Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Weird and monstrous, eldritch story...

The Mantis Continuum - Book Four - 31. Chapter 31 - The Little Girl & the Little Girl

We take you now to another realm of existence...

In a grey world of nothing, a little girl was all alone. She was squatted down, hugging her knees, and she was whimpering.

“Hi,” said a voice.

The girl looked up and cuffed the tears from her eyes.

There was nothing.

All around her, the ground stretched out flat until it faded to grey in the impossible distance.

“Hi,” the voice said again, this time, from over the girl’s shoulder.

She stood and turned around. The girl was young, no more than 12. Her hair was red and curly and her cheeks were freckled. She was dressed in a plain shirt and trousers, and her feet were bare.

Walking up to her was another little girl; the girls were identical.

“Hi!” the new girl said brightly.

“Why do you look like me?”

“Why do you look like me?” the other girl repeated with a giggle.

“Where’d you come from?”

“Where’d you come from?”

The girl was immediately irritated with the annoying game, and she declared, “I don’t like this place, and I don’t like you messing with me.”

The second girl’s expression fell. “I’m sorry. I was just trying to play so we could be friends. I’m a Bio-Shift, like you, and I just want to help.”

The little redhead’s curiosity piqued. “A Bio-Shift…”

“I don’t like this place the way it is either,” the other redhead added.

“What do you mean? Is it sometimes not like this?” The girl looked around at the blurry grey horizon. “It makes me feel unhappy.”

“Yeah, sometimes it’s… I don’t know, different than how it is now. This isn’t how it should be. Do you wanna leave?”

“Can we do that?” the first girl asked.

“Not exactly,” the other girl answered, “there’s no way to just leave this place. We’re gonna have to make this place not exist, so we won’t be here anymore.”

The girl did not like the sound of that. “I don’t want to not exist,” she replied.

“But this place shouldn’t exist, and together we can make it go away so it never bothers you or anybody again.”

“How do we do that?” the redhead asked hesitantly.

“By letting it go,” the other redhead answered.

The girl paused and said, “That sounds scary.”

The second girl sighed. “It is, a little,” she admitted. “I don’t want to be here anymore, and I think you should go, too.” She reached out her hand.

“I don’t wanna just go.”

“It’s gonna be scary, but then it’s gonna be better.”

For a moment, there was no sound.

The first little girl gazed at the vast emptiness, and she tentatively reached out to take the identical hand of the other girl. Their fingers connected, and the blurry grey horizon slowly began to close in on them from all directions.

The girl looked around in panic. “I changed my mind! I don’t like this at all!”

The faded distance drew closer and closer.

“Don’t let it get me! Stop this!” she pleaded with the other girl, who remained silent.

The grey was almost upon them.

“Please, don’t! I just want to stay! I can stay here! No!” the girl screamed, as the grey enveloped them both, and they were no more

😵
2023
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Wow 3
How will everything and everyone connect?
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

For those who don't remember, the cute redheaded girl is Lahari before she was changed. Lahari is being led home.

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Oh, what a idea, they just don't exist anymore.  Have to think that would be a scary thing to contemplate, even if you did not like where you were, to not exist well....  

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

A better idea would be to once Lahari is back, would be to transport all the remaining gunge to the gray dimension

  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
56 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

A better idea would be to once Lahari is back, would be to transport all the remaining gunge to the gray dimension

You need a mind to go there. I like Sumi's concrete solution better.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow--Lahari has disappeared. Has her existence ended or did she go to a new reality? She was no longer a bio-shift and that is surprising

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
7 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Wow--Lahari has disappeared. Has her existence ended or did she go to a new reality? She was no longer a bio-shift and that is surprising

There is an underlying narrative here. Regardless of their current appearance or abilities, all the Bio Shifts we've seen are still who they were before.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..