doubt for one moment the veracity of your statements that this is the case) then you have much of which to be proud, in addition to your literary talents.
  18. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 3

    Or had one too many vodkas.
  19. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 15

    A well-written chapter @KKirk. I felt Calvin's anxiety at the impending closure of the Residence Halls. His father's response was measured and more sympathetic than I thought it would be. I have not expressed it to date, but I have been somewhat disappointed in the reaction of his family. I can understand them wanting to protect Calvin's grandmother, but their steadfast refusal to allow him to return home to date has been disproportionate at the very least. Alan improved a little again in this chapter, such that he is not the complete putz (love that word @drsawzall) that I originally thought him to be.
  20. A harrowing chapter @Jeff Burton. You wrote Ben's mental and physical deterioration factually and without a hint of melodrama, and for this reason alone it was more shocking and heartbreaking than had it been written as if this was a soap opera. Although the cause of Ben's snap in the bathroom is known, I had an image of him as a caged or feral non-human animal fearing for its life as a human animal endeavours to reach out to offer assistance and kindness. Ben, similarly to feral non-human animals, has little reason to trust his fellow humans; his fearful reaction and lashing out to an offer kindness is totally believable. I am hopeful he has reached the bottom of his pit of despair and mistrust, and that the action of reaching out and holding on to Josh as if he is a lifeline is the precursor to an improvement in his mental wellbeing. He also needs assistance with his physical wellbeing as the two are intrinsically connected and an imbalance in either affects the other. I enjoyed the first of hopefully many more "cross-overs" to come @Jeff Burton. Chris' appearance in this story felt completely "natural". I sense that a combination of friendship (or perhaps more at some stage) with Josh and friendship from the school group, Chris in particular, and the almost paternal care Gus is willing to invest in him, will help Ben enormously. He must however continue to see Gavin as Gavin holds the key to Ben's self-acceptance and recognition of his self-worth. Perhaps Gavin can, with agreement from Pam, convince Ben that living on his own is not good for his mental wellbeing at present, that living with Pam and Josh would be more suitable. This chapter, for me the most heartbreaking chapter from any of the three stories you have "in the works" @Jeff Burton, was also the most satisfying in the sense that it revealed Ben has far more support than he appeared to have, and I think (or at least hope) his embrace of Josh' kindness is a sign of positive improvement to come. Ben is also the character I admire most of all your characters, all of whom bring something wonderful to their respective stories, but none more so than Ben.
  21. On the rare occasion it happens I don't believe them. Plain is the best I can believe.
  22. Summerabbacat

    Chapter 5

    If I were in Ethan's shoes I don't think I would trust either Dumarov or Volkov and I am still uncertain regarding Maxim too. I believe Eliott Carter is the only one he can trust without reservation as he has no vested interest in the wooden box or the scrolls, apart from learning of the part they played in the murder of Damien Moreau. Another suspenseful chapter @E K Stokes.
  23. My moment of "insanity" disappeared completely with the revelations in this chapter. Spermie and the incubator as they have now become deserve each other. Neither has any redeeming features. If only Brendan had known his "throwaway" remark about the incubator wanting the children all to herself to molest was close to the truth.
  24. It did not take Kathy long to become the c*#t we knew her as previously. And Abel began molesting Jill of his own free will. There is no evidence (yet) that Kathy's father ever molested her, but he presented as an arrogant bully. I have to wonder if had he remained living he would have had the same homophobic attitude to his son Brendan that Kathy did. It is remarkable that Brendan and Rich became the men they did. Terrific chapter @Lee Wilson. I have to say I despised Travis. Fortunately his appearance in the story was brief. For that we should thank the animal he swerved to miss (this really surprised me that he did so).
  25. As someone who had severe acne from the age of 12 to 22 I can attest to how painful it can be both physically and emotionally, and although I was not overweight, I did have glasses from the age of 4 and "railway track" braces on my teeth from the age of 13 to 17 or thereabouts. To say I was dissatisfied with my physical appearance is an understatement, so I can well understand Abel's low self-esteem and his desperation to have sex with the first girl who ever showed any interest in him (fortunately I never felt compelled to sleep with a girl to "prove" anything). It appears Kathy had the "upper hand" from the very start of their relationship. This, combined with Abel's low self-esteem does not of course in any way excuse his later behaviour or diminish his culpability, but I have to wonder if his later abhorrent behaviour was his natural inclination or was it Kathy who instigated it. I shall have to read on to find out. @Lee Wilson I have to say that in isolation from his subsequent behaviour, I had some sympathy for Abel in this chapter, but I still could not bring myself to feel anything for Kathy even remotely approaching sympathy or even understanding. This chapter demonstrated that she was a manipulative bitch even as a teenager. I have to wonder if her intent from the start of her "relationship" with Abel was to get pregnant, perhaps to escape an unhappy home life.
×
×
  • Create New...