Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Weird and monstrous, eldritch story...

The Mantis Continuum - Book Four - 36. Chapter 36 - Shifton Youth Outreach Center

The queens' plans are finally complete!

“Welcome, everyone,” Dotty Marbles called out to the gathered crowd. “Thank you all for joining us this morning for the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the Shifton Youth Outreach Center!”

The small group of onlookers replied with boisterous applause. Several of the queens’ queeniest friends were there, and they were exuberant. Among them were Miss Cleopatra, Mrs. Venus, Madame Petunia, and Dame Angelica. Zular was also there and Ninyani was beside her.

“Dot and I,” Auntie Peg attempted, but the cheering would not diminish. “Gurls, please!” she said with a playful scowl, then she flashed her beaming smile at everyone and continued. “We are so pleased to be able to provide a home for the city’s abandoned. The two of us are the house mothers, and some of our favorite young people are the first residents!”

The mystic and Theolan were standing with the group of children. Dotty Marbles reached out toward the little ones and said, “Fennah, Thech, Jzuna, Ninyani, and Muunith, would you five like to join us?”

They sheepishly approached.

“Sumi and Harakin,” Auntie Peg added, “have also decided to become permanent residents here at the Outreach Center.”

Dozi grabbed Harakin and Sumi’s hands. “What’s this?” she whispered. “You don’t want to live with me anymore?”

“Actually, Dozi,” Auntie Peg interjected with a smile, “Dot and I haven’t had the opportunity to talk to you yet, but since we’ll be living here now with the children, we’d like to offer our home to you and Tchama and Ilya. We know you’re very fond of your basement, but we thought we’d give you the option of moving into Shifton.”

Dozi was stunned. She did not know what to say, and she did not mention that Ilya was gone.

Really?” Tchama exclaimed.

“And Dozi,” Dotty Marbles added, “you don’t have to make any major decisions right this moment.”

“Why don’t we all head inside so the kids can show you what they’ve done to the place?” Auntie Peg recommended, and she opened the large wooden doors that led into the building.

The foyer was bright, and the room was welcoming.

Dotty Marbles indicated several different spaces the guests could see. “This will be our greeting area, and over here is a lounge with a few games and things for the kids. Those stairs lead to the dorms, but let’s go into the auditorium before heading up.”

“This way!” Auntie Peg called, and she entered the grand room.

Dotty Marbles continued explaining things to the group. “The auditorium will be our primary space. We’ll serve meals in here. We’ll host events and parties; this is the heart of the Shifton Youth Outreach Center.” A little sob threatened to bring her to tears, and she tapped her cheeks with her fingertips. “Hold it together,” she whispered to herself very loud and dramatically. “This old bitch promised herself she wouldn’t cry!”

The other queens cackled.

Auntie Peg took Dotty Marbles’ hand and said, “Many of us have spent time living on the Teshon City streets. Some of you grew up on them. This place is here to help relieve even just a tiny fraction of that burden. The lost and abandoned children who live in the gutters deserve a better life, a safe place, and we want to offer that here.” Auntie Peg turned to the two unique Biological Shift children and said, “Thech, Jzuna, will you please join us?”

Thech shuffled over and stood next to Dotty Marbles, and she put her hand on his slimy shoulder. Jzuna floated beside Auntie Peg.

“Thech and Jzuna have told us a lot about their mother, who very recently died, and it sounds like she was a rare and compassionate woman. She loved them for exactly who they are, and they want to provide for others those same feelings of acceptance.”

Jzuna’s voice came from all around the auditorium. “Our mama took good care of us, even though we’re different, and we want to help all the kids who are different like us and don’t have a mommy who takes care of them.” She repeated a little quieter, “Our mama took good care of us.”

“Yes, she did,” Bivon confirmed with an emotional smile. He was standing with the mystic and Theolan. Lahari was also with them, and Dozi and Tchama were beside her.

The sunlight was shining into the auditorium from the large glass doors that led out onto the patio.

“There are others like you,” Auntie Peg said to Thech and Jzuna, “and also like you, Fennah and Ninyani. Those other kids who don’t have a mommy or daddy to take care of them anymore; those little ones will find a home here.”

Theolan let out a little chuckle of disbelief. “Wow, you two ladies are pretty fabulous.”

Both queens smiled and curtsied.

“Kids, why don’t you lead the way upstairs,” Dotty Marbles suggested, “and show everyone what you’ve got to show them.”

Fennah made a squeaky noise of delight and scampered to the bottom of the stairs. Jzuna floated behind her and Thech followed.

“Off you go,” Auntie Peg said to Ninyani and Muunith, and they joined the other children.

At the top of the stairs, the mystic commented to Auntie Peg, “This place is more incredible than I could have imagined.”

“Here’s my room!” Fennah declared with a toothy smile as she stepped through the first doorway. The interior was painted in light purple with accents of black.

“It’s just lovely,” Theolan said to her.

“Peggy,” the mystic continued, “what about the clinic?”

Auntie Peg smiled at him. “I’ve run it for almost eight years, and several on my team have come a long way. They’ve been interested in taking over for a while. And Dot has had the idea for this center since before we were together. We’ve been looking for a building a little more seriously since we moved into Shifton with Ninyani a few months ago, but we’ve been keeping the details under wraps.”

“Peggy has eased enough people through their passing from the blood corruption,” Dotty Marbles added, “and I think its time for her to have something a little brighter in her life, feeding her soul.” She gave her beloved a peck on the cheek.

Auntie Peg let out a contented sigh. “I am ready for a change.”

“Excuse me, mystic?” Jzuna’s voice said from behind him and the queens, and he turned to face her.

“Yes, my dear?”

“Thech and I have never had our own rooms before, but Peggy and Dot said we could have side by side rooms that are our very own!”

“That is a tremendous idea,” the mystic replied, stepping into the doorframe.

“And I love your color selection,” Lahari added.

“Yes, indeed,” her father agreed, “the yellow and royal purple are so vibrant!”

Jzuna’s one enormous eye squinted a little, and if the girl possessed a mouth, the mystic thought Jzuna would be smiling. “Let’s go see Thech’s pretty colors.”

The mystic laughed. “Sounds fabulous, Jzuna, lead the way!”

She floated to the next doorway and waved her tentacles in the direction of her brother, but the mystic paused.

“Oh my goodness, Jzuna, it’s been a few days since I’ve seen you and I meant to ask, how is your hurt arm doing?”

Jzuna extended her damaged limb and said, “It’s getting much better, thank you. It’s not perfect yet, and I don’t think it’ll ever grow back, but it doesn’t hurt so much now.”

Bivon stepped up behind the mystic and said, “That is so good to hear, honey.”

Jzuna led them into her brother’s room. Thech was standing in the middle of it, facing them, and he was not moving. His walls were painted with green on green swirls that snaked all the way around and even stretched up across the ceiling.

“I love these designs, Thech,” Bivon declared. “The monochromatic vibe is very classy.”

Thech let out a single hum and Jzuna giggled.

“Do you want to see my room?” Ninyani asked quietly.

“Yes, please, show us!” Theolan replied.

Ninyani’s walls were decorated with three wide bands of color. The top third was pale pink; the bottom third was pale blue, and in between, the off-white tone of the primer was allowed to show through.

“Oh, I just love it!” Zular cried out, stepping through the doorframe and wrapping the boy in a tight embrace.

“Thanks again for letting Ninyani stay with you,” Dotty Marbles whispered to Zular, “while we’ve been putting the finishing touches on this place.”

Zular made a dramatic face like she was surprised to even be thanked. “I adore this little duckling!” she cooed, and she squeezed Ninyani, pressing her cheek against his and making him laugh.

“Zular, I’ve loved getting to know you for the past couple days!” he squeaked.

Fennah was bouncing around everyone, and she declared in her bright voice, “We’re all going to live here now!” She was very excited.

Each of the rooms was furnished with a bed and a little desk positioned under the window, and even the empty rooms that did not yet have lost children living in them already held the same two pieces of furniture. In Jzuna’s room, a brand new net hung above where the bed would have been, and she and her brother’s tub was in Thech’s green-patterned room. There were 18 rooms in all, ready to house the abandoned youth of Teshon City.

“These others are finished,” Fennah said to whoever would listen to her, “and someday there will be kids who will come and stay in them with us here, and they can pick out colors to paint their rooms also!”

Harakin laughed. “Yes, that’s all true. The other lost children out there will be welcome in here.”

Fennah scurried to the next doorway. “But this room will be Muunith’s!”

Muunith smiled.

“We like them a lot!” Fennah added.

Muunith was still in rough shape from being attacked a few days earlier, and they were still staying with the mystic and Theolan.

“You’re a special little one, Muunith,” Sumi said, “and you fit in perfectly here with us.”

“We can all help you paint your room later this week when you’re feeling better,” Fennah added.

In the hallway, Auntie Peg and Dotty Marbles stepped up side by side and each wrapped an arm around the other.

“This place is just wonderful,” Theolan said to them, “and you are both wonderful!”

“Well, as you know,” Auntie Peg replied with a smirk, “we do all of this for the praise!”

Dotty Marbles laughed at her beloved, and the mystic and his husband joined their frivolity.

The booming voice of a woman came from outside. “Hello, everyone.”

Fennah scampered over to the room’s open window, and her entire view was filled with an enormous face. “You must be Heavyfeather!” The little girl was almost nose to nose with the giantess. “Peggy and Dot have told us all about you!”

Heavyfeather let out a booming laugh that knocked Fennah to her backside, and the girl shrieked with glee. “You are correct, very little one,” she said in her booming voice. “I am Heavyfeather, and it’s lovely to meet you. I’m so happy for you to have this new home with the queens.”

“So am I!” Fennah jumped up and screamed in joy.

Heavyfeather laughed again. “What’s your name, little one?”

“I’m Fennah!”

Heavyfeather smiled, looked past her, and said, “Peggy, Dot, this place is remarkably different from how it was when the three of us met here. I’m astonished at all you’ve accomplished!”

“Thank you, Heavyfeather,” Auntie Peg replied. “This building really is perfect. Oh, and we haven’t told you; we figured out what it used to be! Ninyani found some records in an old filing cabinet tucked away in one of the closets.”

Dotty Marbles smiled warmly and said, “This building used to be a school.”

“Oh, that makes sense,” Heavyfeather replied with a rumbling chuckle, “of course it was a school, and it has again become a place for children!”

Everyone,” Auntie Peg called out, “why don’t we head down to the back pavilion area outside where we’ve got some drinks and treats. Our other friends have arrived, and they’re excited to join in the celebration with us! Fennah, would you like to lead the way back downstairs?”

“Follow me!” The beaming child skipped off through the adults and led the way. Once in the auditorium again, Fennah turned toward the large glass doors that opened out onto the patio, and she skipped through them, waving at Heavyfeather. To the child’s surprise, there was a second giant with the gargantuan woman, as well as quite a few normal-sized people.

Auntie Peg and Dottie Marbles followed the other children out onto the patio, and the rest of the adults were behind them.

“Fennah, it’s such a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” Heavyfeather boomed. “And this is Pinga,” the giantess added, indicating the woman beside her.

Fennah repeated Heavyfeather’s words with unbridled glee. “Pinga, it’s such a pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Pinga chuckled. “Hey there, kiddo!” She had a shaved head and a piercing in each nostril.

Lahari let out a little laugh at Fennah’s joy, and Auntie Peg strode past her, whispering, “What a firecracker, huh?” She stepped up and gave Pinga a peck on the cheek. “Hey, gals!” she said, looking up at Heavyfeather. Auntie Peg then stepped off to one side with Dotty Marbles.

“Fennah, please allow me to introduce you to some other folks,” Heavyfeather continued with a wide smile, “including a few new friends I’ve made. This is Ogomo.”

“Hello, Ogomo!” Fennah called up to him, jumping as high as she could.

“My, aren’t you an energetic little sprite?” Ogomo replied. “This is my big sister Nahli and my first mate Z’Matri.”

“Hello! Hello!” Fennah said with excessive waving.

Ogomo let out a loud chuckle and Fennah giggled with him. “There are a couple of boys over by the food, of course,” the giant said with a grin. “You should introduce yourself to them, Kosephaji and Duna. They’re a little older than you kids, but they’re good lads.”

“Do they need a place to stay?” Fennah squeaked. “Maybe they should move in here with us!”

Dotty Marbles squeezed Auntie Peg’s hand and whispered to her beloved, “She just the sweetest pumpkin!”

“That’s very thoughtful of you,” Ogomo replied to Fennah, “but right now they’ve got a place with me and my crew.” He nodded his gigantic head toward his sister.

“Yeah,” Nahli added, “all of us are set with lodging. But go say hello. They’re right there,” and she pointed.

Kosephaji and Relliduna were talking to Olona. She was smoking a joint.

Jzuna floated beside Thech, and they made their way over to the table with the snacks.

Fennah trotted up and said, “Thech and Jzuna, this is Kosephaji and Duna.”

The two 17 year olds looked down at the little girl, who they did not know. “That’s correct,” Relliduna replied with a confused smile. “I’m Relliduna, but my friends all call me Duna. This is Kosephaji, and this is Olona. Do you three already know Olona?”

“Of course, silly!” Fennah replied with a chirping laugh.

“You two are Bio-Shifts, right?” Kosephaji asked Thech and Jzuna.

“Yes,” Jzuna replied.

“Our friend was one, too.”

“He was very unique,” Relliduna added, “just like you both.”

“Where is he?” Fennah asked.

Relliduna and Kosephaji’s faces fell.

“He’s gone.”

“Our ship crashed,” Relliduna explained. “A few people were lost at sea, and he was among them.”

“Did you look for him?” Fennah asked.

“One of Ogomo’s crew is a Shift, Z’Matri,” and he pointed over toward the man beside the giant. “He can sense other Shifts,” Relliduna continued. “He can feel Shifts on the other side of the world, but he can’t feel our friend anymore.”

Thech had remained motionless and silent, but he let out a single low grunt, and his sister turned in the air and faced him. For a moment, the two did not move or make a sound.

“Jzuna, Thech, are you okay?” Fennah asked.

Nothing happened.

Kosephaji and Relliduna looked at each other, but then Jzuna’s eye blinked and she turned to them.

“Thech says he isn’t strong enough.”

“What is Thech not strong enough to do?” Olona asked.

Jzuna’s eye looked like it was frowning. “No, not Thech,” she said, “Z’Matri.”

Kosephaji and Relliduna looked at each other again.

“Z’Matri isn’t strong enough?” Kosephaji asked.

“Yes,” Jzuna confirmed.

“But we just told you, he can sense Shifts all around the world.”

“Thech says he’s not strong enough to feel your friend.”

Kosephaji, Relliduna, and Olona all turned to look at the man beside the giant.

Suddenly, a radiant luminescence shined throughout the courtyard, and all conversations ceased, as everyone’s eyes turned to the unique pair of Biological Shift children.

Jzuna was attached to her brother’s chest. She closed her huge eye, and Thech’s eyes again brightened to a point that had everyone else averting or shielding their eyes.

Across the courtyard, Z’Matri’s limbs seized, and he became rigid where he stood. A gentle light surrounded him like the glow of the moon, and his feet lifted off the ground, so that he hovered in a standing position.

Z’Matri spoke into the silent courtyard, and his voice was a strange forced monotone. “Pelipi is alive.”

His feet lowered, the illumination disappeared, and his body released its grip. He staggered but managed to keep his footing. “What just happened to me?” he snapped. Then he added in a surprised tone, “I can feel Pelipi!”

😍
2023
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
How will everything and everyone connect?
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The Outreach Center was a pleasant surprise, but the most joyous news is Pelipi is alive. Junza and Thech come through again.

I never gave up hope on Pelipi.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

What a wonderful, encouraging, needed surprise--The former school has been transformed by many hands into a shelter for homeless youth. Everyone is so happy and ready to help even more. Many residents are ready to move into brightly painted rooms.

As a great exclamation point to a very special day and new beginning for young people in need, Z’Matri announced she could feel Pelipi who is no longer lost. Hopefully a lost friend can be brought here soon.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Pelipi is alive, I am so happy.  What a wonderful thing Auntie Peg and Dottie have done.  It will be a blessing to all.  That said, I see issues with so many youth in one area with evil afoot.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..