Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Weird and monstrous, eldritch story...

The Mantis Continuum - Book Four - 24. Chapter 24 - Unadi

Unadi alone in the city...

Unadi ran aimlessly down one narrow street after another. Madness seemed to be his only guide. Ilya had lost track of him shortly after he rushed out of Red Raven’s.

He raced under the bright sign at the edge of Gate Town, turned down an alleyway, and at its other end he found himself on an old abandoned airstrip. He kept running. The area was desolate and the pavement was already getting hot, even though the morning sun was still on its climb. Unadi ran straight through the middle, across the vast expanse of concrete, until he reached the coast of Widdershins Bay.

He stopped at the water’s edge and looked out at the protruding hulk of the Breakneck Shipwreck. The jagged old metal battleship looked to him like a row of crooked grey teeth, and Unadi’s mouth snapped at the air, as if his body was inadvertently attempting the act of chewing for the first time.

A hot wind blew over the flat Oselian runway, and it sounded like faraway voices in his head. They called out, “Hey, are you okay?”

Unadi ignored the voices of the wind.

Another question came from the same direction, and the words of the wind sounded different. “Do you need help?”

As Unadi continued chewing the air, he thought to himself, The wind is very talkative this particular morning.

A hand came to his shoulder.

Unadi spun around in shock, but it was just two people.

One of them said, “We saw you run out here,” and the other added, “Are you okay?” but Unadi screamed in their faces like a banshee, and he fled.

He ran straight back in the direction from which he came, and he left the two concerned and startled individuals standing on the hot tarmac. He rushed into the tight alleyways again, and soon found himself at the center of Teshon City by the ruins of the Messiah Tower. The rubble blocked his way and forced him east toward the entrance to Gate Town.

Beneath the rainbow sign at the border to the welcoming borough, Unadi came upon a grey-haired peddler who was opening his cart and about to start his day. The old man snapped his fingers, and words appeared in the air that hovered above his head like decorative smoke. They read NOW OPEN in pink and silver letters.

Unadi approached the Shift man and attacked

uh oh...
2023
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
How will everything and everyone connect?
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Unadi kept running to escape his demons. He avoided everyone including two who tried to help him till the end. He is acting very aggressive. He attacked and surprised an old peddler who was setting up to sell his wares. Will the old man be killed or injured or will he be able to defend himself and injure Unadi? What will it take to get Unadi to find peace and not attack others ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

We are getting to the culmination of this 'not a good idea' arc. When Olona read about the negatives of removing Mantis glands, she should have had some second thoughts.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..