Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,831 Words
  • 674 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Scraps from a Diary - 2. Scraps from a Diary, 2 of 3

Scraps from a Diary, 2 of 3

 

By the time dinner was over, a chorus of crickets had arisen to sing the twilight a lullaby.

The social rooms of The Clubhouse were abuzz with merrymakers as I strolled through them. The parlour, with its sofas and armchairs, and its massive stone fireplace aglow with hickory logs, hosted quiet conversations. Small tables by screened windows to the porch were occupied by chessboards and gentlemen at play.

The lounge next door had several card tables set up, and this is where I saw Mr. and Mrs. McIntire playing bridge with another married couple.

Following my instincts, I exited the door from this room onto the veranda.

The night was warm and the breeze delightful.

I found him sitting alone on the top step at the side of the structure. Noisy carousing from the young men having fun in the distant Billiards Hall wafted up to us.

"May I join you?"

"Of course," Bauer said.

I sat on the step next to him.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?"

"Yes, Miss Barrett. I ain't never seen anything like it."

At first his statement set me back, but then…. "You've never spent time in the country, have you?"

"No, miss. It's wonderful here."

"I agree, and look at you!" I flicked his lapel. "Fine linen suit, looking remarkably dapper and like a gentleman of leisure."

He laughed.

"Mrs. McIntire picked this out for me. It's all right, but I feel silly wearing these short pants."

"I know you do, Bauer."

Slowly the intelligence that Constance had shown Bauer a kindness sank into my heart. Maybe that woman was softening to the boy; maybe my half-baked notions…were slipping away.

"Miss Barrett?"

"Yes."

"How are preparations for the new store going?"

"Good, Bauer. So far so good."

"That's a relief. I can't wait to see it all. Mr. McIntire talks about the Tunnelway, and tells me that's where I'll be spending most of my time."

"He does?"

"Yeah. Says I'll be down there running errands between the store and the warehouse. But I won't mind."

I decided a good-natured distraction was called for; a quiz for him on which line we had taken to get here. "Well, my little railroad enthusiast, how did you like your journey on the…the…?"

"The Saint Louis and San Francisco Railroad, miss?

"Yes, that's the one." He had made me smile with my whole heart. He's such bright little scamp.

"It was wonderful! So much to see."

"Yes, I thought it was beautiful too."

Our conversation was interrupted briefly by loud victory hoots from the Billiards Hall. Just beyond it was the large one-story guesthouse for the younger, unmarried men of Famous-Barr. The Hayloft, as it was known, could reputedly sleep forty city bachelors with country ease and comfort.

Refocusing my attention, I realized this must have been the south side of The Clubhouse where Bauer and I were seated. Flanking the porch steps were the faintly scented buds of daylilies. Their subtle aroma surrounded us and made me consider how short is the life of one of their kind. They have just one day in the sun, and this evening the brave-hued little fellows who had made my heart gladder only hours ago were now shut closed, never to open again, but still managed to send out their last sweetness to us anyway. Next to them, the buds that will blossom tomorrow are tightly sprung and anxious, counting the moments for warmth and the chance to stretch and live out their full potential.

However, for the moment, a state of either vibrant equilibrium or dull stasis reigned; I did not pretend to know which.

My glance from my companion must have been too long, for he turned concerned eyes up to me.

I shook off my thoughts with remembrance of work matters.

"You know, Bauer, one of my pre-move-in tasks is to stage all the finished departments and work with the photographer to document each one. It's a lot of work, and I think I will need an assistant on the days we shoot."

The boy looked a total blank.

"You, Bauer. I want you to help me."

"Me, miss?"

"You are perfect. You have an interest in photography, and seem to love it too."

I had to halt. The overwhelmingly happy and excited sparkle in Bauer's eyes stopped me cold.

"I will help you, Miss Barrett. You can count on me." A cloud passed atop his features. "But what about Mr. McIntire?"

"I will talk to him; leave it to me. As long as you want to do it…."

He nodded.

"Then I will tell him I need you and he'll say yes."

Naturally, I didn't tell the boy McIntire would say yes even if the answer were 'No!' The backing I have from Messrs. May and Salomon would see to that.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1913

Wednesday, July 2nd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Famous-on-the-Meramec, near Eureka, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Very sensibly so, breakfast was served buffet style. The morning was warm, and the still breezes and insistent whiff of hay riding on them promised a hot afternoon of sunshine and splashing Famousites in the river.

I collected my portion of scrambled eggs, a bran muffin, and dab of sweet cream butter – made in the property's dairy – and scanned the dining room.

Able to seat about one hundred fifty people, now less than twenty-five were scattered about. I wondered if the head of store security was among them; I had to show and get his sign-off on the architect's reworked jail cell. As a virtual ocean liner of commerce, FB needed a brig as well. Shoplifters beware.

While I was looking to see who I could see for business reasons, I stepped out to the screened-in eating porch. The air here was delightful, and birdsong greeted me.

Stretching along one narrow side of The Clubhouse, another fifty guests could be seated here; now only a few groups sat at scattered tables.

Damn.

Too late. They saw me. Worse yet, the man compounded the impossibility of me sailing past them by rising.

"Ah, Mr. McIntire – Mrs. McIntire – good morning," I was forced to cheep.

"Good morning, Miss Barrett," he said, looking warily at his wife.

I felt a smile rise. "May I join you?"

A questioning glance to the Missus confirmed to McIntire that I was not welcomed.

Thus, I pulled out a chair and ensconced myself, thorn-like in her side.

While I undid my napkin and silverware, I bantered witlessly. "Beautiful day, is it not, Mrs. McIntire?"

"Delightful."

I split my bran muffin and smeared one half unctuously with butter. "Any particular plans for today?"

Mr. McIntire sat. "Some of the boys in The Hayloft are planning a special rig for the Fourth. I'll be helping them this afternoon."

A suddenly horrified thought struck me. "You haven’t housed Bauer with those 'boys,' have you?" The Hayloft was like a college dormitory, and there's no telling how much trouble they could cause for an eight-year-old amongst them.

"No, Miss Barrett," Constance said. "He's sleeping with us, on a rollaway bed." She seemed surprised at the vehemence of my interest.

There was a glass preserves jar in the center of the table. I drew it to me. Avoiding the woman's eyes, I took off the linen doily protecting the conserves from flies and spread a fair chunk of strawberry jelly on my muffin. "Well, that's good. He is still rather young, you know, despite his maturity."

I re-covered the jam pot and took a bite at last. Delicious, but the expression on Mrs. McIntire's face was closer to sour grapes.

I disliked this woman; she was shallow, dull, devoid of humor, and worst of all, had her Mister wrapped around her little finger.

Mrs. McIntire made a display of setting her eating utensils nosily on the rim of her plate.

While I sampled my eggs, she leaned towards me.

"Out of friendly curiosity, Miss Barrett, do you ever mind your life being unfulfilled?"

I set my fork down, swallowed and dabbed my mouth with my napkin. The tone of condescending pity in Constance's voice raised anger in me.

I rebuffed her calmly, as if having to explain a simple thing to an even simpler child, "I have my career, Mrs. McIntire."

She scoffed, thrusting her spine back on her seat. "I worked too, but a woman's real job begins when she sets up a house and makes it a warm and inviting home for children."

A complex emotional reaction arose within me. I collected my wits for a moment, glancing at Mr. McIntire and finding some unexpected encouragement there. "My hope," I said without vindictiveness, "is that career women of the future won't have to make homemaking 'a job' if they don't want to. Let's imagine a time when marriage is not an automatic I quit from a career they find fulfilling too."

Mrs. McIntire acted vaporous, like the melodramatic heroine of a moving picture show.

"John, dear," she sighed, rising to her feet and making him stand as well. "I've come over all queer again." Her hand drifted to her midsection. "I think I'd better lie down."

"Yes, dear."

"Is that…." She paused, apparently rethinking her word choice of idiot. "Is that boy out of our room?"

"Yes, Constance dear. I saw him collecting a fishing pole and bait, so I expect we won't see him till lunch."

She held my eyes; maybe she expected me to stand as well. Instead, I resumed eating my too-long neglected muffin.

"Well good," she huffed. "Now, if you'll excuse me."

I gave a brief wave with my soiled jam knife.

Chewing contentedly, I watched her clear the room. Suddenly Mr. McIntire sighed, and I felt sorry for him. His escaped breath was one of resigned exasperation.

"Since I'm standing, Miss Barrett, may I get two cups of coffee for us?"

I nodded with open enthusiasm.

By the time it took him to return with a small tray rattling convivially with coffee service for two, I had finished my eggs and muffin.

The pleasant breeze did much to restore the lightness of the space after Constance's departure.

I stirred in a lump of sugar. "Mr. McIntire, these last six weeks before the store opening will be frantic to say the least. In the final fortnight preceding the ribbon cutting ceremony I will need an assistant to help the photographer and myself with last moment arrangements. I told Bauer he could do it. Do you foresee any problems arising due to a professional furlough of the lad to me?"

"No, Miss Barrett." He took out a pocket calendar and notebook. "Weeks of August 25th and September 1st?"

"Yes, that's right."

He made a note complacently; I could see the man had a lot on his mind.

 

≈ • ≈ • ≈

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Blast! I shall return with likes!

 

Oh my AC this was delicious. It's hard to read and close your eyes but I can see it all thanks to your skill. The chewy muffin, the waving jam covered knife, all come alive when you write them! This was wonderful!

Link to comment

Oh my, and I see the pre-war splendor of the clubhouse, and the impossible-to-ignore politesse. And what is being cooked up I wonder? Your descriptions are powerfully evocative of an entirely bygone era, neither patrician nor plebeian, but wholly American.

Link to comment

I like how cheeky Barrett is. She does what she wants, yet there is a kind of vulnerability in her as well. During this era, she seems to want her independence. At the same time, her maternal instincts are being roused by the boy, Bauer. I think she is a bit of a paradox within herself. Anyway, her character is fascinating. I wonder what will happen next! Thanks for sharing with us.

Link to comment

Wini was almost too polite, but more for the sake of Mr. McIntyre than his wife. After that woman says "I worked too, but a woman's real job begins when she sets up a house and makes it a warm and inviting home for children." I soooo wanted Wini to say “Well, that would entail such a woman being capable of doing so. If not, her potential children would have been better off being born to another woman.” :evil::lol:

Link to comment

Mrs. McIntire is a tad snooty huh.. It will be an interesting relationship between her and Miss Barrett who seems to be determined and strong willed. But, last chapter ended with her crying herself to sleep, add to that her interaction with Bauer and we see a sensitive and perceptive side to her too.
As usual AC your descriptions put me right in the heart of it..
Looking forward to part 3...

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 01:31 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Blast! I shall return with likes!

 

Oh my AC this was delicious. It's hard to read and close your eyes but I can see it all thanks to your skill. The chewy muffin, the waving jam covered knife, all come alive when you write them! This was wonderful!

Thank you, Tim. The waving knife paints quite the emotional picture in just a few words, I think, so it's wonderful you mention it specifically.

 

In terms of the muffin, our modern bran muffin was born close to this time, and I have a recipe from Fanny Farmer (circa 1905) to share when I post the entirety of this novella :)

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 02:20 AM, Parker Owens said:

Oh my, and I see the pre-war splendor of the clubhouse, and the impossible-to-ignore politesse. And what is being cooked up I wonder? Your descriptions are powerfully evocative of an entirely bygone era, neither patrician nor plebeian, but wholly American.

Parker, it's so interesting you pick up on that aspect, for Wini in other chapters is quite aware of how this period is blossoming into the start of 'America's Century.'

 

Thank you for your great review, and later on, I hope to share some of the pix I have of the actual Clubhouse and resort from this time. Even the detail in this Scrap that the Clubhouse's fireplace burned hickory logs (presumably for the scent…?) is from my source material.

 

Thanks again for your support. It means a lot to me :)

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 03:07 AM, Cole Matthews said:

I like how cheeky Barrett is. She does what she wants, yet there is a kind of vulnerability in her as well. During this era, she seems to want her independence. At the same time, her maternal instincts are being roused by the boy, Bauer. I think she is a bit of a paradox within herself. Anyway, her character is fascinating. I wonder what will happen next! Thanks for sharing with us.

Wow, Cole! I think my editorial team and I were all stunned by this great review. In just a few sentences, you summed up pretty much the entire 'meat and potatoes' of this novella, and did it very well too. Amazing insight.

 

Thanks for your support, and the final segment will be coming soon.

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 03:19 AM, skinnydragon said:

A picture-perfect snapshot of a time we can only envisage in the Kodak of our imagination. :yes:

Don't 'shoot' the messenger, is the author's humble plea, lol. Some very careful work has gone into fact-checking, and some cheeky ignoring of the same has also transpired, but what ya gonna do ;)

 

Yes, the state of photography at this time is an interesting one, and I don't think I even told you, but the department store's official 'snapshot' section is listed official as the 'Kodak Department, First Floor.' This is in the 1913 staff newsletter listing all the employees.

 

Thanks for all your support and feedback. I appreciate it a great deal.

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 05:10 AM, Timothy M. said:

Wini was almost too polite, but more for the sake of Mr. McIntyre than his wife. After that woman says "I worked too, but a woman's real job begins when she sets up a house and makes it a warm and inviting home for children." I soooo wanted Wini to say “Well, that would entail such a woman being capable of doing so. If not, her potential children would have been better off being born to another woman.” :evil::lol:

Thanks, Tim. Reading your version of what Wini might have said to Constance makes me think some china would have been thrown. Gosh, Mrs. McIntire would have lost it, because I don’t think she's used to intelligent 'backtalk,' she certainly does not get it from her 'Mister.'

 

Thanks for a great review, and for all your tireless support.

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 08:38 AM, Defiance19 said:

Mrs. McIntire is a tad snooty huh.. It will be an interesting relationship between her and Miss Barrett who seems to be determined and strong willed. But, last chapter ended with her crying herself to sleep, add to that her interaction with Bauer and we see a sensitive and perceptive side to her too.

As usual AC your descriptions put me right in the heart of it..

Looking forward to part 3...

Lol, yes – Constance is awash in her own pretense. I guess being freshly married to department manager is a higher rung than she thought she could begin her social climb. She probably has grand visions for the future. As for why these two are butting heads, it may be resentment on the part of the Missus. Maybe her 'work' was something she did not really want to give up, but she had to because it was expected. The existence of an executive-level professional like Winifred rankles her, I suspect, but don’t know for sure.

 

Thanks for a great review, and a few more tears will be shed by Wini in the final segment as well….

Link to comment

Well, the big question right now is: what is Bauer's connection with Miss Barrett? And why is he staying with the McIntyre's when the wife doesn't seem to like him? Is he adopted?
Lots to find out, and goodness knows when we'll get answers if the full novella isn't coming out until much later...sigh.
So, we have a heroine and a villainess this time around? :)

Link to comment
On 05/23/2016 10:59 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Well, the big question right now is: what is Bauer's connection with Miss Barrett? And why is he staying with the McIntyre's when the wife doesn't seem to like him? Is he adopted?

Lots to find out, and goodness knows when we'll get answers if the full novella isn't coming out until much later...sigh.

So, we have a heroine and a villainess this time around? :)

The first question is apparently easy to answer: they are co-workers. As for what Mr. and Mrs. McIntire's connection to the boy is…well, the next installment has an answer for us.

 

And the 1913 tale is all Winifred! She is most certainly the heroine :)

 

Thanks for your support, ColumbusGuy. I appreciate the heck outta it.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

She scoffed, thrusting her spine back on her seat. "I worked too, but a woman's real job begins when she sets up a house and makes it a warm and inviting home for children."
What a load of malarkey that was. She probably has that line engraved on her brain as a way to justify her choice in life. I notice too, they have no children....
Me thinks this woman's doth protest too much. At first, I was. giving her the benefit of a doubt, but her thought of Bauer being an idiot changed my mind. I think she is quite jealous of Wini who has the gumption to stand up against convention whereas Mrs. McIntire did not or could not.
I'm really enjoying the descriptive actions of all the characters as I can see it all clearly in my mind's eye. It's these details that aid the reader in the thought processes of the characters rather than just extrapolating what's going on from just their words.
Lastly, Bauer is a dear. So clever and good natured. I hope he isn't exposed to Mrs. McIntire for too much longer. He deserves better. Maybe he is just with her and hubby for this trip because he needed a chaperone? I hope that's it.

Link to comment
On 05/25/2016 02:59 AM, Reader1810 said:

She scoffed, thrusting her spine back on her seat. "I worked too, but a woman's real job begins when she sets up a house and makes it a warm and inviting home for children."

What a load of malarkey that was. She probably has that line engraved on her brain as a way to justify her choice in life. I notice too, they have no children....

Me thinks this woman's doth protest too much. At first, I was. giving her the benefit of a doubt, but her thought of Bauer being an idiot changed my mind. I think she is quite jealous of Wini who has the gumption to stand up against convention whereas Mrs. McIntire did not or could not.

I'm really enjoying the descriptive actions of all the characters as I can see it all clearly in my mind's eye. It's these details that aid the reader in the thought processes of the characters rather than just extrapolating what's going on from just their words.

Lastly, Bauer is a dear. So clever and good natured. I hope he isn't exposed to Mrs. McIntire for too much longer. He deserves better. Maybe he is just with her and hubby for this trip because he needed a chaperone? I hope that's it.

Thanks for a great review, Reader. I like your take on Wini, and also on Constance. Arnold Bauer is employed by Mr. McIntire in his shipping department, but under special circumstances. We'll learn a bit more about that in the next installment.

 

Your feedback on my personal 'writing balance' is wonderful to hear, and you express the desired effects well too. Actions speak louder than words, and they do not have to be elaborately explained – readers are smart (pun intended ;) ) – and just need a hint. In this segment for example, Wini stirs a lump of sugar into her coffee immediately before asking McIntire the 'scary' question about borrowing Bauer for her photography assignment. I think that actions speaks perfectly to her mood and mindset, although it's still open to the interpretation of the reader.

 

Thanks again for an awesome review. It made, and continues to make, me smile :)

Link to comment

Your writing has always been so detailed and picture-perfect, and these scraps are no different.

 

I felt like I was right there smelling the aroma of the flowers, but also feeling sad because they live so fleetingly, but they leave behind their scent at least for a little while.

 

I was like "You go, girl!" to Wini when she sat right down at the McIntyre's (McIntire?) table! What a bold, brave move! She knows the Missus can't stand her, so she sat down just to piss her off. lol

 

I did cringe when Constance explained what a woman's "job" is -- in the kitchen, but not far from the bedroom! :P Oops! That was MY definition. Sorry! lol But seriously, back in those days (and I'm sorry if I sound stupid), but I really didn't know women worked then. And Wini owns her own store? Was that done? If women worked, weren't they just secretaries? I am showing my stupidity now, sorry. lol

 

Anyway...another awesome chapter, AC! :)

Link to comment
On 06/07/2016 11:34 AM, Lisa said:

Your writing has always been so detailed and picture-perfect, and these scraps are no different.

 

I felt like I was right there smelling the aroma of the flowers, but also feeling sad because they live so fleetingly, but they leave behind their scent at least for a little while.

 

I was like "You go, girl!" to Wini when she sat right down at the McIntyre's (McIntire?) table! What a bold, brave move! She knows the Missus can't stand her, so she sat down just to piss her off. lol

 

I did cringe when Constance explained what a woman's "job" is -- in the kitchen, but not far from the bedroom! :P Oops! That was MY definition. Sorry! lol But seriously, back in those days (and I'm sorry if I sound stupid), but I really didn't know women worked then. And Wini owns her own store? Was that done? If women worked, weren't they just secretaries? I am showing my stupidity now, sorry. lol

 

Anyway...another awesome chapter, AC! :)

Thank you, Lisa. I love hearing that you were drawn in by the daylilies. That's a special moment, and special scene.

 

Wini doesn't own the store, but she has a management-level position. When the larger novella comes out you can better see what her title of 'Integration Consultant' entails.

 

As for women working, I love the question. I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but from a layman's perspective, it seems working in retail was one of the first professional careers American women could build. I have an employee newsletter from the department store Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney, which was issued at the start of January 1950 to commemorate their 100th anniversary. One of the specific milestones they highlight is Scruggs' progressive role in employing women as sales clerks beginning in 1870s, asserting they were the first department store in the nation to do so. As an aside, I have other Gay History sources which give first-hand accounts on what a 'typical' sales clerk boy was like – let's just say Gay boys have always worked at Macy's ;)

 

So, women could and did build careers in the retail world. The specific booklet I possess for Famous-Barr in 1913 lists all the executives in the company, and I'd say about one quarter of them are women. That being said, they were women like Wini – unmarried and devoted to the organization, but perhaps many of them did not want to be married, like Wini.

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I really like Barrett. She's eschewing convention at a time when it was not easy to do so. I admire her pluck and can relate to her as a woman who chose a career over having a family. I loved the exchange at the breakfast table and the descriptions of the muffin (now I want a muffin...lol) and waving the jam knife at the retreating jerk. Nice job :)

Link to comment
On 06/09/2016 01:35 PM, Valkyrie said:

I really like Barrett. She's eschewing convention at a time when it was not easy to do so. I admire her pluck and can relate to her as a woman who chose a career over having a family. I loved the exchange at the breakfast table and the descriptions of the muffin (now I want a muffin...lol) and waving the jam knife at the retreating jerk. Nice job :)

Thanks, Val! I have a vintage bran muffin recipe to share in the appendix of this novella. It's a Fanny Farmer gem circa 1905, so one Wini could have enjoyed at the resort.

 

As for how Wini handled herself, I think Constance was boorish to act as she did, and Wini brave and good and reasonable.

 

Thank you again for your support. I appreciate it!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..